test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best Companion Class for GWF

muleskinnalumuleskinnalu Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What is the best companion in your opinion for a Great Weapon Fighter Zen store or not? I am thinking of buying a companion but not sure which one would be the best... was thinking maybe Honey Badger cause it's hilarious lol. Right now I use a white (Rank 15) Cleric that heals me but she gets crushed so quick now that she is almost useless.
Post edited by muleskinnalu on

Comments

• Options
    mrbloodybartucmrbloodybartuc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mr. Crippler,

Protect your cleric and she will treat you good. Her heals are very nice when solo grinding/questing. Plus, she's free.
  • Options
    kneehighsyaaaakneehighsyaaaa Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use the little dog just for the dps. I suppose the cleric wouldn't be bad!
    Gza the Genius - Elf Guardian Fighter
    the Rza - dog companion

Mindflayer
  • Options
    okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For cleric: striker. For anything else (including GWF): cleric.

It's my understanding that further on (maybe level 40+ or so) any kind of companion will be dead in no time flat anyhow, so they'll all be equally useless. Even then, I'd probably say 'cleric' (or in general terms, healer), at least you can summon it between fights to get some band aids. :confused:
  • Options
    charezoncharezon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cleric (free), without a doubt. She does at times get smashed into the ground, but most times she makes a big difference - I just have to remember to position the mobs away from her.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    dicemakerdicemaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mr. Crippler,

Protect your cleric and she will treat you good. Her heals are very nice when solo grinding/questing. Plus, she's free.

Your first job as DPS is to ALWAYS Protect your Party healer. When parting protecting your own cleric is not as important as protecting your healer player. I keep my cleric out to help the healer in my group in heals. Most of the time DPS is healed last so having your own out insures you will survive longer.

The same thing goes when you are soloing but with one difference. If your pet gets adds. attack her adds first. then the aggro system will kick in and the mobs will keep attacking you. Remember, you have the most armor, and the most Wide attacks. you should be able to take out the extra adds around her really quick so you can keep attacking the big targets.
  • Options
    okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Generally speaking I'd say, if you're cleric - then striker. If you are anything else (including GWF) - then cleric. It's my understanding that somewhere after level 40 or so, any companion will be dead anyway, in no time flat, so they'll likely be equally useless. Even so, at least cleric can heal you - between fights if nothing else.
  • Options
    phaazenphaazen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    for GWF get somehting that compliments you like a leader, controller, healer or augmenter

leader: Angel or the thing that looks like a clr in the zen store

controller: wizard

Healer: cleric or angel

augmenter cat or ioun stones
  • Options
    bellylintbellylint Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, at 50+ good luck on keeping any pet alive, they are worthless with worthless AI. I use a cleric as a GF and always have, but boy they become a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the higher level you are. I spend more time resing her than I do clearing a dungeon and please don't tell people to take care of their cleric they are dumb as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, they will rush ahead and attack, they will even attack the big boss when you'd prefer having them right next to you or they will stand around and wait for every single deadly aoe they can scoop up so they can die even faster than they are.

At 50+, your pet goal is to die the fastest possible way withing even crummy out door fights, she wants to die, that's her wish but she's not always granted her wish under 20s, usually she's dead by 20 second tho.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Striker pets seems so useless because they do so little damage. I was thinking the tank pet would be more useful for a cleric.
  • Options
    kellionbanekellionbane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On my rogue I levelled with a Man-at-arms... He was good, till about 50+ then he would just die, every single pull... But still bought me enough time to kill everything from stealth and take little damage.

On my gwf, I started with a cleric, then switched to a ioun stone with a bunch of regen gear on it... Still not optimal, but my potion use has been cut down significantly.