test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighters are a Joke

darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Anyone else notice this? They are the only hydrib class. AoE damage is supposed to be their specialty. They are supposed to have higher survivability then the rogue. If only all of these things were true. I am constantly finding my self at the bottom of the damage charts, under the healers, under the GFs. I can't hold aggro worth <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I lose HP terribly fast. Quantitatively, they are the worst class.

In PvP I get ignored because my damage is so low that even wizards can stand their and kill me while I beat on them in melee range. In addition, I really like sprint, but with how fast it goes down and no invincibility frames while using it, it is the least mitigating avoidance ability of any class. Over all I believe all this stuff would be fine if they just did decent in one area.

I find this sad because in beta 3 I found that my damage was about 25% less then the rogue's, where it should be. But if the combat has been large group fights my damage should be 25% over the rogues, even though it wasn't. Rogues still do more AoE and single target damage then GWF.

I have speced for damage, and for tanking and either way I feel as though the Great Weapon Fighter is worthless. With low damage, no easy aggro abilities, and low surivability, they are, hands down, the worst class.
Post edited by darkstorn42 on

Comments

• Options
    caiotamiettecaiotamiette Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i agree with u, GM FIX THIS SH***, so bad
  • Options
    caiotamiettecaiotamiette Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    All I can say is, wait until you are level 60.

You will wish you never made this post.
  • Options
    kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Wait till t2 dungeons it changes some the negative damage on multiple mobs becomes <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on infinite add spawns.
  • Options
    purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once you get about 30+ you will actually start doing more damage then a GF and Cleric, though it still is a notch below the others. It does get better but unfortunately its not going to exactly 'match wits' with CW or TR, particularly if your looking at it from a pvp standpoint. PvE wise getting to 50 actually felt quite great like I actually could kill stuff, granted I know TR and CW have had 0 problems doing it fast before, the fact GWF are so weak early on it actually made it feel quite satisfying.
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
  • Options
    dannyw22dannyw22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    at max lvl you do pretty well in dungeons im a lvl 60 GWF and I even beat rogues sometimes in pvp but I do have to keep my wits about me when killing things cause my dmg can drop in an instant but ye for an offtank class they suck they cant hold aggro they cant take dmg at all 3 normal mobs on me hurts badly ..
  • Options
    wtfgivemeanamewtfgivemeaname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not 30+. I'd even hesitate to say 40+. But, at 60, GWF is a beast of a class.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It is absolute <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> relative to the other classes for most of the leveling curve, but in the end...what level do you think you're going to end up spending the most time at? ;)

Though, I still think it's relatively poopy at pvp, even at 60, but that's more a limitation of a combat system that has static animations and no reduced effects of CC making any ranged class in the hands of a competent player exponentially better than a melee one.

If I thought for even two seconds that Neverwinter was a pvp game, I might care. It's a beast at end game PVE though.
  • Options
    baofengyubaofengyu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its true. its very sad, but its true. Class is useless. Also, classes that are only any good end game are less fulfilling. As you enjoy the game less through the precious early levels. Who really wants to be a liability from 1-59?
  • Options
    xixtisxixtis Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not 30+. I'd even hesitate to say 40+. But, at 60, GWF is a beast of a class.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It is absolute <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> relative to the other classes for most of the leveling curve, but in the end...what level do you think you're going to end up spending the most time at? ;)

I understand what you're trying to say, and that of the others above you, but I really hate this argument anyway.

I haven't had the opportunity to play around with the game much yet, but coming from Tera, where Lancer's have pretty much set the bar for everything I want going forward in a tanking class, I'm so far pretty unimpressed both graphically and functionally with this game. Making a class or two limp its way to the top because "it's worth it in the end" isn't the trumping card that makes it okay. Further, I'd be appalled if this were the mentality of the development team with regards to this class.

Technically, it's still beta, but anymore that doesn't mean much, and it means even less being a Cryptic product.
  • Options
    vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am doing good damage, keeping up with the wizards and rogues, but I just found my first stereotypical extremely melee unfriendly fight, the Grey Wolf Den boss.

Holy hell, the mechanic here is that shadow wolves spawn around the boss (melee range) that do INSANE damage, the 2 wolves will kill you in scalemail with 12K HP in 2 autoattacks each, and the boss is dashing around to random targets on top of that so the tank has trouble controlling the wolves.

Typical.

I basically just stayed off the boss and tried to intercept the wolves with CC the whole fight. I get caught in one ground thing and died. Our healer went down shortly after and 2 CWs just kited it the rest of the way down.

I recommend GWF skip this dungeon altogether.
  • Options
    jforjerkjforjerk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    When you get Weapon master's strike, a whole new world opens up. Suddenly you can start finding small rotations and getting the most out of your class. Some dungeons after 35 I've out DPSd rogues if there's lots of mobs. Doesn't mean I did good since I probably focused too much on DPS instead of doing what I'm supposed to (defending the backbone, off-tank, peeling mobs of healers...).

Anyways. GWFs are a little slow PvE, yes, but they are sturdy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! I've been able to counter 4-5 elites (bordered HPbar and star) + adds when I did very bad pulls while leveling. Fiddle with your encounters for either more single-target or AoE and you'll have no problem. When I reached level 35 I realized why they nerfed GWFs.

Yes, A DC can one-shot groups of minions with Divinepower+flameencounter, but they can NOT do steady, high, AOE damage. Even if they crit 4.5k (around lvl 40) on 5-6 mobs with that encounter, they have a 10ish sec cooldown, and at that time I can happily WMS everything for 6-700 crits to EVERY mob around me. The numbers wont be as high as other classes, granted, but the total combined damage will. And you can crit for high numbers on single targets with encounters.

Or maybe I'm just trying to force myself into believing something I shouldn't. Hell do I know I'm only level 43.
  • Options
    ashenspireashenspire Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, we're underpowered. Please buff us.

~Secret Society of people that got their GWF to end game.
  • Options
    weavingharp9weavingharp9 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im not 60 yet so cant say about that but I really suggest a buff to GWF at low/mid levels! I know level 60 balance is more important but know serveral people that gave up on the class because it just werent fun enough to level so much slower than other classes without knowing if it would actually get fun later on or if it was just a waste of time! Anyways, creators should obviously try to balance the entire game! So please dont say "GWF is fine, they can compete with the other classes at the very endgame" But what about the rest of the game? Shouldn't that be enjoyable too?
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    All I can say is, wait until you are level 60.

You will wish you never made this post.

Sure, play through 60 painful levels just to shine at 60 where you'll inevitably get bored from lack of things to do.

Good idea.
  • Options
    ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    Sure, play through 60 painful levels just to shine at 60 where you'll inevitably get bored from lack of things to do.

Good idea.

Someone with common sense. How rare.

Just reroll from GWF. It is a trash class, and that is that.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    feat points can increase your sprint , by reducing the stamina cost .
    My only problems so far leveling have been crypts ... no room to dodge . But still doable , just my fist bit of potion intensive combat.
    I like the GWF , the more I fight the better I do . You need to make your yellows match with your red and green attacks . A guildy has a GWF and he is totally different then mine . he is all about single target damage and I'm all AoE . Either way we both can roll through stuff , I don't see a problem with this class . We actualy only had one yellow the same , now that is customizable classes .
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this game is anything like other MMO's then you can be assured there will be no shortage of class tweaking, breaking, and buffing. I'm sure everyone will get their moment in the sun. For now, play the class which mechanics you like - not what is currently strong or popular. My 2 coppers.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i'm LVL 60 AND ALL GUYS IN THE SAME LEVEL HAVE THIS PROBLEM

FIX GWF GM, IT'S RIDICULOS
  • Options
    vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I am heading towards 60 pretty fast so it's no big deal
  • Options
    demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've only gotten to level 10 with my GWF, then I deleted him and started a Rogue. Never looked back. Cryptic can you please nerf CWs now?
  • Options
    zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, GWF needs a buff
  • Options
    darktaco667darktaco667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I don't feel that they are that weak early game from a PVE perspective. It's not that bad at all.

But from 1-30 in PVP it's just AWFUL. I even spent 100k in AD, bought all blue items... but no difference. In PVE my auto attacks will hit for at LEAST what the weapon damage is...and my encounters will at least do what they say they will. The second I go into PVP those same attacks do 80% less damage!!!!! SERIOUSLY!! Every time I try to mention it in in-game chat, people just say it has to do with Armor pen. In the 10-20 & 20-30 brackets? No.

It's as though they have a debuff when they go into PVP: "All attacks do 80% less damage against player controlled targets."

WTF. Honestly, in the Beta weekends it wasn't that bad. Little weaker than others sure, but I could kill someone eventually. Now, I swear to god I can stay on a target busting out as much dps as I'm capable of, from behind, as they completely ignore me.... and I won't even take them down to 50% in over a minute of constant attacking them. ANY CLASS.

Is there some kind of PVP nerf going on? It's ridiculous. If I did the same amount of damage I do in PVE there'd be no issue, but I don't. (My 11 GF has stronger at-will damage when in PVP than my 19 GWF....) I'm going to power through to 60, but I swear to god if this doesn't get better I'm going to be really upset