test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So many adds... on every boss fight

trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Tons of adds on every single boss fight takes away from what should be a challenging encounter. This makes the fight repetitive and every boss feel the same.
Post edited by trevien29 on

Comments

• pungkapungka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How would less adds make the boss fights more interesting? The adds are what make this game challenging.
  • starguidedstarguided Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nah. The problem isn't the adds. But the MILLIONS of adds that spawn at a non-stoping rate, and you can't do anything but try to dodge like hell because they chase you with their neverending abilities - it doesn't seem to have cooldown at all.

The boss can have adds, of course. It must have. All bosses have employees. But everytime, each time more, and more difficult ones...? C'mon. Challing =/= Impossibru!

:) But so far I'm enjoying.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People would complain less about adds if Both Fighters had some decent threat moves to pick them up and keep them off the wizard and cleric.
  • susanosusano Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zardoz007 wrote: »
    People would complain less about adds if Both Fighters had some decent threat moves to pick them up and keep them off the wizard and cleric.

That, and the bosses themselves aren't challenging at all. Remove the adds, and it's a tank 'n spank until the boss is dead; literally having the Rogues roll out ridiculous numbers and watching the thing's HP disappear. There should be more to the encounter than ridiculous adds. Literally every fight trickles down to the same thing: control and/or isolate the adds, then go to town on the boss. The only real challenge would come from going in with no CW and no Cleric. :p
  • ragnarsoulreaperragnarsoulreaper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. The amount of adds gets ridiculous sometimes. For instance Epic Idris...when I fight her she probably spawns what feels like 10 archers right off the bat...including teh 3 or 4 tough mobs already there...then she just spawns wave after wave. Some of the encounters feel more raid worthy with the amount of cc that needs to be done.
  • alandoril1alandoril1 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pungka wrote: »
    How would less adds make the boss fights more interesting? The adds are what make this game challenging.

No, the hordes of adds just make each fight tedious. The boss encounters would be more interesting if the boss mobs themselves had better mechanics than just "put down insane damage aoe" and "spawn a dozen adds."

I've nothing against having mobs spawn but at the moment the rate of spawn on a lot of boss encounters is just ridiculous.
  • tyestortyestor Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you expected more from this quick cash in of a game? the encounters are designed lazily and terribly accross the board. oh look, we'll give the boss 2-3 abilities and then spawn endless adds. every boss fight is the same. jesus christ, is it too much to ask for some variety? oh wait, yeah. it is.
    Tyestor - Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer
  • bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a GWF and I love mass adds on encounters.I guess Control Wizards would also agree.
  • kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I guess you haven't played MMOS like Rift and GW2. Tacking on lots of adds is cheap tactics. The bosses in both of the games i mentioned are challenging on basis of their own abilities and moves instead of relying upon spawning loads of adds with high HP.

For example the dragon fight in Rift has very few adds but the dragon itself has lots of abilities and mechanics which makes it a very challenging fight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zalathorm7zalathorm7 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Dont be ridiculous.. If you really believe that, you're the perfect customer for this game.

Ideas were drummed up here http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?215081-ADDS-in-Dungeons-Example-Dev-Convo&highlight=Adds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarge3009sarge3009 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far the bosses have been based off DnD table top, I play pathfinder but assume its the same. Dealing with the adds just requires group comp and dps smart enough to kill them. Makes the fights chaotic and adrenal pumping.
  • mistercat153mistercat153 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Before i came into this game, i had expected boss fights to have some mechanics to them like SWTOR or something like that. But i have to agree here, just tanking and spanking every boss and killing the adds is just... i dont know.. lazy and unimaginative on the devs part?
    You should never trust a dude wearing a tunic!