test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Multiple Maps - After searching in vain.

foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Am I to understand you are only allowed 1 map in the foundry? I can't seem to find a way to do the following.
(1 works fine)

1.) Got to NW City Gate, transport to custom forest map.
Now this is whats requested. Can't find a way to do it.
2.) Walk to cave entrance and enter custom cave map (different map than forest map)
3.) Find entrance to cave level 2 (transfer to another custom cave map)
4.) Upon completion transfer back to original forest map. Collect reward.

Cheers
Post edited by foundrymaker on

Comments

• Options
    waeolwenwaeolwen Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Which part are you having trouble with?

The only thing on there that I don't think is possible is step 4. You would need to create a duplicate of the forest map as custom maps can only be used once in a Foundry quest.
  • Options
    foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    waeolwen wrote: »
    Which part are you having trouble with?

The only thing on there that I don't think is possible is step 4. You would need to create a duplicate of the forest map as custom maps can only be used once in a Foundry quest.

I'm having a problem on how you switch maps. going from one map to another
  • Options
    waeolwenwaeolwen Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Map transitions can only occur as part of the main story quest, as far as I know.

On the left side of the Story Quest screen, there will be buttons for "+ Map". Just select one of those and it will give you a dropdown to choose from any of the maps currently in your quest, the Neverwinter Adventure Zone Map, to add a new custom map. Then you'll just need to choose the transition object from the previous map.

Hopefully that makes sense :D
  • Options
    gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm starting to feel that this is going to be one of my more popular videos...This one covers the different kinds of maps and how to setup transitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_d6bud_h2k

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In short, you do not tell the Foundry when to transition to a new map. You tell the Foundry where the next quest objective is.

If that objective is on a different map, then the Foundry asks you how the player is to get there (i.e what object does the player click on)

There are two main things that effect 90% of what you will want to accomplish. Once you understand the two main principles, the rest comes pretty easy
    First once you realize that the Story board dictates the flow of the entire quest things fall into place. Map changes being the biggest.

Second, every "change" that happens in a quest is based on a simple mechanic of can the player see it or not. There is no scripting, just the clever hiding and disappearing of objects. It is up to the Author to find creative ways to make these object appear and disappear. Each object can only disappear once and appear once. So it might take several objects set to appear and disappear at different triggers to achieve the desired effect.

Watch the above video for more details.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gemstrike wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel that this is going to be one of my more popular videos...This one covers the different kinds of maps and how to setup transitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_d6bud_h2k

Well, I watched your video, got to do what it did in the video but will be unable to publish because of the cautions on the transitions maps even though I chose 'False' and "Leave From" an object on the map. It insist I have to state a location the Overland map. These cautions are also left unaddressed in the video.

Cheers