test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lol What?

xxhumorxxxxhumorxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So... Joined an Epic Cloak Tower, and this has happened not once, but twice already, where a cleric thinks they're the "boss", when clearly you don't need a cleric whatsoever while running this dungeon....

Apparently, a Rogue's job is to DPS the "Add's"? Really? I'm not sure if most people know how this works or not... But maybe those of you who think a Rogues job is to DPS The add's, should watch other play like Kripparian, and so on, and this is coming from someone who honestly dislikes the guy for being idolized as a god of mmorpg's or something... But seriously, in what case scenario would anyone possible see that the main DPS who has over 3 million damage, with the second place being a GWF with 2 mill damage, as someone who is supposed to take care of the Add's? Honestly, I'm wondering how many people have actually played any mmorpg's... It's the tanks job to hold the agro, not a Rogues's. If you see the guy who did the majority of damage in your group, and try to tell him/her how to play their character... Something is definitely wrong there...

Just my thoughts anyways. Obviously if I'm the lead in dmg by 1 mill+, I've done my job as a Rogue...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yamface9yamface9 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always thought rogue was best single target dps, but if adds are really becoming a problem, you kind of need to drop whatever youre doing and help out.
  • boostersauceboostersauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Over 3 million...lol.

What other class's were in the group with you ( besides the cleric ). Sometimes you gotta deeps the adds bro just the way it is. Especially on fights like Chartilifax. Just because in other MMO's the rogues role is to just pew pew the boss doesn't mean it's the way it is here doesn't matter how much damage you do. That's all the more reason you should be nuking adds if that's what's required. The cleric might have a been a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but you sound like you just want to be lazy and tunnel the boss.
  • njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    xxhumorxx wrote: »
    So... Joined an Epic Cloak Tower, and this has happened not once, but twice already, where a cleric thinks they're the "boss", when clearly you don't need a cleric whatsoever while running this dungeon....

Apparently, a Rogue's job is to DPS the "Add's"? Really? I'm not sure if most people know how this works or not... But maybe those of you who think a Rogues job is to DPS The add's, should watch other play like Kripparian, and so on, and this is coming from someone who honestly dislikes the guy for being idolized as a god of mmorpg's or something... But seriously, in what case scenario would anyone possible see that the main DPS who has over 3 million damage, with the second place being a GWF with 2 mill damage, as someone who is supposed to take care of the Add's? Honestly, I'm wondering how many people have actually played any mmorpg's... It's the tanks job to hold the agro, not a Rogues's. If you see the guy who did the majority of damage in your group, and try to tell him/her how to play their character... Something is definitely wrong there...

Just my thoughts anyways. Obviously if I'm the lead in dmg by 1 mill+, I've done my job as a Rogue...

Yes Rogue is mainly supposed to be a single target DPS, but if things get hairy and your cleric is getting swarmed or if there are too many adds... Don't be an elitist. It's more important to finish the dungeon then to top meters. Jump on an a mob and start killing them. If yer GF is geared right and yer Cleric watches his divinity he should be able to heal the GF for those couple of seconds it takes you to wipe up some adds. Teamwork is the name of Neverwinter.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    It's the tanks job to hold the aggro but It's not effortless. Especially due to the heal threat.

If the adds go after the cleric the entire party needs to get them off so they can do their job.
    And the tank can't do that alone.

The game is meant to be a team effort in dungeons. If you don't keep each other alive bad things will happen. As a cleric myself I would rather have a GWF guarding me than a rogue but at the end of the day the tank alone can't protect me.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a new GF tank, I'm finding it almost impossible to peel adds off a cleric with ever threat cooldown I have plus 3 slotted Mark, no dice. Seems really broken to me.

I expect everyone to keep an eye on the cleric. If an add is hitting them, sure, the rogue should go take care of it real quick if he sees it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    As a new GF tank, I'm finding it almost impossible to peel adds off a cleric with ever threat cooldown I have plus 3 slotted Mark, no dice. Seems really broken to me.

I expect everyone to keep an eye on the cleric. If an add is hitting them, sure, the rogue should go take care of it real quick if he sees it.

He's too busy looking at himself in the mirror to bother.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a DPS, you should always focus on the adds and summoners in boss fights. once the adds and summoners are down, focus on the boss. If you only focus on the boss, the adds will eventually overwhelm your healer.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Working as intended imho. Clerics in NW can take quite a beating. They're wearing chain armor for a reason :)
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is everyone's job to make sure the adds die. I play a rogue myself and i never stand there hitting the boss while the cleric is taking hits from adds. Common sense really...
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • nohope82nohope82 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like everyone else has said if you're a dps and you're not getting the adds off the healer..you're a fail dps.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's the tanks job to hold the aggro but It's not effortless. Especially due to the heal threat.

it's too bad teh game isnt designed to accommodate this basic tenet of D&D gameplay.
  • hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nohope82 wrote: »
    Like everyone else has said if you're a dps and you're not getting the adds off the healer..you're a fail dps.

Exactly.

He acts as if the highest dps class getting top damage is something special. LOL man, these kids today, they play a year of MMO's and think they know their stuff.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes Rogue is mainly supposed to be a single target DPS, but if things get hairy and your cleric is getting swarmed or if there are too many adds... Don't be an elitist. It's more important to finish the dungeon then to top meters. Jump on an a mob and start killing them. If yer GF is geared right and yer Cleric watches his divinity he should be able to heal the GF for those couple of seconds it takes you to wipe up some adds. Teamwork is the name of Neverwinter.

Sounds like Kripparian doesn't know how to play the rogue, if he keeps doing single target dps all the time. Priority #1 Adds, #2 Boss. That's the way all the encounters are designed. If you let the adds be you will wipe, the cleric won't be able to keep up all the time and everyone except the tank, needs to focus on the adds first. If someone else does it the otherway, then that person is doing it wrong.
  • stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Here's where I benefit not only from being an older gamer, but an unapologetic alt-aholic. I play all the classes so I can legitimately say I've walked a mile in the other guy's shoes. I know how hard it is as a healer, especially in this game where targeting can often be an issue (I understand they're working on an alternative targeting system, and I for one can't wait!)

My main (right now, anyway) is a CW. I typically run in a tight group with a couple of buds of mine that have been gaming together now for nearly 15 years. One of them really wanted to be the cleric (a role I was originally going to fill), so I opted for a wizzie instead. Together with the other guy who's loving his GF, we have been doing fairly well for ourselves, even 3-manning on-level dungeons (non-elite, of course) together.

So anyway, cleric-boy freaks every time something even looks wrong at him, much less pounces on him. Yeah, he's a namby-pamby wuss-boy, but I've gotten used to it over the years. ;) So part of my "job description" when we're out and about is to keep the bad ol' monsters off him. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent healer, but he panics really easy when he gets swarmed. So when I'm meltin' face on the boss and he starts whining like a whipped puppy, I instinctively know that I have to drop what I'm doing and go "save" him...again. I honestly don't mind; heck, the way I'm specced right now, I can one- or two-shot whole herds of trash mobs, so it's a minor distraction most times.

So, the point is...happy cleric, happy party. If you need to take a brief break from perforating the boss to go rescue your healer (who in turn is keeping your tank in the original upright position), then be a sport and just do it.
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    Sounds like Kripparian doesn't know how to play the rogue, if he keeps doing single target dps all the time. Priority #1 Adds, #2 Boss. That's the way all the encounters are designed. If you let the adds be you will wipe, the cleric won't be able to keep up all the time and everyone except the tank, needs to focus on the adds first. If someone else does it the otherway, then that person is doing it wrong.

He doesn't play a rouge, he plays a CW.
  • hsinroghsinrog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nohope82 wrote: »

NW is different in the way many dungeon encounters are structured, than a lot of other MMOs. In most cases there isn't a 1 Boss, focus it down. Maybe off tank an add, etc. GF don't have the same level of threat control that most tanks in other games do. Also, due to the nature of healing in this game. If adds are on your healer, you want them off asap, so your healer doesn't get interrupted, knocked down, etc and miss a target heal.

Most boss encounters involve adds being summoned periodically. If you don't burn them down as dps, your healer is going to get overwhelmed eventually. Especially at the higher end dungeons.
  • tvalaltvalal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013

Nah he knows what he is doing, but its different from premade to pug grouping. premade might prefer rogue tunnel vision boss as long rest of the party manage to handle adds. Pugs you need to adjust, you should dps the boss as rogue but you also should not let your healer die. how you do this is up to each one.
  • boostersauceboostersauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's where I benefit not only from being an older gamer, but an unapologetic alt-aholic. I play all the classes so I can legitimately say I've walked a mile in the other guy's shoes. I know how hard it is as a healer, especially in this game where targeting can often be an issue (I understand they're working on an alternative targeting system, and I for one can't wait!)

My main (right now, anyway) is a CW. I typically run in a tight group with a couple of buds of mine that have been gaming together now for nearly 15 years. One of them really wanted to be the cleric (a role I was originally going to fill), so I opted for a wizzie instead. Together with the other guy who's loving his GF, we have been doing fairly well for ourselves, even 3-manning on-level dungeons (non-elite, of course) together.

So anyway, cleric-boy freaks every time something even looks wrong at him, much less pounces on him. Yeah, he's a namby-pamby wuss-boy, but I've gotten used to it over the years. ;) So part of my "job description" when we're out and about is to keep the bad ol' monsters off him. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent healer, but he panics really easy when he gets swarmed. So when I'm meltin' face on the boss and he starts whining like a whipped puppy, I instinctively know that I have to drop what I'm doing and go "save" him...again. I honestly don't mind; heck, the way I'm specced right now, I can one- or two-shot whole herds of trash mobs, so it's a minor distraction most times.

So, the point is...happy cleric, happy party. If you need to take a brief break from perforating the boss to go rescue your healer (who in turn is keeping your tank in the original upright position), then be a sport and just do it.

Best post on the forums. Kudos to you sir. I'd like to hear more about your adventures. Tell us tales of the 3 neverwintereers.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So basically, you arent a team player? Its easier to heal a tank than it is a Rogue. I play all 3 and well son, Rogues are better suited to be able to dispatch the adds faster and more efficiently. As a Rogue, I consider it pro to be ABLE to both smack on the boss and protect the healers. I dont think team play is part of your experience. Call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • nazacanazaca Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Your job is to ensure that your group smoothly and successfully completes the dungeon by any means necessary. Leave your ego at the door. If you are unable or unwilling to do this, don't waste other people's time showing off your (insignificant) e-peen. Thanks!

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's funny because the OP is just as wrong as the people he's complaining about. Then again you're talking about Cloak Tower and that's just faceroll easy.

Let's use spellplague as an example and look at how the fight goes and the rogues job.

First boss: GF pulls boss to the first spawning node where the cleric has set up an AS. CW pulls adds in and AoE nukes them with the GWF. The rogue doesn't touch the boss. The rogue nukes the spawning node. Then focuses the boss while the GF pulls the boss over to the next Spawning node where the cleric is waiting with an AS. Repeat process. Once all 3 spawning nodes are down, nuke the boss if he's not down yet. Then pull all the adds to the ledge and proceed to throw them off and/or kill them.

Second boss: Pull a patrol into a corner and nuke it, rogue nukes the big add. Trigger ONE berserker portal near your corner to give yourself room and the rogue nukes it. The boss will have aggroed by now and the GF should pick it up and tank it. Same as above, CW and GWF nuke adds while also getting the boss with AoE and cleric throws AS, heals, and tries not to die. Once the berserker is down the rogue focuses the boss down.

Final boss: Rogue nukes the boss. Everyone else rounds up adds, GFs are especially good at this but so are clerics, and throws them off the edge. Between phases obviously everyone nukes adds, including the rogue.

Notice that the last boss fight is the ONLY fight that the rogue ignores adds entirely. Also notice that only in the last boss fight does the GF really bother with adds.

Another fun fight is the last boss of Frozen Throne. Either the cleric or the GF plays mob train around the edge of the area while everyone focuses the boss BUT dps on the stops when archers spawn and they get nuked first, that includes the rogue.

Another reason you, the rogue, need to get used to dealing with adds is that almost every boss has permanent adds (respawn constantly if killed) and health % based adds that only appear once (usually 75% and 25%). You SHOULD be stopping DPS on the boss and killing the health % based adds on a lot of fights because otherwise your team gets overwhelmed and they could obviously use your '1337 DPS' to take them down.

I could go on and on about this but the point is that in very few boss fights should the rogue be 100% ignoring adds and in very few boss fights should the GF be worrying about adds. Adds are the responsibility of the Cleric, GWF and CW in most fights, but the GF and rogue should pitch in when it's needed.

Edit: Another fun fact, the best runs are the ones with the lowest numbers on all charts. It is more efficient to throw mobs off the edge than it is to kill them. Throwing them off the edge doesn't add to the DPS meters, so the lower your total Damage Dealt at the end the better, assuming everyone else is equally low in that run. Low damage taken, low deaths, and low healing are pretty obvious why lower is better.
  • stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So basically, you arent a team player? Its easier to heal a tank than it is a Rogue. I play all 3 and well son, Rogues are better suited to be able to dispatch the adds faster and more efficiently. As a Rogue, I consider it pro to be ABLE to both smack on the boss and protect the healers. I dont think team play is part of your experience. Call it how I see it.

You, sir, deserve 2 cookies for this! Couldn't have put it better myself. :cool:
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
    edited May 2013
    majtrollx wrote: »
    He doesn't play a rouge, he plays a CW.

Then he should focus on the adds anyway. And seeing that they do aoe dps, he should be on the adds before the rogue.
    edited May 2013
    tvalal wrote: »
    Nah he knows what he is doing, but its different from premade to pug grouping. premade might prefer rogue tunnel vision boss as long rest of the party manage to handle adds. Pugs you need to adjust, you should dps the boss as rogue but you also should not let your healer die. how you do this is up to each one.

Sure if you run premade it's easier, but you shouldn't neglect the adds, and in some fights you have to focus the adds, even with a premade.
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Then he should focus on the adds anyway. And seeing that they do aoe dps, he should be on the adds before the rogue.

He's more concerned about the stream adds.
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »
    He's more concerned about the stream adds.

lol good one :D
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    no not really you can squeeze on by this one without a cleric, but sure does make it go EXTREMELY fast with one. Now the ones we did last night definitely cleric, and lots of add rounding up with my Guardian,those Pirate Lord, Wolf Den EPIX :D . only done 4 epics, and finished them so far. Would really like to finish the 3 dragon instances but those fights are just so many damned adds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just started this game like 3-4 days ago, and all ready learned as a CW during boss fights to stand by the cleric and be ready to take on any mobs that run their way. I think it's fair to kill the mobs when they come first, and worry about your e-peen and how well you preform in damage against others later.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
    Panda@kristingrave - CW - Dragon
    Death@healxyou - DC - Dragon
  • njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    I just started this game like 3-4 days ago, and all ready learned as a CW during boss fights to stand by the cleric and be ready to take on any mobs that run their way. I think it's fair to kill the mobs when they come first, and worry about your e-peen and how well you preform in damage against others later.

As a Cleric; I love you for this.