test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rules & Features that promote an unhealthy community.

sean99999sean99999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
In Neverwinter, we have game rules, which promotes a certain kind of behavior, which in turn creates the community.

There are certain game rules that promote bad behavior among the players. I am relatively new, having played for only a few days, hence I do not know them all. However, i do hope others will contribute so we can get them all listed here for the Devs to take note of:

1) Loot rolls NEED vs GREED. Any class can roll on equipment they cannot equip - Currently promotes bad behavior.
2) Queue finder - Unable to add new players who left - Compounds the effects of 1) as you cannot kick them out unless you wish to 3-4 man the dungeon.
3) AFK PVP - Promotes a bad behavior of doing nothing for rewards.
4) ... (to be added)
Post edited by sean99999 on

Comments

• clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You just summed up problems that most every MMO struggles with, and they do seem compounded right now in NW. The problem with kicking and replacing players who are an issue should be addressed.

Our game is very new, and it has all the bugs and game system problems that a new f2p game comes with, as a comunity of gamers proper feed back will be our best tool, if the dev's will listen.

This thread is a great idea.

I would like to add to the list,the fact that the party set up is not a standard tank/healer/dps set up and this should be stressed at every opportunity.Players who do not understand this can become very abusive when they feel someone is not "playing the game correctly" .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • tarkaroshetarkaroshe Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sean99999 wrote: »
    In Neverwinter, we have game rules, which promotes a certain kind of behavior, which in turn creates the community.

There are certain game rules that promote bad behavior among the players. I am relatively new, having played for only a few days, hence I do not know them all. However, i do hope others will contribute so we can get them all listed here for the Devs to take note of:

1) Loot rolls NEED vs GREED. Any class can roll on equipment they cannot equip - Currently promotes bad behavior.
    2) Queue finder - Unable to add new players who left - Compounds the effects of 1) as you cannot kick them out unless you wish to 3-4 man the dungeon.
    4) ... (to be added)

Whilst I will acknowledge that certain aspects of the game require a bit of tweaking for reasons other than the one you give, your argument how these things are promoting bad behaviour is like saying how violence in video games forces people to go out and kill others.

The only things that promote bad behaviour, is the people who take part in it.

People aren't sheep. They have a brain and should take responsibility for their own actions (or inactions). They shouldn't just blame the existence (or inexistence) of rules or anything else for that matter.

However, I suppose in this day and age of "where's theres blame, there's a claim" culture, it shouldn't be surprising that people try to blame anything but themselves.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tarkaroshe wrote: »
    Your argument is like saying how violence in video games forces people to go out and kill others.

No. Rules do not promote bad behaviour, people are the things that promote it.

People aren't sheep. They have a brain and should take responsibility for their own actions (or inactions).
    They shouldn't just blame the existence (or inexistence) of rules.

However, I suppose in this day and age of "where's theres blame, there's a claim" culture, it shouldn't be surprising that people try to blame anything but themselves.

Also on the other hand, you are saying we should not worry about fixing rule sets that may cause conflict in the player base. Rather leave it as is and just say "ppl suck,so we are stuck" ..Or maybe you are just trolling the OP .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • talroltalrol Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a new player here was not part of the pre open beta, I have a character that just hit 14 yesterday and went into a Dungeon with a random group. Most everyone in the group rolled appropriately other than this one guy who chose to roll need on everything that dropped. My solution is not for a change in the game itself as I've faced this in every MMO I've ever played, instead I chose not to provide heals to that individual (who eventually had to rely on potions) and then to put that person on ignore at the end of the dungeon so that I will not have to match with him again in the future (assuming that the ignore list works the same in this game as others I('ve) play(ed))

The community sets itself as it wants to, the developers should not have to police the actions of individuals, as the game goes beyond its honeymoon period there should be a considerable change in the overall behaviours (for the better.)

As to your other points I have not yet experienced those so I can't really put my two cents worth on those.
  • boootzboootz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In other cryptic games the poor loot mechanic is solved by simply needing/passing on everything when in public groups.
  • sean99999sean99999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am familiar with the concept for self-policing & self-justice.

However, this is not the thread to promote it. This is a thread to list out gameplay mechanics that promote bad behavior, and MANDATES players to self-police to prevent them from happening.
  • nyysjannyysjan Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013

Personally, i think the bigger issue is that we are rolling on stuff we often don't even know the stats of, so there is no real way to tell if you need that or not.
    Me, i just roll greed on everything, except on stuff i can use, and know the stats of, but i know i'm loosing loot because many others just need on everything.
    This is a problem, i had a nice smooth run in the 2nd dungeon (pirate boss, cragmire or something i think), except we were 4 manning it the whole time (one person, a cleric, dc'd), just before the last boss, the dc'd person got online, and another person, great weapons fighter, dc'd instead, so of we went to the boss, with 4 people.
    We wiped.
    Tank left, we tried with 3, and got pretty close to doing it, but because all the mobs were running everywhere randomly, i could not take down adds fast enough because i was busy dodging boss, and we wiped again, and had to stop there.
    Tried pvp for the first time today (i'm level 31 wizard), and frankly, i found it so pointless i don't blame people for afk'ing, but it should be adressed to no waste other peoples time or ruin their enjoyment.
  • lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    talrol wrote: »
    The community sets itself as it wants to, the developers should not have to police the actions of individuals, as the game goes beyond its honeymoon period there should be a considerable change in the overall behaviours (for the better.)

I disagree with this statement to an extent. When ever there is option to further ones self at the expense of others without fear of any repercussion, we need the developer to step in and give us the tools to prevent it ourselves.