test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF only lvl 17 but my confidence can't take much more.

hatefluxhateflux Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I just don't get what I'm doing wrong...I have never been higher than forth in any group or scenario. I'm close to re-rolling. I like the idea of the class but it just doesn't work in reality. Aoe you say? Impossible with mobs charging out of range and flying all over to where they are aggro'd. I'm just *****ing here, feels like I've wasted time.
Post edited by hateflux on

Comments

• zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Played my GWF lvl12 to 17 today and I must say I don't think I can go any further till they get some lovin.

They're fine at 60 I keep hearing. So effing what, why should the leveling experience be garbage? I like the journey. This game isn't about max lvl.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Gets better at level 16 when you get your cleric pet. If you did not get a cleric pet, get one.

Also, use slam as your daily. It is the best one to use in most scenarios. Use it when there are lots of grouped add's, and you will probably be higher than 4th damage dealer on your team.

It's not a wrecking ball until later though, from what I've seen. I think around level 30 it stopped being painful. If you have a mage that's throwing the add's all over creation, then it's really not your fault you can't AoE the add's down. Best advice I can give is to stand near your healer and wait for the inevitable aggro to burn the add's down.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I got a few pointers that should help you out.

At 17 you should start to be shining. As spacejew (lol) said, you should have your Cleric companion. Your main setup at 17 should be Mighty Leap, Takedown, and Restoring Strike. ALWAYS drop Slam. It's your most damaging Daily.

You should have 5 points in unstoppable action. The next part is in building Determination. Best way to build it at this level is to face tank hits. Building your AP comes from Unstoppable. Pop unstoppable, and drop your encounters. This build AP far faster than spamming attacks. At half Determination, you should be able to drop all encounters and get a SS rotation in.

That's mainly how you'll top DPS charts. Once you get Wicked Strike, immediately drop Reaping Strike. You'll mainly be using Wicked Strike for groups of 3+ and Sure Strike for -2. ALWAYS make sure to optimize your gear. An under geared GWF cannot function as well as the other classes.

Hope that helps. You'll have trouble out dps'ing Rogues until around 25/30 but after that, you should have no problem topping DPS charts.
  • xeromus20xeromus20 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have to accept it isnt a class that has a strong earlygame, but it's made up for by their lategame. It's hellish until the 30s, the 40s are so-so and 50+ is when it really begins to shine. Picking up the cleric companion is a must imo if you're playing GWF, as is keeping a stock of pots, it helps to try find parties or groups to quest/dungeon with since soloing early on is fairly annoying for a GWF.

tl;dr - stick at it, you're rewarded for perseverance
    Paradigm - Instigator Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 13k GS
    Instigate and Eradicate
    Alek Silverkin - Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 11k GS
    How do you kill that which gets tankier the more you hit it?
  • lordofscornlordofscorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with Shultzilla, it's good advice and I did the exact same thing. I think I led dps in every Cloak Tower run I did at that level, except once, when a rogue managed to take top spot. It takes a lot of work compared to other classes though and hopefully you don't have a repel/knockback happy wizard with you or you'll waste a lot of cooldowns. Use slam as your encounter as soon as you can and fire it off as soon as adds pop. And yeah, cleric makes life very easy for solo play. I've really had no problems at all. Below level 15 was the roughest ride I've had thus far.
  • suprabondaddictsuprabondaddict Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just reroll something else.. they will fix the leveling problem soon..
    its really pointless to go uphill with this class while other clases have it easy, fun and rewarding..

to be honest, at 60 its not much beter.. its ok.. just ok.. you still have to outgear everyone by 30% of there GearScore to even be on par with the damage on AOE scenarios, and be on top of your shiet of course.. while the rest of the party can take pee breaks, slam the keyboard with their faces and they will still be doing ok dps.

Class is fun.. dont get me wrong, i have a GWF, and i dont regret playing it becouse i just dont like the others, but its not for everyone.. you HAVE to know, that the class is lackluster, gimped or whatever you want to call it.. its hard to level up, and even harder to stay on par with the others, so if you just want to play the game casualy, have fun with friends and dont hate the devs, play a mage or rogue..
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmmm i never had issues with my gwf to be honest, all the way up to 60...what i can tell you tough is that you become a lot stronger later on...you kill hordes of enemies with easy, only the wizards can cope up with you...things changes with around lvl 40ish...

besides, gwf has THE MOST AMAZING animations ever...(crescendo for example, flourish and weapon master strike as well as blitz)
  • nunganoknunganok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zedfighter wrote: »
    So effing what, why should the leveling experience be garbage? I like the journey. This game isn't about max lvl.

1) It's literally impossible to balance a game from 1-levelcap so that leveling is perfect for all classes. 2)Yes, it is about max lvl.
    " To call someone a Troll is Trolling in Itself; no matter if it is true or not." -Neverlogic 2013
  • xeromus20xeromus20 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you HAVE to know, that the class is lackluster, gimped or whatever you want to call it.. its hard to level up, and even harder to stay on par with the others, so if you just want to play the game casualy, have fun with friends and dont hate the devs, play a mage or rogue..

I disagree entirely. While GWF scales ridiculously with gear it doesn't need to be vastly ahead of anyone lategame to be topping damage charts. One thing that elite dungeons require is also what GWF does best, AoE destruction. In fights with 1-2 targets a rogue should always put out more damage over time, but on 3+ that's the GWFs domain. It isn't even like the results are one-offs or flukes either, lots of people are reporting success in later content with a GWF, and a lot of people (atleast from my experiences) say that having a GWF in the group is almost as core as tank+cleric, simply due to how much they bring to the run (utility, off-tank etc)

It may be hard to level but that's the flipside to having quite possibly the strongest lategame
    Paradigm - Instigator Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 13k GS
    Instigate and Eradicate
    Alek Silverkin - Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 11k GS
    How do you kill that which gets tankier the more you hit it?
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Last night T2 pirate king: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNX54CJhws

There are so many adds around I basically outdps everybody by holding right mouse button and occasionally pressing slam. In a sentinel build. Only today I got outdpsed by, wouldn't you guess, a destroyer GWF. So yeah, we are more than fine at 60.
  • djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that while leveling the gwf it was lackluster but luckily i had groups 99% the way to 60 either with my guild or pugs. Now im at 60 getting well geared the gwf is starting to shine. the AOE is absolutely amazing and stacks well on top of CW singularity (to pull the mobs to 1 spot for u)
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP, you shall endure punishment the likes most gamers never partake of until around level 30, at this point the gods will smile down on you slightly and ease your burden every 5 level or so there after. When you hit 40 the gods feel you have been tempered and begin re-forging you into an aoe killing machine.

With the proper base character creation (heavy cough. constitution isn't a primary or secondary pick) and proper use of crit stacking and armor pen, coupled with 90% crit severity you shall enjoy much mass killing and some good single point strikes.

keep that chin up, while the GWF is indeed the second string in all respects, with careful skill you can let the other more powerful classes know you are indeed still breathing.

At least until the devs give back what was taken from GWF in closed beta 2.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • nuzzarnuzzar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What i found was helping during leveling in dungeons is to simply get hit! You wont get much determination without taking damage, so stand next to the tank / healer and eat some AEs and stuff. Try to have pots though so your healer wont hate you! ;)
  • apokalyps666apokalyps666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It becomes quite better when you get your cleric companion, and way better once you hit 30 (helm's hold), you mainly fight packs of weaklings, and that's where you shine. 35 you get WMS which is awesome either for AoE or single target debuff. And then it's just better and better each level. As a comparison, I was plowing through everything early with my TR, but once I hit 30 these packs were so fricking annoying, I enjoy mi GWF a lot more now...
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes 1-17 is just terrible, no questions about it.

As said once you get your cleric companion it is do able you can face-tank everything and get your way to 20 with much less trouble.

For me this is where it turned around (both now and beta*), immediately dump the charged at will get both good at wills so you can take on groups and enemies. Just having this gave me a 50%+ damage boost in skirmishes and moved me from bottom to middle.

Yes the TR/CW will still out damage me, but much closer. And 'somewhat reasonable' considering the amount of damage I'm absorbing and mass of mobs you can stand in. After a few more levels taking some life steal/regen gear you can even survive a battle without 24-7 cleric.

*FWIF: I'd class beta arrangement slow but reasonable, now it's just bad. Both problems with the new GWF build order, and some with the maps
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    At 20, you can buy a full blue set with a good weapon for just a few silver. That gets you to 25 pretty comfortably. Then do some PvP matches and you are almost at the point where it gets much better. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!