test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

General PvP Advice + Lowbie Cleric PvP Video

bunzagabunzaga Member Posts: 52
edited May 2013 in The Temple
Hey all. I've been playing a Cleric for about a week now, and although I had a rough start, I am finding it a very fun and rewarding class.

Here are some general tips for PvP, as well as some Cleric specific tips and a little video of me playing a lower level cleric (level 21).

1. Fight on the nodes. Do not fight in the alleyways. Do not fight around the edges of the nodes, fight RIGHT ON TOP OF the nodes. There are two main reasons for this. The first is that if the node is your opponents: If you are standing on top of it, it becomes contested. Contested nodes don't generate any points. So although you aren't gaining points, neither are they. The second reason, is if you are able to keep pressure on the center of the node, your opponents will usually move to the outside. It is very possible to actually take the node over, while fighting over it.

2. The more players standing on a node, the faster it will be captured. At the start, I would suggest a 2-3 split. 2 go to your closest node, the other 3 go to mid. Once your node is captured, have one of the two go to mid to help, and the other go to the other side to harass their node. By doing this, you have a node for your side fast, and mid is being contested, after a few mins, their side is either contested or captured.

3. Don't chase people too far. The goal in Domination PvP isn't to chase people around getting kills. It is to win the match by capturing and holding nodes. I know the blood lust kicks in at times, and it is hard to refrain, but if you are chasing someone for more than a few seconds, it is probably too far. Switch targets or root/stun/snare them.

The rest are Cleric only tips...

4. I have found it most beneficial to first Heal, then Kill. If you run up to a battle, put a heal on your team mates, heal up the guy which has the focus fire, then lay the smack down on your opponents.

5. Try to focus fire on targets that are already being attacked. Since we have ranged abilities, it is easier for us hover over a target, and start pew-pewing than it is for the melee classes. If someone is going after a target, help them kill it, instead of going after your own.

6. Don't be afraid to be a bulls eye, but keep your distance. As a Cleric, you will probably be every ones number one target. This can work to our advantage, as long as we keep our distance from the pain train. Lead your attacker as everyone else kills them(staying on the node!), then turn around and blast them to hell. :D

I have only been playing for a little over a week, I didn't play in beta, and I am not claiming to be a 'pro'. I just really enjoy the Cleric, and wanted to offer what I have learned in my experiences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zto-Ffe8uI0&feature=youtu.be
Post edited by bunzaga on

Comments

• Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if i could offer suggestions:

don't waste your divinity bar on the divinity at-wills. they're really <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-poor. i noticed that you used them several times throughout the video. they don't really do enough damage/healing to justify the costs, tbh.

such as around 4 mins in, you fight a GWF 1v1; you start channeling the left click at-will and it does about 70 per tick; a single swipe of your sacred flame does around 120-ish. there was a couple points where doing this ended up leaving you with no divinity to use, say, a divine version of HW, etc.

other wise, it was OK for low level PVP. tho, i'm around the same level, its really annoying not having all the delicious tools you get later down the line. ._.
  • Options
    bunzagabunzaga Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I usually burn and earn divinity, or save up to earn 1 tic for specific things, like the aoe knock back, or insta heal if needed... I don't use it on chains very often, but perhaps I should. I noticed that with the Divinity tic, it doesn't do as much, but it does it fast. So that 70 per tic probably tics twice as fast as one sacred flame. The other major advantage: YOU CAN MOVE WHILE USING THEM.

But I'll take your advice, and keep an eye out for better uses for it.
  • Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bunzaga wrote: »
    Yeah, I usually burn and earn divinity, or save up to earn 1 tic for specific things, like the aoe knock back, or insta heal if needed... I don't use it on chains very often, but perhaps I should. I noticed that with the Divinity tic, it doesn't do as much, but it does it fast. So that 70 per tic probably tics twice as fast as one sacred flame. The other major advantage: YOU CAN MOVE WHILE USING THEM.

But I'll take your advice, and keep an eye out for better uses for it.

yeah. that's about the only advantage it has over a normal at-will; however, it drains really fast. you can get about, roughly, 7-8 ticks (i think?) off for a single divinity bar.

using it on chains would be a really good use of it. it makes it proc instantly instead of needing to wait for the 2-3 second setup time. using it on sunburst is, of course, baller as ****.

i'm really hesitating to PVP myself. i'm waiting for my full kit, so to speak, before i really get involved in PVP.
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm not seeing any hallowed ground usage? That's probably the best cleric team move going, +15% defense and attack on all allies is very significant. In PVP I would usually have one offensive Daily and Hallowed Ground where Hallowed Ground is a point taker/protector.

As you are relatively low level you are missing out on some really good moves. There is one I am missing out on as well which which is Astral Shield but before that there is Forgemaster's Flame which I do have. Forgemaster's flame however requires divinity (else it's a waste) but with Divinity it becomes one of the best moves going and best targeted on melee based classes, GF, GWF & TR. Since you can only have 3 encounters however you are going to have to sacrifice some.
  • Options
    mutelunaticmutelunatic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if i could offer suggestions:

don't waste your divinity bar on the divinity at-wills. they're really <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-poor. i noticed that you used them several times throughout the video. they don't really do enough damage/healing to justify the costs, tbh.

such as around 4 mins in, you fight a GWF 1v1; you start channeling the left click at-will and it does about 70 per tick; a single swipe of your sacred flame does around 120-ish. there was a couple points where doing this ended up leaving you with no divinity to use, say, a divine version of HW, etc.

other wise, it was OK for low level PVP. tho, i'm around the same level, its really annoying not having all the delicious tools you get later down the line. ._.

Level 27 cleric here I usually do 3-4 pvp matches a day. So far I've found at lower levels using your divinity bar for your at wills is perfectly fine. I know at later levels the scaling is pretty bad so once I get some good tools to burn DP on I will stop using the at wills. The only thing you really want to burn it on is empowered healing word so that it doesn't use a charge and sun burst for the knock back. I never have had a problem landing chains so it is extremely rare that I would use it with DP. Even then I often find myself with an excess of DP. At lower levels the at will damaging attack is actually quite painful. Its a great power to burn someone down that last 20%. Never go below 1 pip though in case you need that emergency heal/knock back.

Hallowed Ground is definitely a must use. I have often been outnumbered 2 to 1 and held a point while the rest of the team comes in to play cavalry due to Hallowed Ground and come out of it healthy enough to be useful for the ensuing fight. When the numbers are even your team just seems to rip through 1 or 2 targets in the time it is active. I have started to see some teams that run when Hallowed Ground is placed but that gives you time to secure the point, get more points, and heal up your team before the enemy rushes back in.