test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What the hell?

brachra200brachra200 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
So i posted in General discussion asking about Tanking, and if it is needed.
i got a ton of mixed responses about threat, and how it works.

Well, i was all happy that im at least needed as a tank for Bosses. and dont have to worry about adds all too much

Until today.

i had 2 rogues in a group in the level 35 Skirmish tell me that I am a total ****up for not Dpsing the adds while the rogues take care of the boss.

They then informed me that that's what my job is. that Tanking isnt even necessary AT ALL in this game, and it is a GWF/GF's job to DPS adds while Rogues handle the bosses. because rogues ignore 90% of damage pretty-much "anyway".

Whats the deal? Whats the point? Is tanking not viable? Is it not something I should even worry about?
Post edited by brachra200 on

Comments

• Options
    csilecsile Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Theres a big difference between lvl 35 and 60.
    As a cleric i can assure you they take massive damage, at least in T1 Dungeons they do.
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Depends on the fight, there are fights where the boss is actually the least of the problems, and there are fights where the boss will straight out charge/stun into whoever has agro and hit them for 10k+, in which case you definitely do want the GF on the boss.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Okay, that helps... Also

I was running that skirmish and my Mark kept disappearing from the boss, Im not hitting it with anything but Shield stab and shield bash thing (Guard attacks). But itj ust randomly goes away sometimes.

Group makeup was
    2 rogues
    1 cleric
    1 control wizard
    Myself.

any thoughts?
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Mark disappears when the mob hits you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    if it gets a REAL hit you mean right? Not if i block it?

also marks disappear as long as i dont hit the mob directly? (i.e.) Guarded attacks are okay?
  • Options
    elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Marks only disapear when the Mob Hits you with an unguarded attack. You can hit a mob all day long, and so long as he doesnt turn around and hit you, it will stay on him.
  • Options
    perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tanking is important, but it's not what tanking is in other games, where you always focus on the boss and let dps burn adds. In Neverwinter, there are far more adds and collectively they are far more dangerous than the boss. The important tanking therefore happens where the majority of the danger is, which is usually the adds. Some rare times the boss is actually a threat and needs a tank, but by default, gfs should get threat on adds and keep things from beating on allies (especially protecting the cleric).

And yes, a rogue is usually a more effective tank against bosses than a gf, because they do damage while avoiding damage. However, if all the adds are dead, rogues benefit if the gf gets threat. That lets rogue attack the boss with combat advantage and with the aid of other ally buffs. So, get threat on the boss when there's nothing else, but it's the lowest tanking priority.

When people say that tanking isn't needed in the game, they aren't being accurate, because the game uses a different type of tanking.

As to whether 1 or 2 rogues should be on the boss while everyone is working on adds ... I think rogues are overstating the importance for them focusing the boss. Many bosses don't need to be tanked, just ignored while adds are killed. If the boss needs a tank, then putting 1 rogue on it is fine. Putting 2 rogues on the boss means that it's health is going to drop faster, which is going to spawn adds faster, perhaps faster than the other people can keep up.

Leet rogues will want to put 2 on the boss, then blame everyone else for not killing the adds fast enough. If 2 rogues go on the boss, it's their responsibility to look around and see if the adds are getting out of control. If so, then one or both of them should start killing adds.