test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP is utterly broken atm.

leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
CC out of control with no DR. AFK matches. 2 maps, one mode (Yes, I'm sure more is coming, but I am talking about right NOW). What is the point of PvP right now? You would have to get two premade teams together just to attempt to have fun. Even then, CC is ridiculous atm.
Post edited by leshil40 on

Comments

• jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvP right now is just to shut people up about PvP. They saw what happened to other games that didnt offer PvP to the preteens on release, so they just handed everyone a basic ruleset for PvP and decided that it was enough. This is D&D, or at least loosely based mmo of D&D and PvP has no place in D&D. Anyone who has ever played D&D will tell you that PvP is not something people do in the D&D universe. Its always PvE.

So yes, its broken, and it should stay that way. No I dont do PvP, I play a cleric, and we are nothing in PvP except hard to kill.
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leshil40 wrote: »
    What is the point of PvP right now?

An excellent question, & one that I ask every time a new MMO comes out with PvP enabled.

IMO, if you're not going to develop a game for PvP from the very beginning, & THEN balance in the PvE, then you've wasted your time & resources & your PvP game is going to be terrible. But for the most part, they balance for PvE first, & then PvP gets added in almost as an afterthought. That's a recipe for sucky PvP.

Just look at modern WoW. It's nothing but a CC-&-bot fest, almost exactly like NWO's CC-&-AFK fest. Why is anyone surprised at this?
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The point being that have it IN the game. So leave it broke? Yes, D&D is primarily PVE focused, but it hardly resembles D&D at times. I do enjoy the combat, but this game being in open beta and all, needs some serious work, including PvP since they DO have it in the game.

Rogues + Chain CC = pointless PvP. Toss in lots of AFK matches.
  • darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    PvP right now is just to shut people up about PvP. They saw what happened to other games that didnt offer PvP to the preteens on release, so they just handed everyone a basic ruleset for PvP and decided that it was enough. This is D&D, or at least loosely based mmo of D&D and PvP has no place in D&D. Anyone who has ever played D&D will tell you that PvP is not something people do in the D&D universe. Its always PvE.

So yes, its broken, and it should stay that way. No I dont do PvP, I play a cleric, and we are nothing in PvP except hard to kill.

Holy...
    Thats just so flawed logic.

Isnt in dnd so should stay broke or not be present? Lets remove global chat then. Or PM system. Lets remove guild rooster. Lets remove queueing to dungeons.

But I do agree with you its pretty barebones and broken. And that when game doesnt have pvp mode - mmo - it basically goes to hell.
    edited May 2013
    The point being that have it IN the game. So leave it broke?

Here's the problem, as I see it: because this game was not coded for PvP from the beginning, PvP will always be broken. Anything they can do to "fix" it will simply cause more problems elsewhere.

So, yea: honestly, I'd leave it the way it is.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    An open beta with unbalanced pvp!!!!?

The point is for us to use it and tell them what we experience and what we might like to experience.

The afking is just a way of getting easy gear that might not be dropping for you in epics.

Let them add the rest of the classes so they can have everything that is currently in the works in place then worry about PvP.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
    edited May 2013
    Holy...
    Thats just so flawed logic.

Isnt in dnd so should stay broke or not be present? Lets remove global chat then. Or PM system. Lets remove guild rooster. Lets remove queueing to dungeons.

Dungeons are a part of D&D, so they stay. Queues should not be, but how else do you get to play with random without queues?
    Global chat is how we communicate, its just the same as talking to players, so thats stays as well, because D&D needs communication.
    PM is basically a whisper to other players, so it stays under the same rules that Zone chat(not global) stays.
    Guilds are in D&D as well, and I am part...or used to be a part of a D&D pnp guild, before they went to 4e and the guild got disbanded.

Know what isnt normally part of D&D? Players making their characters attack other player characters.
  • nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013

This isn't D&D. This is an MMO based on D&D. Loosely based, might I add. It's really just a setting. This isn't an attempt to bring D&D to the casual market. It's an attempt to make a fully functional MMO with standard MMO gameplay and a setting that will garner attention from the media. Nothing in the game should "stay broken", that's just absurd. If this was an online pen and paper roleplaying service then you would have a point, but at this point you're just making yourself look silly.
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Dungeons are a part of D&D, so they stay. Queues should not be, but how else do you get to play with random without queues?
    Global chat is how we communicate, its just the same as talking to players, so thats stays as well, because D&D needs communication.
    PM is basically a whisper to other players, so it stays under the same rules that Zone chat(not global) stays.
    Guilds are in D&D as well, and I am part...or used to be a part of a D&D pnp guild, before they went to 4e and the guild got disbanded.

Know what isnt normally part of D&D? Players making their characters attack other player characters.

While you are 100% correct, the problem now is that they put it in the game and people will have expectations for it. I just wanted to get information out there for them to consider since this is a soft launch(open beta). Until they get more PVE end game, there will be a lot of people using the PVP modes as well. They have an upcoming 20v20 pvp map coming, so they have big plans on the pvp side of things for this game, so some balancing will need to be done whether you're a pvp fan or not-It's going to happen. Just giving feedback on it.
    edited May 2013
    nemonus wrote: »
    This isn't D&D. This is an MMO based on D&D. Loosely based, might I add. It's really just a setting. This isn't an attempt to bring D&D to the casual market. It's an attempt to make a fully functional MMO with standard MMO gameplay and a setting that will garner attention from the media. Nothing in the game should "stay broken", that's just absurd. If this was an online pen and paper roleplaying service then you would have a point, but at this point you're just making yourself look silly.

Good point. It truly is just the IP/Setting and all the rest hardly resembles D&D.
    edited May 2013

Nah I mean actual guild rooster showing who is online/offline.
    Hey you just done so great job justyfing your flawed logic im not going to bother explaining to you why are you failing. Mechanism of seeing yourself as the only right person is pretty strong in you.
    Enjoy,
    edited May 2013
    Good point. It truly is just the IP/Setting and all the rest hardly resembles D&D.

Exactly they could make "just another generic -not a dnd guys- fantasy setting" but instead they went with pretty solid brand.
    It isnt targetted to hardcore closed minded pnp players that dont understand online gaming.
    Like that dude jedizalm.
    edited May 2013
    While you are 100% correct, the problem now is that they put it in the game and people will have expectations for it. I just wanted to get information out there for them to consider since this is a soft launch(open beta). Until they get more PVE end game, there will be a lot of people using the PVP modes as well. They have an upcoming 20v20 pvp map coming, so they have big plans on the pvp side of things for this game, so some balancing will need to be done whether you're a pvp fan or not-It's going to happen. Just giving feedback on it.

Ok, I'll concede that its here and its not going anywhere, I just hope they do like old school Diablo 2 and they balance PvE differently than they balance PvP. At least you and I are understanding, without being belittling.

Unlike Nemonus.

Look, I can screw around with the font and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too. It doesnt make me special, it just makes me look like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hungering for attention.

Beside the point, Certain aspects of some games just need to be left alone sometimes if they dont fit into the game at large. This game isnt designed around PvP, so screaming for adjustments is childish at most.
    edited May 2013
    Who are you to say that PvP isn't a part of this game? LOL!!!
  • oooo1111oooo1111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    I think the PvP is great because i'm always in 1st place.

Control Wizard:)

Just kidding. The PvP is atrocious.
  • nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Ok, I'll concede that its here and its not going anywhere, I just hope they do like old school Diablo 2 and they balance PvE differently than they balance PvP. At least you and I are understanding, without being belittling.

Unlike Nemonus.

Look, I can screw around with the font and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too. It doesnt make me special, it just makes me look like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hungering for attention.

Beside the point, Certain aspects of some games just need to be left alone sometimes if they dont fit into the game at large. This game isnt designed around PvP, so screaming for adjustments is childish at most.

It's hypocritical to complain about someone being belittling and then insult them. And I wasn't even being rude. What you were saying was silly. Suggesting that PvP should be 'left broken' is absurd. This is not a value Pointing that out is not an insult and it is not "belittling". It isn't a value judgement on you, but simply a response to what you're saying. If you can't handle other people disagreeing with you on a forum in a mature manner, then maybe you should take a break.

Expecting the game to be balanced and fun is not "childish". It's what someone who supports the game would want, even if they don't particularly like the content. I don't personally plan on doing much crafting, but I fully support the idea that the crafting should be well-implemented in the game. Otherwise it may drive people away. And it's the same for PvE, PvP, or any other gameplay type Neverwinter is hoping to attract an audience with.
    edited May 2013
    Asking for any vs mode in any game t be balanced is moderately childish. I say moderately because there can be some degrees of moldable balance in a PvP, but balance without making every skill do exactly the same thing with different visual effects is impossible.

And again, This game wasnt designed around PvP, its was made for dungeons and PvE with vs modes tossed on to appease people who want PvP. Its the same in ALOT of games, and something I'm honestly surprised people dont understand yet. I can name at least three other examples where PvP was attached after the fact and will never truly be balanced. To balance for PvP would mean changes to skills and feats that could also severely unbalance PvE, which would then need to be balanced which would again unbalance PvP. Its a never ending cycle and not a plausibility thats appropriate for a free to play game.

Not saying it cant be done, but I seriously doubt this company will find the perfect level of balanced PvP and PvE along with balanced and fair PvP as well as fun, challenging, and balance PvE all at the same time. We might see it some day, but I seriously doubt it will be here in this game when it happens. D&D is a known franchise for being grossly unbalanced with its classes, and I dont see their loosely based MMO doing any better. Especially in a market thats **** near impossible to balance already.
    edited May 2013
    nemonus wrote: »
    Suggesting that PvP should be 'left broken' is absurd.

I'd agree, if I were convinced that PWE can "fix" PvP without thoroughly breaking other things. But since I've not seen any indication that any MMO developer can do that, I'm totally unconvinced that PWE can. I'm more than willing to have them prove me wrong, but I'm just not seeing it.

Beyond that, I'm not even convinced that there's a consensus as to what "PvP balance" even is, nor do I think there will be. This is derived from 15.5 years of watching people argue about MMO PvP, both in-game & on forums, & never coming to any actual agreement on what needs to be done .... & in any event, I don't trust forum posters (especially not myself) to know what they're talking about when it comes to game design, much less "PvP balance."

FWIW, Jedizalm is pretty much spot-on in his assessment of MMO PvP.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • blupa2010blupa2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to fix all these issues FIRST PvP is what I'm in it for! ><
    ~ Neverwinter Fan Site~ Builds-Guides+More!!
    edited May 2013
    blupa2010 wrote: »
    They need to fix all these issues FIRST PvP is what I'm in it for! ><

Thats like playing Mortal Kombat for the story.
  • l3uck3tl3uck3t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    stratxzz wrote: »
    An open beta with unbalanced pvp!!!!?

The point is for us to use it and tell them what we experience and what we might like to experience.

The afking is just a way of getting easy gear that might not be dropping for you in epics.

Let them add the rest of the classes so they can have everything that is currently in the works in place then worry about PvP.

You shouldn't speak with such accurate detail. It'll confuse the others
    ReignesLegacy_zpsb47e1102.png
  • pruflazpruflaz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is nothing from stopping anyone from spam AFKing every single game. Quite frankly I'm getting extremely annoyed with the PVP already. Not a single game I've got to play where there wasn't an AFK on my team or my opponents team. Sure CC might be out of hand and some of the other classes are near useless. But that's what I've come to accept from this game. Although I will not tolerate someone going AFK every single game and that, is what is truly broken.
  • hadryahadrya Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only things PvP needs right now is being able to kick afk players, and more variety.
    And my god, the logic behing keeping PvP broken. Wat.
    The more I look around on these forums the more I see that people think that this is a D&D game, which is also an mmo.Wrong.
    This is an mmo, that has the races, zones, cities and world of a D&D game. But that's it. It's not d20 based, the feats and skills are different.
    And as 25 year old"<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" I can say, that an MMO (because that's what this game is, sorry to burst those bubbles) needs good PvE, and needs good PvP. Not one, or the other,both.
  • illouminatorillouminator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you do not want to PVP and you do not want it sorted and fixed,i think you are wasting your time in the wrong game friend...This is MMO...D&D was never MMO but party based.Here you do not have a party.You have a whole community of gamers..and gaming was always about PVPing and not only PVEing. You cannot pretend you are actually playing D&D while in reality you are just playing ANOTHER MMO.For D&D there is D&D and nothing replaces it..Now here..YES give arenas to the people...for this is the fate of a gamer pvping and pveing is always equal.Whith all due respect friend...

PS:I think you are as well mistaken about D&D and PVP.I ve been playing about 13 years now...and i can tell you,there is a lot of PVPing in the tabletop as wel... in Place of "P" enter "Personality" and you will get my meaning :)
  • pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i am ok with single class cc's (CW rogue etc, cw need to cc really) but its when say you have 2 rogue and you get 100% spell locked TWICE back to back. you cannot do ANYTHING. as a whole i think pvp is pretty messy, dailys imo should banned or dmg lowered by 20-30% imo. they are stupid.