test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shield

yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Library
The class forums are back, very nice!

Does anyone know how much damage shield absorbs? I have tried looking in my log but can't pin down any figures. Sometimes it says something like "shield absorbs 5 damage of xx skill" but that seems to be very low and perhaps is when the shield is depleted?
Post edited by yasha00 on

Comments

• bacchirabacchira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as my testing has gone, this does not seem to be the standard absorb shield found in most games.

It seems to only reduce the damage on the first hit you take by some percentage, until you manage to avoid getting hit for 6 seconds, at which time it again reduces damage by a percentage.

I tested this by walking into a fire that hit me for 52 damage. With shield on I was hit for 26 damage on the first tick, then 52 again.

Don't think I had 3 points in the shield ability when I tested this so the actual damage percentage may vary, but in my case it was 50%

In other words, the shield blows when you are getting hit fast by small attacks, but it rocks when you are hit by one huge attack from a stealthed rogue.

This is what I have gotten out of it anyway.
  • clacksonclackson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup. Tab slotted it'll reduce something like 75% of the first hit.

This isn't all that hot early on, but later when you can easily get hit in the face for a quarter to half of your total hit points, it can be worth toting around.
  • lexanthropylexanthropy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually doubting the usefulness of shield, I see a lot of CW's use it but when I tried it for myself (just 1 rank though), I didn't notice any reduction in damage I take. The only thing I found useful for it was the push back it gives, but repel does a much better job. Does the dmg. reduction get more noticeable as you upgrade it?
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The damage I'm taking definitely goes down when I have shield up. My health doesn't drop nearly as fast. It cycles and is only good once per cycle to block damage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spodeanspodean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dont forget there are 2 benefits of the shield, the damage reduction AND the repel ability.

Offensively used its actually a good AOE attack on the lesser mobs, the lesser mobs most of the time seem to die immediately if not they are close to death. Imps for instance I would teleport in the center and hit it and they all die.

I blast it often in larger longer battles as well, and recast it when I can, usually after I chill strike or entangle.

The shield is not just for defense, its a powerful AOE damage and repel.

Edit: Forgot to say that i have it on my mastery(tab) slot.
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I keep it on my third slot, not spell mastery. When in dungeons I stay within TP range of the cleric for emergency AoE KB. Very handy. And if I happen to be out of stamina when a red circle pops the reduction of damage is significant enough to make it something I keep on at all times.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    doublepost
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • hylan1983hylan1983 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so far i love it. i took that crit move from a TR rogue as an opener from stealth (guaranteed crit) usually hits for 2.9-3.4k at my level took <5% my HP then i force choked him and made him wish he never saw me. so if you see your enemy team is low on burst classes maybe swap in something else?
  • violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shield is really useful at preventing 1 shot kills. It doesn't provide any constant protection, it just reduces the damage on the first hit you take. If you take no damage for 6 seconds after that, the shield regenerates. It's a staple for me in pvp.

I also occasionally use it in pve, particularly on the Throne of Idris final boss room, because shield push doesn't suffer from the AOE cap that most of our other AOE spells have.
  • ijw473ijw473 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Toilet bowl orb + blow shield before the suck = mad damage your party doesn't rage over.

PvP it's an always on.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ijw473 wrote: »
    Toilet bowl orb + blow shield before the suck = mad damage your party doesn't rage over.

PvP it's an always on.
    What is it you are trying to convey here?
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • ijw473ijw473 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gomok72 wrote: »
    What is it you are trying to convey here?

Sorry, I was reading the forums on my phone while drinking.

Arcane singularity, while you are sucking them in (toilet bowl orb) you hit them with shield pulse about a second before they go in. Typically you can hit a ton of guys, but they will get sucked back into one spot. With a nice AP build I can get half to full back, depending on how many there are when I trigger it, does a ton of damage, and no one is angry.

And I always have it on for PvP - always. The number of times it saves my life...