test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which at will abilities to use while leveling?

cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Temple
Hi, I am curious which at will abilities to use?

I am lvl 28, and have been using lance of faith and astral seal. However recently I have switched to Sacred Flame and Astral seal.

Thoughts?
Post edited by cesmode8 on

Comments

• Options
    dynamicdyanmitedynamicdyanmite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    For my encounters I used Daunting Light and Chains of the Blazing Sun, all the way up to level 45, really.

Daunting Light does a HUGE amount of damage and Chains of the Blazing Sun has a ton of utility, compared with all the AoE damage. I can instantly kill trash mobs huddled together with just one Daunting Light with Divinity on.

You're last encounter is really up to you, but personally I used Forgemaster's Flame for the insane healing when casted w/ Divinity.

I've also got the same at-will setup as you.
  • Options
    prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lance does more damage than Sacred Flame, so I usually use that when I'm soloing. I switch to SF when in a group, though. It might depend on how many points you've spent in each, though.

Astral Seal is too useful to ever take off the bar.
  • Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i'm using:

forgemaster's flame
    healing word
    daunting light

sacred flame
    astral seal

i'm going to switch out HW for AS when i hit 50 (ofc).
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Himm...mixed respones on sacred flame vs lance...
    Need moar input. Consider equal points spent in each.
  • Options
    zepheazephea Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes I would like to know too. (For those commenting on things other than at will abilities that is not the OP's question. It's which spells on the left and right mouse buttons if I'm understanding correctly.)
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

The MMO may change but the inventory tetris stays the same.
  • Options
    zepheazephea Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sacred flame looks kinda woosy cf lance but haven't really tried and I don't get D-mode if that is relevant here. Looking for learned peeps response :)
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

The MMO may change but the inventory tetris stays the same.
  • Options
    theosymphanytheosymphany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not that high level yet (39 atm) so this probably might change at later levels. I have both with 2 points currently. I find Sacred flame to be good in party/ dungeons because of the AOE heal on 3rd hit, which can sometimes mean you don't need to bother healing individuals at all and just sit back and spam Sacred flame (after casting Astral Seal), provided you don't have lots of adds on you. I've mixed it up and not seeing big difference between SF/ LoF. Lance of faith may do more target damage each strike, but when you are at medium-long range the projectile travel time is slow compared to Sacred flame, and at short-medium range you'd rather have the sacred flame heal to face tank mobs and cut healing time between fights. If I really want to DPS stuff down solo I guess left click LoF and right click Brand of the Sun (or Astral Seal if you need the top up for companions etc) is fastest. Your playstyle may vary.

TL;DR: Prefer Sacred flame due to faster cast and AOE heal. I use sacred flame/Astral Seal in groups, Sacred flame/ Brand of the Sun Solo for DPS.
    Kaelac Symphony LaggyGamerz Community
    Guild and guide info

Module 4 Comprehensive DC guide |Module 4 MoF CW Handbook |New! Scourge Warlock Guide| NW Numbers and Mechanics guide |Crit, Power and DPS guide | Dungeon Delving guide and more
  • Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    Himm...mixed respones on sacred flame vs lance...
    Need moar input. Consider equal points spent in each.

LoF is straight-out more damage, but SF is more utility (temporary hit-points, no travel time, etc). i don't think lance does enough damage to put points into, though, when i can just put three points in SF and have more or less equal damage, but more utility through certain talents and temporary hit points.
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone had any use from Brand of the Sun?

While it doesn't seem to be bad, it just can't seem to compete with Astral Seal.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    Has anyone had any use from Brand of the Sun?

While it doesn't seem to be bad, it just can't seem to compete with Astral Seal.

It all depends on level. Scaling doesn't happen correctly for all abilities all the way up, so Lance of faith from level 25 or so becomes a little less effective ability to use, better to use Sacred flame (this is up to about level 38 or 40). This changes around level 40-42, I believe, and stays constant to near the end-game. It's held true so far, and held true in beta.

Brand of the Sun should replace Astral Seal as your single-cast at-will (basically tag em) from level 35 (36?) up to (so far) level 40. At top level, if you're going DPS priest, then you're probably better off with this ability. It's a fast-cast, front-loaded damage ability with each tick seemingly able to proc rising hope - which is a feat you want proccing constantly as a DPS priest.