test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You encounter a Dragon!

abradaxabradax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 64
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
The dragon uses flaming breath, you must roll a 15 to save against it.
You roll a 16!
The Dragon summons 2 mages, 7 imps, and a storm trooper!
The dragon uses flaming breath, hits you for 2000 points of damage
Imp 1 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
Imp 2 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
Imp 3 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
Imp 4 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
Imp 5 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
Imp 6 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
Imp 7 attacks you for 200 and snares you by 10%
The mages begin casting fire rain, you are rooted in place!
The dragon uses his flaming breath, you can't move! You are hit by the mages flaming rain AND the dragons breath. You are close to death.

Cleric heals you for 125 points!
Cleric uses his divine ability, you are protected from 5% damage and healed for 300 points!
You drink a potion and receive full health
Your party kills 5 of the imps and 1 mage and the storm trooper

Dragon uses flame breath!
Dragon summons 2 more mages, 8 imps!

At this point, I would punch the DM in the effing face. Seriously.
Encounters need to be tuned. That isn't even a "high level" encounter. That is a level 30 dungeon while people are still learning how to play and don't have many of the skills that could be useful in this fight.

Yes, I know I am going to get flamed with "learn to play ****" and "if you want to progress ,buy gear" or "if you want to do dungeons, get friends"

Well the fact is, you can queue for the dungeons, and I'm all for difficult encounters, but repeatedly grinding on trash is NOT fun, and it is not D&D. Give the dragons and uber mobs better abilities, make them harder to dodge and do more damage. Summoning extra adds is a cheap mechanic to use when you don't have any idea on how to tune the encounter.
Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
Post edited by abradax on

Comments

• Options
    ms18instachims18instachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree. +1
  • Options
    kisraenkisraen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Add amounts are quite ridiculous yeah, but hey, atleast it leads to the always fun game of cat and mouse between adds and the cleric(lolthreat) and me just hoping that I manage to keep the boss's aggro.
    But yeah, the bosses summoning more adds, especially with borked up threat system, is not fun or interesting in any way.
  • Options
    darkhandsdarkhands Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not entirely sure I follow here, but if your point is that dragons are hard... yeah, they are. The fact that you can melee them is basically an insult to their power. They can fly and are usually smart enough not to stand in the reach of your local Conan impersonator. Even white dragons have a 60ft reach with their breath weapon and usually know some level 7 magics and they are considered to be the weaker dumber ones... so... yeah... Dragons are no *****es.
  • Options
    txdekeontxdekeon Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darkhands wrote: »
    I am not entirely sure I follow here, but if your point is that dragons are hard... yeah, they are. The fact that you can melee them is basically an insult to their power. They can fly and are usually smart enough not to stand in the reach of your local Conan impersonator. Even white dragons have a 60ft reach with their breath weapon and usually know some level 7 magics and they are considered to be the weaker dumber ones... so... yeah... Dragons are no *****es.
    Dragons should be difficult.
    But with the broken threat mechanic, all I can do as a cleric in this dungeon is pop one heal spell and spend the rest of the encounter running from adds.
    This would be fine if I could run and cast at the same time. As soon as I stop to cast anything that would benefit the group(not just a spell to keep adds off me) I get stun locked and nearly die while spamming the potion button. If I'm in a pug then I can be assured of absolutely no help with the 1200 adds that spawn during a boss fight.

I don't mind dealing with some adds, but 10 sets of 10 adds that ONLY want to target me is stupid.

The fact that I as a HEALER have to to use 30+ healing potions in one fight just to stay alive is stupid.

The fact that my biggest heal is only a small fraction as effective as a cheap potion is stupid.

I throw out 1 or 2 small(insignificant) hots and I become the most threatening thing in the dungeon to EVERY creature that spawns. Well that's stupid.

Right now this game for me is running around the boss in a circle drinking potions and every once in a while casting a spell(usually a spell to control adds because if I try to heal anybody I will die). Once the boss goes down I finally get some help with the 15 or 20 remaining adds that I haven't killed by myself yet. I spend several gold per dungeon on potions and get about 2 gold worth of stuff. Meanwhile the TRs and CWs do millions of damage and none of the creatures in the dungeon even notice them. They might have to drink a potion if they forget to move out of a red area.

Here is an example of the conversation between adds just before they spawn.

Imp- Hey there is a group of adventurers killing our master.

Mage- There is a rogue doing 1000s of damage per second

Imp- And a wizard doing huge damage and stunning and freezing him

Mage- and our boss is hardly hurting that guy with the shield.

Stormtrooper- Forget those guys, that nurse just healed an adventurer for 123hp. Lets spend the next 45 minutes chasing her around while the other guys are free to destroy our master at their leisure.
    :(
  • Options
    pentariuspentarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    txdekeon wrote: »
    Right now this game for me is running around the boss in a circle drinking potions and every once in a while casting a spell(usually a spell to control adds because if I try to heal anybody I will die)

This right here is what most groups are like for clerics right now. It's even worse when you have a group that should easily be able to at least take some pressure off you but the black holes are just cast at the huge boss instead of the train of adds that are chasing the healer, and then you have to sit there and be called bad because these jerks can't be bothered to help you take a second to actually use an ability. I have no problem with every fight having adds summoned, I just wish threat made sense and the CW's and TR's would leave the boss and kill the adds.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thing is, none of the bosses are hard, they're all wimps in fact, all alone they could probably be solo'd.

Instead it's like they're all mastermind archetype and their minions they spam do 90% of the work.
  • Options
    maunderingmaundering Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank goodness someone else posted this, first time I ran this today I was trying to figure out why all the monsters were chasing me from my first spell. Yes there are some amazing healers and groups out there and more power to them - but this is a level 35 dungeon after all...and we have not all been playing for weeks on end.

I know every game is different and its been awhile since I played D&D but I do seem to recall that clerics had heal spells. You know those things that you would target a person with and some of their health would return. Currently cleric feels more like the healing mage in Rift to me at this point.

Now healing through damage and buffs rather than direct targeted healing isn't necessarily bad but the healing dynamic feels strange given that I cant really target people (or have not figured out how to do it) and I cant really dramatically impact the battle if things are going pear shaped. Bearing in mind I might be too conditioned to the targeted healing model found in WoW and others games and just have not discovered the inner beauty of this healing style.

Healing aside the game itself is interesting though and I look forward to see how this class evolves over the next few months.

Regards
  • Options
    pungkapungka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Come on guys, the mad dragon is not that hard. My group beat it our very first time running it. We all know by now tanks in Neverwinter just can't scoop up every add and maintain aggro on all of them. It's about controlling the chaos with lots of CC and AoE. thats what the other 3 classes are built for. While the tank babysits the boss and helps with adds when he can.

Try playing by the rules instead of trying to change them to make it easier or more familiar.
  • Options
    abradaxabradax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    pungka wrote: »
    Come on guys, the mad dragon is not that hard. My group beat it our very first time running it. We all know by now tanks in Neverwinter just can't scoop up every add and maintain aggro on all of them. It's about controlling the chaos with lots of CC and AoE. thats what the other 3 classes are built for. While the tank babysits the boss and helps with adds when he can.

Try playing by the rules instead of trying to change them to make it easier or more familiar.

Excellent!

Now tell the random dungeon finder to give us balanced groups instead of a GWF, two clerics, and two rogues.

Oh, and maybe the ability to replace people.
    Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
    Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
    Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pungka wrote: »

This theory doesn't work with pugs who join through queue. Try reading the topic first next time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    exsangeexsange Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And that's honestly something I would like to see.

Instead of having my party faced up against some earthbound dragon that throws down a few AoE acid patches, breathes some acid in your face, and calls out to his myriad of minions for aid every 20 seconds, I'd like to imagine myself stepping out into a large cavern, camera panning in over my shoulder, up toward the light flooding through the collapsed ceiling, and finally watching the silhouette pass through the beams and alighting on an opposing ledge, looming over its soon-to-be appetizers. The battlefield would be wrought with obstacles, places to hide from the beast as it swooped from each perch, battering fire down on its victims as they scurried to man siege weapons left from previous encounters, firing ballista upon the dragon itself to in attempt to ground, or catapult upon one of it's many perches to eventually force a level playing field, while others fend off swarms of welps until such an event occurs.

You know.. actual mechanics.
  • Options
    keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    abradax wrote: »
    Excellent!

Now tell the random dungeon finder to give us balanced groups instead of a GWF, two clerics, and two rogues.

Oh, and maybe the ability to replace people.
    Two rogues and two clerics sounds like a pretty good group to me :) Especially if the two clerics communicate with each other and load up appropriate powers.

I think it does actually try to class match to a certain extent, it just gives up a certain point. In my last three skirmishes, I got DC (me), TR (my wife), GF, GWF, CW x2 and swap the GWF for a 2nd TR once. That's clearly the system trying to role match.

Course, I've also seen 3 TR, 2 CW before. And, to be fair, we smashed that instance into the ground up until the final boss where we just couldn't sustain momentum.