test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lair Of The Mad Dragon

mutelunaticmutelunatic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Just did LOTMD for the first time. It was a pug group I am a lvl 33 DC, we had a lvl 30 GF, and 3 rogues level 30,32,36. No one in the group had successfully completed the dungeon before. I knew the fight was a real bear and had read up a bit on the mechanics. I knew this was basically an endurance fight that would take quite a long time.

Because the adds are so important I started talking about picking up adds during boss fights from the minute I entered the dungeon. I tried what I could to keep the rogues from tunnel visioning the bosses. We struggled on the first boss and I had to chug some pots to keep alive. After that things got easier as people payed a bit more attention.

When we got to the dragon we tried the standard tank takes the dragon and everyone else kills adds then him. This didn't work very well. We got the boss down to 20% I had died at about 40% due to adds. The rogues weren't really paying much attention and I was getting hit hard and often. While dead I noticed the dragon doesn't really move around a lot and its pretty easy to dodge his stuff.

For the 2nd attempt I told the group to have the 36 rogue tank the dragon while everyone else was on add duty. When all adds were dead they could throw some dps onto the dragon. I explained this fight was intended to be a 15-20 minute endurance fight. This time the warrior did a great job, grabbing all the add aggro he could and the 2 rogues on add duty did a good job burning and or tanking them. I had a lot less pressure on me and was able to keep myself out of trouble. I chugged about 15 of the regular (2000 hp) healing potions during the fight. Mostly anytime I stayed to long in something bad I would have to chug 1 or 2 to get back to full. Since I'm a cleric I had 97 just from regular looting so this wasn't a big deal.

We had 1 rogue that liked to stand in red stuff but everyone else seemed to be good at dodging the bad. I was able to keep up with healing. I used Hallowed Ground as my Daily, My encounters were Sun Burst, Forgemasters Flame, Healing Word. I tried to keep Astral Seal on the boss and any big adds. I would use FF wherever the most amount of people were standing. The boss tank rogue only needed the occasional Healing word and my Astral Seal on the boss. We downed him on this attempt which was our 2nd try.

So the boss wasn't that bad. I was lucky to have a group that listened to a change of plan and execute on it. I'm fairly certain some potions were chugged but I don't think anyone used any premium items. I would suggest you go in with a plan and keep a positive attitude with your group. The fight is hard and more of a brick wall than I would expect at these levels but definitely doable with a standard level, standard geared pug.
Post edited by mutelunatic on

Comments

• forumspiritbxforumspiritbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This, its good to know that a few people know how to play, as a TR I was tanking the boss, but no one could actually do anything to the adds, then they dropped one by one and I ended up soloing the boss and the adds, I gave up, no way i could attack and dodge the 3 aoes that pop under me every second. I just with people people knew their role, it would be easier since some cleric think their role is DPS, tanks don't aggro mobs, they just attack 1-2 mobs and do no damage, so they keep tanking the same mob for ever while the heal is getting owned and the dps get no healing.

also, kinda wished my companion wouldn't die so fast, since no one keeps aggro off of my companion, he dies almost instantly.
  • hypercubecubehypercubecube Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You got lucky OP, the stars need to align for you to best Lair in a pug. My 45 skirmish is getting worse every day now