test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric aggro - needs to be fixed.

xnargrothxxnargrothx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I play a cleric and my main focus is teamplay and dungeons.

However, dungeons past level 30 are no fun at all as a cleric. It's an exercise in frustration.

I drop 1 x Astral Seal on a mob, then every add either in the fight, or summoned in during fight, will zerg on the cleric. The GF can drop a taunt and stop them, temporarily, from hitting me. But that's a short term solution, as in, buys me enough time to get enough stamina for one more dodge. Awesome.

I even wasted (and yes I say wasted) feat points into the threat reduction abilities. However, those don't help at all. The mobs still stack up like crazy on the cleric.

So what can I do?

Drop Astral Zeals on the high-hp mobs, then dodge, dodge, pot, pot, pot, dodge, dodge, pot, dodge, pot.

It's ridiculous, not to mention burns through pots. Why is the heal-aggro so way of the chart?

Right now I just parked my cleric indefinitely and play my rogue instead. At least the rogue gets minimal aggro, and if you do get aggro it's usually only from 1 mob that you can stealth away from anyways.

If they want people to play Clerics in this game they really need to look into the huge threat generation from even the simplest heals. I'm sick and tired of kiting 8+ mobs around while spamming pots everytime I attempt to throw a heal out, watching tank being entirely impotent in terms of threat generation.

Also doesn't help that the heals barely work on the cleric him/her-self (which is why you have to pot-spam so much).

On top of that, trying to quest between dungeons when solo is even more frustrating and slow.

So what incentive is there really to play a cleric?

Lots of kiting.
Lots of dodging.
Wasting all your gold on pots.
Slow to level.

Oh yeah, also get yelled at in PUG groups because you aren't healing... which is usually because 90% of the mobs are stacked on you, or because you are already downed and spamming the Rez-me button.

My cleric... parked indefinitely.

See you all in a dungeon as yet another rogue in the group.
Post edited by xnargrothx on

Comments

• desadariusdesadarius Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree on a few levels here. First, the sooth ability seems to be bugged. There are a few posts that recommend removing your armor and then putting the sooth ability on and then putting your armor back on. This is suppose to help, but it doesn't help much. Healing aggro in NW is over the top and way to high. It was suppose to be fixed already, but it is still way too high. At level 60 running Epic Dungeons, I find every Ad in the dungeon makes a B-line straight for me. You're right, it's not fun running and kiting all day. Finally, I really despise the fact that our heals are 40% less effective on us. To me, it makes no sense whatsoever.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did the same, went to my rogue alt because I cant heal like I want to. I keep getting 15-20 adds in boss fights and getting massacred as a cleric, and everyone likes to scream bad cleric.

At what point in time am I a bad cleric...when I dont heal you and you get zerged with all the adds and die, or when I DO heal you, get zerged by the adds and die then you get swarmed and die? Which part makes me a bad cleric again?
  • john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't even waste points on the sooth buff or put it on your bar it's worthless, you will pull aggro anyway. Spend those points for the action point gain buff instead so you can practically spam your dailys. And yes they need to take off that stupid righteousness so we can actually heal ourselves, that would help. Funny thing is in beta they already turned down Cleric aggro once, guess they didn't turn it down enough!
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • xnargrothxxnargrothx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Did they turn down Cleric aggro or increase the GF threat generation?

Either way, it seems both are overboard right now. Rather, to clarify, clerics generate way too much aggro and GF's generate way too little threat.

As for the self-heal being reduced I can only guess this is something related to Clerics not being OP healbots in PvP. However, if that *is* the case, then simply make the reduced self-heal activate only when in PvP.

Given the current state of the cleric I can only say that I am <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-bored of spamming pots and dodging mobs 24/7 everytime I am healing. And sure, you can have your group help kill the adds, but even then your self-heals are unable to keep you alive, and your armor/hp is too weak to tank the zerg of mobs. So you have to dodge, and dodge, and pot, and pot...

Seriously, fix this cleric issue already.

I love playing a healer, I love dungeon crawls, but I absolutely can't live with the current state of the cleric in the game.
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clerics are the most powerful class in this game.
    Clerics are also the most difficult class to master in this game hands down. I leveled insanely fast with my cleric, only trouble levels I had were from 48-50 when I was drinking quite a fiew potions..mind you that only lasted about an hour. If you are having this much trouble as a cleric "you" are doing something wrong, theres nothing wrong with the class at all.

It isnt clear at all yet, if threat is working like it is intended to. Yes every cleric and GF is complaining, so I'm assuming its not working properly. But I have yet to hear, or see Cryptic address the threat issue, unless I missed a thread I havent heard them talk about it.

My suggestion to you is read up on some cleric builds, cleric gear, watch some videos of clerics, try and learn something. But like I said, the cleric class in this game isnt your typical easy mode stand in one place press a heal button every now and then Cleric. It takes alot of skill to be a good cleric.

Also, at lvl 60 running T2's. As far as pots go, generally my group is never using pots the entire dungeon unless they do something dumb. I go through a couple, depending on the group of course

Hope this helps bud

Check out Deistiks(sp?) Build on the cleric forum. I use one very similar and its amazing
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Just to play devils advocate... I know as a GF there are many powers and feats that increase aggro. It is possible that many tanks simply are not speccing full tank mode. It's tempting to spend points on a new offensive skill rather than a threat mechanic.

I leveled a GF to 25 only to realize how I should have spent my points. I deleted him and started over. You may have tanks that are runing hybrid dps/tank specs and not wiling to buy a respec token.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    It isnt clear at all yet, if threat is working like it is intended to. Yes every cleric and GF is complaining, so I'm assuming its not working properly. But I have yet to hear, or see Cryptic address the threat issue, unless I missed a thread I havent heard them talk about it.

Give me a second, and I'll prove you wrong.
    h2oratty wrote: »
    This is being looked into for a fix.

Posted by a member of cryptic about aggro mechanics.
  • dadeleviathandadeleviathan Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    i agree that heal aggro seriously need to be addressed. Heal aggro should still be there. After all, the healer is the most important member of the party in many dungeons, and as such it makes sense that they cause aggro.

What needs to be done, is the threat generation abilities of the GF needs to be increased, the utility and/or damage of the GWF needs to be increased, and preferably both the heal aggro needs to be decreased and the threat reduction abilities need to be increased.

Right now, heal aggro, especially once you start rising above level 30, is ridiculous. Is it impossible to deal with no? No. If you have TRs and GWFs in the group that know what they're doing, they can assist in keeping the mobs off of the healer, but it's still a neverending grind fest for the healer in question.

so overall, heal aggro should remain, but it needs to be reduced, the utility and/or damage of GWF needs to be increased, and the threat reduction / threat generation abilities of the GF and the DC need to be increased.
  • sarraserasarrasera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I don't think the Threat generation is off balance, it seems more like a system, we are not too comfortable with. Let me explain:

We have our average group. One Tank, Healer, 3 DPS. So we aer in the middle of the Dungeon/Skirmish and about to engage the next encounter. 1 Big NPC, 2 small ones. Tank storms off to attack the big NPC, 3 DPS start hitting the big NPC. Since they all stay together, Healer casts Astral shield on the Big NPCs, so everyone gets heals. Suddenly, the two small ones get their first Threat points from those heals you are generating, so they all come after you. Tank manages to catch them before they reach you. Phew.
    Two small NPCs go down, Big one at 50% summons two new waves of NPCs. The big one still has Astral Seal active, everyone hitting him, so the two new Waves get Thread on you, loads of, since everyone hitting them is about one heal you cast.
    Two waves running at you, and then it gets chaotic.

Where I am going is, our passive heals generate lots of Threat to us as clerics. If new groups join the fight (what seems to be Cryptic answer to "moar challengzzzz!") you suddenly have all their attention, since you are the first one to do anything to "aggro" them.

A possible solution would be to put the healing and the created thread on the person who does hit the NPC and create said healing effect. Sure, it would look bad on the "most healing done" Window, but I rather be on the last spot and get my loot, than not at all.

At least I am pretty sure that is how the threat loss and all works, since if there is only one NPC, and the Guardian Fighter is pummeling away on it, I can do whatever I want, I can't healaggro-steal that mob. And I tried several times.
  • kissell19kissell19 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    xnargrothx wrote: »
    I play a cleric and my main focus is teamplay and dungeons.

However, dungeons past level 30 are no fun at all as a cleric. It's an exercise in frustration.

I drop 1 x Astral Seal on a mob, then every add either in the fight, or summoned in during fight, will zerg on the cleric. The GF can drop a taunt and stop them, temporarily, from hitting me. But that's a short term solution, as in, buys me enough time to get enough stamina for one more dodge. Awesome.

I even wasted (and yes I say wasted) feat points into the threat reduction abilities. However, those don't help at all. The mobs still stack up like crazy on the cleric.

So what can I do?

Drop Astral Zeals on the high-hp mobs, then dodge, dodge, pot, pot, pot, dodge, dodge, pot, dodge, pot.

It's ridiculous, not to mention burns through pots. Why is the heal-aggro so way of the chart?

Right now I just parked my cleric indefinitely and play my rogue instead. At least the rogue gets minimal aggro, and if you do get aggro it's usually only from 1 mob that you can stealth away from anyways.

If they want people to play Clerics in this game they really need to look into the huge threat generation from even the simplest heals. I'm sick and tired of kiting 8+ mobs around while spamming pots everytime I attempt to throw a heal out, watching tank being entirely impotent in terms of threat generation.

Also doesn't help that the heals barely work on the cleric him/her-self (which is why you have to pot-spam so much).

On top of that, trying to quest between dungeons when solo is even more frustrating and slow.

So what incentive is there really to play a cleric?

Lots of kiting.
    Lots of dodging.
    Wasting all your gold on pots.
    Slow to level.

Oh yeah, also get yelled at in PUG groups because you aren't healing... which is usually because 90% of the mobs are stacked on you, or because you are already downed and spamming the Rez-me button.

My cleric... parked indefinitely.

See you all in a dungeon as yet another rogue in the group.

Time to change your build. Yes clerics will get agro. I think people are just trying to view the cleric and healing here like it is in other mmo's. It is absolutely not like any other standard mmo. You must think about the class like you are a battle cleric. You are in the middle of the mobs beating the **** out of the whole group and healing all your buddies at the same time. This is healing here in neverwinter.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?157861-Videos-Cleric-Epic-Dungeon-Runs-and-Build

Watch these videos and do something similar. I am at the top of all meters after a dungeon. Healing done, damage done , damage taken, etc. So far everything has felt way too easy. We are battle clerics and people must play them as such. Aslo we dont get the best healing spell until 50 unfortunately, but things are still relatively easy up until then also.

My 2 c
  • kissell19kissell19 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    We are battle clerics. You should be in the middle of the pack with the tank and the rest of the mobs. Healing and killing at the same time. Clerics cannot just sit back and toss out heals here. We are best sitting in the middle of the pack laying waste and spewing heals at the same time.
  • ironmanfuryironmanfury Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea i agree with alot of sarrasera's post, this game need 2 be looked at from a new viewpoint, that is for all classes, is not you basic tank, spank, pick up the loot. and the cleric and Tank are just very different then most, me as a Guardian got about 50% of my focus on the Cleric 2 help him out as much as possible, we kinda need 2 play more like a Bodyguard sometimes, with is fine by me. it seems 2 make the epic runs more enjoyable that way.
    praetorian-helmet.gif