test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP is Extremely Boken

stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I'm going to try and put together a list type of thing to get this going and I hope someone looks at it.

This isn't a whine thread, nor is it a "pls nerf i cant kill nobody" thread. I feel like if you're going to let people into an "open beta" and charge them for things, then you better be able to fix what's broken.

Grouping. Maybe it's something that has just been going on the night of me posting this, but there appears to be an issue that prevents people from actually zoning into PvP. They'll get the queue pop, get placed into a party, but they never actually get zoned into the match while the match carries on without them.

The way that grouping is handled. I realize I could simply form a pre-made and go roflstomp everyone with my l33t skills but I don't enjoy that. I like the idea of PuG vs PuG even though it will obviously never be as ideal as that. However, one thing that needs to be looked at in my opinion, is the way the system matches you with other classes. It should work in the same way the group finder (sort of) works for dungeon groups; fill out the trinity then place whoever else in there. Queuing for PvP and getting placed into a domination match with 4 rogues is not fun. It's an insta-loss. While some argue that rogues are "OP" (they're not, btw), rogues can't heal, they can't tank, and.. well, what do they do? Beside the point, that's gotta be fixed. The queuing needs to at least try to balance the ratios. There's only 5 classes, with 5 people on each team. Figure it out.

The queue system in general needs some serious work. Replacing people who drop out or people you're forced to kick because they're AFK would be wonderful. 3v5 is never fun.

Consumables. No, I'm not kidding. If you don't allow companions in PvP, get rid of the consumables. At the moment, every stat boosting consumable, hit point regen consumable, and portable altars work in PvP. This provides an advantage whether you want to admit it or not. It seems as if these may have actually been overlooked since normal hit point potions can't be used in PvP.

Mounts. Totally not needed. I paid for the guardian pack and I feel like I have an advantage over other people just because I sped past a rogue on my 110% mount, he hit me for over 1k, and I didn't get knocked off. Blew right on by him to the domination point. Not cool, those are not needed.

I pretty much exclusively PvP because that's just how I do things and this is the stuff I've noticed so far since the early access date for the $60 folks. If anyone has anything to add to this, please do. The PvP in this game actually has some potential when you (try) and look past the fact that there are things that can be purchased with real money that provide advantages over other players and if anything, I'd at least like to see the PvP get better.

Edit: It appears that I am unable to edit the title of my own thread, so I guess it will remain as "Pvp is Extremely Boken" :p
Post edited by stereoblindx on

Comments

• jjackson360zjjackson360z Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree with this, also people are starting to afk farm in matches??? they need a serious update on pvp before they start nerfing classes, which is inevitable lol. which is a shame so far I really enjoy pvp but its so buggy that I find it hard to not get frustrated
  • stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree with this, also people are starting to afk farm in matches??? they need a serious update on pvp before they start nerfing classes, which is inevitable lol. which is a shame so far I really enjoy pvp but its so buggy that I find it hard to not get frustrated

Yeah I think it will be awhile before classes get the nerfbats. The PvP in this game to me has been consistently fun in all the brackets so far, it could be something that keeps the game steady with updates and such. Something I'd stick around for, anyway.
  • stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, just got in a match and at the very beginning one guy said "hey we're going AFK probably won't be back"

And that was that. We played the match 2v5. Couldn't kick them because one of them was lead. They make it so difficult to want to PvP.
    edited May 2013
    yeah, it has the potential to be a simple fix as well, vote kick, afk after 5 mins = ban. Other games handle this problem in the same way.
    edited May 2013
    Even a deserter debuff would be fine with me, just anything at this point to get rid of that stuff. It's becoming more popular by the hour it seems. When I'm zoning into a match I'm no longer thinking about my stats and abilities on my bar, I'm simply wondering if I even have a team by the time the gates drop. lol
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013
    TBH for PvP leavers/AFKers they need to implement some kind of detector system and these guys out or PvP for awhile, should stop these AFK farmers.
    Along with this they need to stop matching teams of 2 rogues and 3 wizards vs a team of GWF and GFs etc.
    edited May 2013
    so I was just match made and the afk farmer kicked me after warning my team what he/she was doing XD what a problem this is.
  • greedyswinegreedyswine Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm im not lvl 60 but i have exp in games and i am a pvp player.I think these afk farmers are a real problem rly.On my lvls i havent encountered much afking,maybe 1 in every 6th game.This needs to be fixed and FAST im lvl 34 and will be on lvl 60 soon.I better not find afk farmers when i get there ;)!
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm im not lvl 60 but i have exp in games and i am a pvp player.I think these afk farmers are a real problem rly.On my lvls i havent encountered much afking,maybe 1 in every 6th game.This needs to be fixed and FAST im lvl 34 and will be on lvl 60 soon.I better not find afk farmers when i get there ;)!

And I hope you don't, as it is pretty bad.
  • charlesdickkingscharlesdickkings Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wholeheartedly agree on all parts. The mounts and consumables are something I'd very much like them to address, either by disallowing both all together or seriously leveling the playing field. The afk farming is something they have to deal with, rather sooner than later. That just can't go on.
  • turkleblumturkleblum Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    standardize gear along with level for different level brackets.
    remove the health powerup, or make it stop regenerating if you're attacked.
    make all mounts go at the same speed in pvp
    change the way scoring works, it encourages point <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    explain mechanics of pvp better to players
    something something nerf everything
  • meetgeorgejetsonmeetgeorgejetson Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you standardize the gear, you have to standardize character health care resulting in an encumbering political dispute between the devs/admins it would be easier to just remove all the swordsmiths
    edited May 2013
    more and more people are doing this afk farming, pvp is seriously not playable
  • kernaughkernaugh Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    do small balances instead of big ones, dont change the whole class in a patch but reduce their damage by 5%, decrease their cc duration by 0.5s and so on. It should be easier to do and will reduce the "flavor of the month" classes happening.

Add arenas and open world PvP (like a zone with highly farmable mobs = alot of people = alot of pvp). Ofc add a ranking system, without it, there is no glory in pvp.
  • cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The leader can manually click F and kick the AFker that is if the leader isnt the one afking..lol
  • warbrwarbr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I love PvP, when I play a MMO, I expect a good pvp, and yes there are some problems that needs to be fixed, mainly the AFKers, but I really dont agree with ppl that complain about pre-made groups in PvP, I personally didnt make any pre-made yet cuz my friends are still not at lv 60, but, I look forward to do that, and not just cuz I want to own everybody in there, it is just cuz I want to play with my friends or my clan or w/e.
    edited May 2013
    hopefully the devs update pvp soon
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about this:
    Less then 300 points, both team effort and individual=0 rewards.
    edited May 2013
    vote kick would be nice
  • healurownbumhealurownbum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know this isnt helpful, and im even ashamed to say it. But when i get in to the match first thing i say is Kick afkers, or i will afk. Unless ofc im the leader. It does make the leader generally kick the afker. If not i will afk cause i dont see the point in even trying if ppl are afk... (U can hate me now...)
  • nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    warbr wrote: »
    I love PvP, when I play a MMO, I expect a good pvp, and yes there are some problems that needs to be fixed, mainly the AFKers, but I really dont agree with ppl that complain about pre-made groups in PvP, I personally didnt make any pre-made yet cuz my friends are still not at lv 60, but, I look forward to do that, and not just cuz I want to own everybody in there, it is just cuz I want to play with my friends or my clan or w/e.

Not defending the horrible PVP in this game, but i never understood how people enjoy a pvp system that relies so heavily on gear. I play Counter-Strike-esque games for my first person pvp fix, but I'm more into LoL, Smite and Super Monday Night Combat, so much more fun than MMO pvp like horrible WoW pvp where each patch just turned a different class into the flavor of the month.

No idea why MMOs haven't tossed the whole gear based PVP out the window and embraced creating even just a simple version of MOBAs into their pvp. (PVP rewards would be solely for PVE and everyone would start on the same page on entering, just skill and decisions deciding who wins)
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
    edited May 2013
    nokturnel wrote: »
    Not defending the horrible PVP in this game, but i never understood how people enjoy a pvp system that relies so heavily on gear. I play Counter-Strike-esque games for my first person pvp fix, but I'm more into LoL, Smite and Super Monday Night Combat, so much more fun than MMO pvp like horrible WoW pvp where each patch just turned a different class into the flavor of the month.

No idea why MMOs haven't tossed the whole gear based PVP out the window and embraced creating even just a simple version of MOBAs into their pvp. (PVP rewards would be solely for PVE and everyone would start on the same page on entering, just skill and decisions deciding who wins)

I also play other games for a good pvp experience, like Dota 2, cs:go. However they are completely different games. I personally play neverwinters pvp because I like the game-play, its extremely fun and fast paced. I do think it would be interesting to come out with a completely balanced version without gear checking. Guild wars 2 did this for their pvp kind of, you can only use the gear they provide, but matchmaking in Gw2 was horrible.
  • meetgeorgejetsonmeetgeorgejetson Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would really like to see a system for encouraging Clerics to get a high score in pvp matches
    edited May 2013
    yeah they should totally work on the point system, you can just back cap all game and try to get top score and get your free blue.
  • nachonachomannachonachoman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, i've experienced 20-30 pvp so far, I've sen maybe 2-3 afk'er in about 50+ games. The thing I see pretty often is :
    -Someone disconnected before the gate opens ... Hm.. Connection issues ? No clue. Happens pretty often thought.
    -People leaving after 1 min of fight, it seems many players dont like ''challenge''.

Just this morning i've been trough 5 games, in a row, of the kinds cited above. Useless to say that I was really '%$! Off.
    I've also been stuck outside the pvp zone a few times, I definitely feel bad to throw down a game... But how am I supposed to kill someone I can't see ? xD

Hopefully, the devs will do something about it very soon, PvP area are very well done in NVW.
    PS : Some more maps wouldn't hurt.. Or maybe... PvP map Foundry someday ? xD
  • mourilssmourilss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play with 4 other guys and the pvp gets quite boring... because we played around 50 games and never lost one the closest match i got so far was 1000:300 there must be smth implemented that premades only can play vs premades not just a coordinated grp vs 5 rnds thats definetely not fair and not fun for them and neither for us. btw were running cleric gwf cw and 2 rogues and all i can say gwf are great in pvp
  • onarollof4onarollof4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013

you really don't see alot of afk people at level 60, up here its serious business, we've already done everything else, so whats left? well to farm glory buy items and sell for AD so we can have epic enchantments, the problem is that alot of people disconnect entirely but most of the time if someone fails to load in or asks to be kicked, you will receive a new 5th ONLY before the gate drops, if your team only has 3 or 4 after that gate goes down, thats your team for the entire fight.
    Testimonium Infinem
    edited May 2013
    you must be lucky, lv 60 and its the same problem
  • nodensnttnodensntt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most of the points in the original post are bogus really.

a) The queue problems have nothing to do with pvp. It's the queue system. It happens in dungeons and in skirmishes as well.

b) The mounts. Really? Everyone can get a better mount. Although it takes money (or time) but those who have them right out the box at max speed bonus (heroes and guardians) have actually paid for them as well.

c) The matchmaking system. The game does not use the "Holy Trinity" system. You are badly misinformed. It uses the DnD concept of Striker, Controller, Leader and Defender. With this concept not all roles are necessary to be there. There are specific combinations that work. The same matching also happens in Dungeons, not only in PvP. You can end up in a dungeon group with 2 rogues and 3 wizards (2 Strikers and 3 Controllers) because that is a valid combination (and it's perfectly doable). Same rules apply to the pvp matching. Before requesting feature changes, you should do some research in how the system works. Otherwise you can not have a proper opinion. This game does not follow what you think you know.

d) Consumables. Healing potions don't work. So that's it. Altars work but do nothing while in combat and both sides can use them (everyone has an abundance of those), the other consumables are lost upon death and again everyone can use them. So what is really the issue here?

e) Rogues are Strikers and can do a lot of things if played properly. Since you can't find a use for them, they're the main class for single target damage, they have tactical/situational tools and excel at juggling capture points. But the main point is that you're matched in combinations of Striker, Controller, Leader and Defender that actually work.

Apart from the queuing issues that you mention (which are misreported as pvp issues when they're global queueing issues), the rest of your post has no valid points and should not be in bug report section.
  • liggy1990liggy1990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i planned to pvp all weekend instead of earn double astrals but its so buggy (lags or freezes the screen) its hard to play without people screaming at you for been afk when in actual fact you just cant move :/