test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Encrouraging greed is pitiful design

voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Many players are already scumbags and don't need much encouragement to be greedy pieces of human trash, so why not design fair systems instead of systems that encourage greed and lead to more scumbag behavior?

Example 1. In some skirmishes there are chests. Like in Storming the Keep. Unlike chests inside quest instances or dungeon instances, these chests are single use - for the first person to open them only. They also often contain superior loot like blues. So what happens is it's a free for all to see which greedy piece of garbage can get to the chest first. Stuff in chests isn't rolled on.

Example 2. Why is there even an option to "need" on unidentified greens that any class can use? Those should be greed only. Hell, it's a waste of time to even be rolling on them, it should just be round robin default. Worst case, you only 2 choices should be roll or pass. Why even let greedy scumbags roll need on stuff they don't need? Utterly moronic design...unless you're a scumbag that likes to screw everyone else over for loot I guess.

Example 3. Why can people ever roll need on gear their class can't use? Ever? If you can't use it, you should only be able to roll greed. Period. This does open the door up for players of a class to roll need on stuff they don't actually need to be greedy themselves, but at least that is just 1-2 potential scumbags instead of everyone else in the group being scumbags and possibly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over someone who is actually in need.

Looting systems have been around forever. Greedy scrubs have been around forever. It's amateur design and inexcusable to create loot systems that lack any shred of common sense or fairness given the history of this genre and of pieces of human trash on the internet.

(And for the record, no, I didn't just lose a roll to some greedy moron or something like that. I'm just sick of going into skirmishes and seeing the potential good of the whole thing shot by greedy behavior and stuff like that.)

F2P ensure that you will have far worse player behavior than the normally crappy MMO player behavior because without any financial investment in a game, players have even less reason than ever to give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about other players or any potential punishments for crappy behavior. What're you gonna do, ban them from a free game? Oh, that hurts a lot.

So the only sensible thing is to make good design decisions so minimize sleazy behavior by players.
Post edited by voqar on

Comments

• ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Guild runs.
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    ceniebaby wrote: »
    Guild runs.

+1 Internets.
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A 1 in 5 chance is hard to understand?
  • sixvoltsixvolt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voqar wrote: »
    Many players are already scumbags and don't need much encouragement to be greedy pieces of human trash, so why not design fair systems instead of systems that encourage greed and lead to more scumbag behavior?

Example 1. In some skirmishes there are chests. Like in Storming the Keep. Unlike chests inside quest instances or dungeon instances, these chests are single use - for the first person to open them only. They also often contain superior loot like blues. So what happens is it's a free for all to see which greedy piece of garbage can get to the chest first. Stuff in chests isn't rolled on.

Example 2. Why is there even an option to "need" on unidentified greens that any class can use? Those should be greed only. Hell, it's a waste of time to even be rolling on them, it should just be round robin default. Worst case, you only 2 choices should be roll or pass. Why even let greedy scumbags roll need on stuff they don't need? Utterly moronic design...unless you're a scumbag that likes to screw everyone else over for loot I guess.

Example 3. Why can people ever roll need on gear their class can't use? Ever? If you can't use it, you should only be able to roll greed. Period. This does open the door up for players of a class to roll need on stuff they don't actually need to be greedy themselves, but at least that is just 1-2 potential scumbags instead of everyone else in the group being scumbags and possibly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over someone who is actually in need.

1. If there is a blue in a chest in storming the keep, the fact that in less than an hour of doing quests the item is useless pretty much balances that aspect out. However, this "often" term you used is far from the truth unless it's specific to storming the keep.

2. I'd rather have an option to turn off greens showing. It's **** annoying to have to greed or pass on 347234729847923847298347293847 greens while I'm doing epic dungeons solely because they're a waste of space. If they drop they should just be randomly assigned to a player to loot with no rolling. The only greens I roll on are enchants.

3. Sure, but that's why you have guilds, and groups within a guild generally tend to treat their guildmembers with half an ounce more of respect than the rest of the playerbase, so that problem is instantly solved. Pugs are pugs, and have been home to ninjas and jerks for years.
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Encouraging Greed is the CORE of D&D.

You kill the bad guy. You loot the corpse. Move to the next bad guy.

Also search for secret doors or hidden treasure.

Appraise everything, since you never know when you'll find a mithral candelabra of smiting +2!

And then grab your party's halfling rogue by the ankles and shake all the loot he stole from you out of his pockets and packs.

"Greed is bad design" my left foot. It's almost 1/3rd of what makes D&D D&D!

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And the OP cannot hit the search option and post is butt hurt rant in one of them? System works fine, OP just doesn't relize that he can as well roll on an item, get over the "honor" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, sell the item he gets, and buy what he needs (as AD is tied to cash packages more so than skirmishes, then in fact it is intentional that AD is the means to economic exchange, cause I cannot buy a **** thing with the gold that drops cause AD doesn't drop from NPC). Its a game, loot drops like fruit from a tree, there are times I upgrade the same thing 3 times an hour...yeah, nothing to get butt hurt over with when dealing with the public at large. Try not running with PUGs, cause you are punishing yourself everytime you hit que and should expect the same behavior when in fact there is no legal document that says anyone needs to follow an unwritten rule.
  • sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry OP but i have to disagree with ya in this case,i'm pretty fine with the current system.
    Also one important thing,you mentioned Stroming the Keep well....that's exactly the worst example as possible.Why?
    Because after you killed the boss you can run back and loot those chests again (i don't know if it's WAI or just a bug) but i discovered after i had the same situation as you.If someone opens those chests, after -approximately- 2 minutes anyone can loot them again.Besides,what those chests drop is totally usless in the terms of Ah prices,even they are rare but you can buy them for like 50 AD or less which i don't have to mention basically nothing.
    About the rest of your points i don't have anything to say as i mentioned i'm fine with the current system,even it is fun.I know it sounds stupid but when you get ninja'd it is actually fun because it gives a game another flavor and yes bitter is a flavor too :P.After people stolen your loot for a few times isn't it just WAY more satisfying when you finally get them? :)
    That's all for now thx for listening.
  • ethicerethicer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are several ways to deal with scumbags.
    1: Don't be greedy yourself. This makes it less of a problem when someone else is.
    2: Join a good guild, and ignore random invites.
    3: Find games with better systems (Yeah, good luck with that).
    4: Don't team with strangers for the fun of it, when it's not really necessary.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sixvolt wrote: »
    1. If there is a blue in a chest in storming the keep, the fact that in less than an hour of doing quests the item is useless pretty much balances that aspect out. However, this "often" term you used is far from the truth unless it's specific to storming the keep.

Plenty of quest instances have single use chests too but I have no idea about the later skirmishes/dungeons since I've yet to play them. Either change them to multi-use or let everyone roll for the rares you get from them.
    steampunky wrote: »
    Encouraging Greed is the CORE of D&D.

And then grab your party's halfling rogue by the ankles and shake all the loot he stole from you out of his pockets and packs.

"Greed is bad design" my left foot. It's almost 1/3rd of what makes D&D D&D!

So is cutting off the hand of the thief. "Hi, I rolled a Kender because I love any excuse to be an ***."
  • zzzajeczzzajec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ethicer wrote: »
    There are several ways to deal with scumbags.
    1: Don't be greedy yourself. This makes it less of a problem when someone else is.
    2: Join a good guild, and ignore random invites.
    3: Find games with better systems (Yeah, good luck with that).
    4: Don't team with strangers for the fun of it, when it's not really necessary.

Ad.3 Tera is that game. If drop item only for specific class then is locked to that class. If orange item drop and noone can't use then u have only greed or pass.
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    So is cutting off the hand of the thief. "Hi, I rolled a Kender because I love any excuse to be an ***."

No comment... *goes to lay a single rose on the grave of Thipwhistle Nohands*

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.