test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Critical Over Power for Healing?

groborthirgroborthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
edited May 2013 in The Temple
Hello, fellow devoted clerics! I approach you with a question, maybe some of you would care to enlighten me.

Here's the thing, as far as I can gather, does not most of our healing come from Astral Shield? Its heal does not appear to crit (unless I've been astronomically unlucky after god knows how many hours of using it), so why are we supposed to stack critical over power with the prospect of dishing out as much healing as possible?

I can see three reasons for critical in terms of healing, and that's Astral Seal, Sun Burst and our feat that triggers small heals on critical hits. As for Astral Seal and Sun Burst, cool, crits are nice, but will those crits really outweigh better non-crits from stacking power, and will those crits in fact outheal Astral Shield? And as for the feat with the splash heals, are they really of much note? In most dungeon scenarios, outside of an occasional Flame Strike or some such, we aren't doing particularly ridiculously high crits, so eventhough we'd probably always pick the feat, wouldn't power over critical in the very end be a much better solution to take over critical?
"Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!"
Post edited by groborthir on

Comments

• Options
    sauciflard1sauciflard1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No one have an idea?
  • Options
    marzattakzmarzattakz Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    I've been asking the same question but have always generally preferred crit over base power in most games I've played. Granted I'm only level 40 so most of my healing comes from (d)FF but seeing that crit is quite satisfying, same thing with HW when I do slot it.

I'm certain things change at cap and once I have access to Astral Shield and feated Hallowed Ground but until then I'm trying to maintain a minimum 20% crit chance as a rule of thumb.
  • Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you spec into Rage in the bottom paragon tree each crit generates more divine power. Also Repurpose Soul gives back 15% heals on crits. In my build that allows me to gain crits from Astral Seal, BotS, Daunting Light, Sun Burst and Firestrike. Hallowed Ground and Astral Shield don't crit. For overkill healing i can replace Daunting Light with Forgemasters and that does crit.

All those bonuses from crit plus the big damage/heal number from the actual crits outweigh the higher sustained damage/heal generated from higher power IMO. But in the end its all about what you feel more comfortable with and your playstyle. There isn't any right or wrong.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    misterfrenchiemisterfrenchie Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    other heals do crit, like healing word and bastion of health
    Want to join a great gaming community? Check us out at www.grievanceguild.com
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Power affects your DPS abilities. As for heals, the power and crits (as far as I understand) mostly affect AOE powers like sunburst and (ugh I forget the exact name of it right now)...something-light (set the yellow target and the light zaps everything in target zone) and also any AOE Dailies like Hallowed Ground - and even the Angel daily, too.

I could be mistaken (I'm not a min-maxer, so couldn't care less about the details of this stuff) - but it's my impression based on what I'm seeing.
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Pretty much what Qutti said. I'm playing a crit cleric because I love it :)
  • Options
    streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can someone with "high" Critical Strike rating post their rating and their "Contributes to: Critical Chance" percentage?
    I only have 2200 and would be looking for one of 3000 or higher?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    don't go over 3k rating in any stat but power

they all have dr except power

the reason why we don't stack power has a lot to do with a feat and the fact that we don't really seem to get as much from it as other classes.

i mean guardian fighters double their power if they have full guard meter with envy's build. 9k power anyone? gwf get a power buff too that's not insignificant.

i have 35% crit at 3500 crit rating because i stupidly rolled a low strength starting stat (13 i think it was, or 12). +crit from feats and ability scores does not count towards the DR. i could have 39% not grouped. i do have about 45% crit when in a group doing a dungeon though.
  • Options
    streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm aware of the diminishing returns, but I want the rating : percent ratio at a position on the Critical Strike rating DR curve that is more favourable to Power.

If you have 3500 Critical Strike rating, please share the exact Critical Strike rating and the and the "Contributes to: Critical Chance" percentage.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm aware of the diminishing returns, but I want the rating : percent ratio at a position on the Critical Strike rating DR curve that is more favourable to Power.

If you have 3500 Critical Strike rating, please share the exact Critical Strike rating and the and the "Contributes to: Critical Chance" percentage.

is your game broken? your character sheet not working?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    is your game broken? your character sheet not working?

As stated in the original post, to which you responded, I don't have 3000 or more Critical Strike rating, and am interested in the information.
  • Options
    redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Trying to make a GWF rolling crit stats lol. Dex/Str 18/16 maybe.
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Repurpose Soul also works when certain heals crit, it's not just on damage.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    redeclipze wrote: »
    Trying to make a GWF rolling crit stats lol. Dex/Str 18/16 maybe.

roll an orc. 18/18 str/crit
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    As stated in the original post, to which you responded, I don't have 3000 or more Critical Strike rating, and am interested in the information.

3522 crit rating - 18.4% crit
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    3522 crit rating - 18.4% crit

Thank you.
  • Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Repurpose Soul also works when certain heals crit, it's not just on damage.

there's this and HoT/DoTs work differently in this game than other MMOs/games.

if the initial tick/hit of the HoT/DoT crits, every tick thereafter will crit as well.
  • Options
    icecreamcarticecreamcart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To OP:

In the current state of the game, it's all about astral shield and hallowed ground. These cannot crit so I don't really see the point of stacking crit.

My setup for epic dungeon boss is:

At will: Sacred flames and brand of the sun. (sacred flames indirect bonus to healing with feat and brand of the sun for easy divinity)
    Encounter: AS, Sun Burst and Chains. (AS is OP so the other two skills are for keeping me allive/mob control. If I die, party dies)
    Daily: HG and Flame Strike. (HG is obvious, flame strike is for some scenarios were I get knocked out of AS and get zerged by adds)

It is my personal believe that these powers are the best for dungeon boss fights atm. These powers are buff/control and crit won't increase their usefulness. Imho you are better of with high cha/wis. Cha for recovery and action points, wis for bonus to healing and bonus to control/control resist.

Pvp might be a different scenario, I think it's fun but in it's current state I don't take it serious.. I only play it for daily astral. I think there might be more room for critting. Astral Seal and Healing Word start to become much more usefull. Forge Masters flame is a bit hard in pvp since there's a lot of running/dieing.

Maybe someone else has more experience with it and can shed some light on that.

My 2 cents~
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only skills I use that can't crit are AS and HG. Everything else can crit, and therefore heal for more (because of the crit and because of Reporpose Soul), and give me more Divine Power.

I've never said crit was THE best. It's just the best in my eyes.
  • Options
    icecreamcarticecreamcart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More healing is not necessarily purposefull healing. Imho end-game our own survival is key, without cleric the party will die. Many healing skill are not that helpfull for us when we have (multiple) agro. IF we have multiple agro and compare dmg taken vs dmg healed, it makes much more sense to reduce the dmg, not get more healing. If I would blast 10 enemies away with sun burst or lock half of them into places, it would grant me much more survivability then healing word or forge masters flame.

Imho recovery>defense>power. Cha>Wis>Int. Once again, I believe the more survivability the better. Imho AS/control.

Sure I have seen people heal "more" at the end of the dungeon then me, how useful those heals were is another question. Healing people who don't need healing doesn't really bring value to the party.

(Edit: Also don't forget that Invigorated healing feat works for AS and Sun burst. Making AS/Sun burst an even stronger choice, once again crit wouldn't add anything there)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't run with people that can't take care of the cleric, so I've actually never ran into a problem where I have to CC instead of heal. I use Sunburst regardless, for the AP gain, but yes, it IS fun to knock mobs off of cliffs.

edit: Invigorated Healing is a moot point, stacking power doesn't add to it either, nor HG. AS would be a little stronger stacking power over crit, but all the rest of your spells win out with crit, IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Power rating:
    • Has no diminishing returns on Power rating to Damage/Healing conversion
    • Has a very poor Power rating to Damage/Healing conversion rate
    • Has diminishing returns on a Power rating to percentage actual damage/healing increase

Critical Strike rating:
    • Has diminishing returns on Critical Strike rating to Critical Strike percentage conversion
    • Has a very favourable Critical Strike rating to Critical Strike percentage
    • Astral Shield's Regenerate, Moon Touched, and Invigorated Healing cannot Critical Strike.

On Divine Glow (damaging spell that can Critical Strike), Critical Strike rating remains ahead of Power in actual percentage damage increase even at 3500 Critical Strike rating (thanks to dixa1).

I do need to test the improvement for healing spells (will use Astral Seal, since it's the most relevant), but that's for another time.
  • Options
    giantdoggiantdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run 5k recovery with 3k crit. I have 1/5 into rising hope. Then I go 4/5 ethereal boon. I use astral shield, sunburst and depending if I'm kiting all fight (healing word) or just standing in astral shield I'll use a damage power like daunting light. At the moment sunburst seams to double dip into healing and damage done so pretty much I can keep moontouched HG up 24/7 without ever letting it fade. So at all times my group is standing in AS/HG.
  • Options
    redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To OP:

In the current state of the game, it's all about astral shield and hallowed ground. These cannot crit so I don't really see the point of stacking crit.

My setup for epic dungeon boss is:

At will: Sacred flames and brand of the sun. (sacred flames indirect bonus to healing with feat and brand of the sun for easy divinity)
    Encounter: AS, Sun Burst and Chains. (AS is OP so the other two skills are for keeping me allive/mob control. If I die, party dies)
    Daily: HG and Flame Strike. (HG is obvious, flame strike is for some scenarios were I get knocked out of AS and get zerged by adds)

It is my personal believe that these powers are the best for dungeon boss fights atm. These powers are buff/control and crit won't increase their usefulness. Imho you are better of with high cha/wis. Cha for recovery and action points, wis for bonus to healing and bonus to control/control resist.

Pvp might be a different scenario, I think it's fun but in it's current state I don't take it serious.. I only play it for daily astral. I think there might be more room for critting. Astral Seal and Healing Word start to become much more usefull. Forge Masters flame is a bit hard in pvp since there's a lot of running/dieing.

Maybe someone else has more experience with it and can shed some light on that.

My 2 cents~

Wouldn't a Str Cleric be better for stamina regeneration for getting more dodges in in both high end PVE and PVP....?

I never played a Cha/Wis build so I have no idea how much faster and helpful that extra 14% stamina regeneration really is.

If it's not worth it for the stamina regen then str build may be worthless?
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze