test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF and Deflection

borak2borak2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 202 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Out of curiosity, in most threads I see that the GF should be taking defense, recovery, and power etc... no one ever says to take deflection.

Is deflection that bad a stat to try and get. I was thinking of working towards defense, deflection, recovery, power in that order.

Doesn't deflection allow you to avoid damage? I'm confused on this issue. Would a build that specializes in defense/deflection be bad?

Anyone actually try it to see if it was worth it? My GF just dinged 28 and I had been stacking defense and recovery with whatever else was sprinkled on the gear. My dailies are up during every fight but if I switch over to deflection I assume it will take a bit longer to get my dailies, but I can live with that to avoid more damage.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• triddlingtriddling Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You need all the power, crit, recovery that you can get in the battle against cleric agro, so most people find no room for deflection.
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's not bad per se and actually it's pretty good when it procs but you already get a ton of it passively from gear to around 20-25% with Plate Agility. Getting more would seem like a good idea, especially cause the new style of playing the Guardian is less Block oriented, but with Tier 1 the way it is (25% of your HP converted to +Power) the +HP gems are much better offering 700 HP and 180 Power vs just 180 Deflection.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's just that Defense is much more worthwhile for GF because of easily accessible AC: because AC has no diminishing returns, it makes plain damage reduction more valuable as it adds directly to the damage resistance from armour. Additionally, GF happens to have a LOT of nice damage multiplying capability: 10% from Tide debuff, 10% from combat superiority (increasible to 15%), 2x on a single target from knight's challenge, ?? from Villain's menace, 5% from Trample the fallen, potentially 15% from wrathful warrior, 10% from Powerful Attack, 15% to cleave from Cruel Cut Style, potentially 2x power from Conqueror capstone, Even more power from endgame armour set.. (and those can be further increased by crit and combat advantage, of course) Unfortunately most of the skills don't have the usual 10% damage increase per rank.

It's almost as if this game is linear wizard quadratic fighter.
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm running out and just had time to read title.

If you want to deflect your GF while playing NWO tell her you are studying or doing something for the office.
  • borak2borak2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yarknarf wrote: »
    I'm running out and just had time to read title.

If you want to deflect your GF while playing NWO tell her you are studying or doing something for the office.

LOL this made me laugh. Thanks all for the replies. I have a respec in the bank and a bunch of AD saved up. I'll get some deflect gear and try it out just for testing purposes, The gear I have now is all defense, recovery, power and I do fairly well with it.

I was just curious about the deflection.

So more Power + better threat? I assume because it puts out more damage? Is that how it works? I'm built for threat and do a fairly good job of holding aggro up to my level so far.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Threat is directly related to how much damage you deal, with the sole exception of taunting attacks (of which we've only 2: Enforced threat and Knight's Challenge). So yes, damage (and indirectly, power) has a direct effect on threat generation, feats and skills just multiplies that threat.
  • awesismawesism Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Threat is directly related to how much damage you deal, with the sole exception of taunting attacks (of which we've only 2: Enforced threat and Knight's Challenge).

...and Aggravating Strike.

...and all attacks on marked targets if you have Enhanced Mark, which you can apply with Threatening Rush or simply pressing Tab. Also with Enhanced Mark, targets supposedly build threat just from having a mark on them (at least that's how the description is worded).

Edit: ... and Knight's Valor also builds threat.
  • alphretalphret Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    one of the issues with deflection atm is a misconception. because deflections do not show ups as "deflections" or "deflected" in the logs. ppl assume its broken, not proccing or a terrible stat. its working, and its more of a tooltip/ miss labeling issue in the log. as to how good it is, i think that will require 1: a serious threat patch for all the class's mostly tanks and healers and 2: a lot of parsing when the games build is much more improved to figure out correct stat weights. but the second poster is correct based on the current game build, focus on stats that increase your dps as much as you can.

i seen a few comments there about threat being closely related to how much damage you do, this is strictly speaking not true, but i wont go into details here as its covered in other threads. threat is loosely based on how much damage you do , at least its supposed to be. the fact that you can apply mark with threatening rush seems to be to be an ability for example that would be used in a less dps based build, whilst tides of iron would be used in a more dps based build combined with mark on the pull and liberal applications of enforced threat on cd with a heavy recovery based stat itemization. until threat is fixed and the various acknowledged broken abilities and tooltips are fixed...it is simply impossible to get a true handle on guardians atm.
  • snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    High defense/AC makes deflect rather unnecessary.
    You already decrease damage by a lot just from your defenses, there is no need to put a 2nd layer over that.

Thus you'r much better off putting those stats into offensive, or even hp for that part.
    Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
    Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
    Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
    Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min
  • cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a post out there that talks about return on investment.

There was some talk of getting defense to 4kish before shifting your attention to deflect. I think the community is still working out which values are the best to shoot for. I am not going to go into the math... you can look that up. What you do need to know is every time you get hit there are 2 rolls. First DR then Deflect... these can stack. This gives a raw value of about 2.9 deflect % to 1% Dr ratio. But going back to softcaps this value may change. I have also found out that you can stack both these value and end up with a very hardly GF. Though this will not help you with threat even when all feats are built for that.

With that said the current meta demands that if you want a group in T2 you need to basically run as a dps... Conq. at least until PWE start class patching.

So I have to agree with the previous poster Power is definitely something to look at. I personally went all tank... like I thought GF should be... I was sadly mistaken and a bit upset that PWE is taking so long to do anything to resolve GF issues.
  • cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would also like to add while I do not have any evidence at this time I do not think deflect or DR are taken into consideration when you block an attack.
  • torigoma777torigoma777 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't make a thread yet, so thought I might as well post here, as it seems similar. Any way to remap the Block button? it's in a pretty awkward spot.
  • joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I testing deflection now and it can be really good, but its random(% based) and i always hate random things.
    Deflection work on any dmg you receive. Wasnt sure about fall dmg, DoT and combat advantage, but it work on all.

When they fixed agro i think deflection will be better then defence.
    Deflection is great when a lot mobs hitting you with fast attacks(more hits=more chances to proc deflect).