test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This game is going to be super hard once they fix these things:

morphonamorphona Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
1) Skipping mobs. Some dungeons you can skip considerable amounts of trash, some of it really hard trash this might be intended for good game play but it leads to:
2) Campfire skipping, If you run ahead and get far enough before you die, you can just spawn at the next campfire, skipping all trash between them for the low low cost of one injury pack.
3) Lack of Boss Tethering! If you have trouble with a boss (except the last boss that is) just pull him 2 or 3 rooms back and fight him there, all those pesky adds he spawns won't be an issue and you can just burn him down! Imagine how hard some fights will be if you have to actually fight them!
4) Broken Enchanting Mechanics! Have you seen some of the absolutely crazy numbers you can get from enchanting? granted the greater enchants cost about $200 a piece but holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I'm sad that more time wasn't taken to consider the balance of this game. I was very happy with all the amazing content they were able to create, but for crying out loud you really should have hired someone to go over balance issues. heck just the fact that rogues have 2 weapons and there fore 2 weapon enchant slots is an oversight you should not have made. same goes for $200 enchants and other game breaking issues. it's almost like your dev team has not played an MMO in the last 5 years. many of these problems have been encountered and solved in various clever ways.
Post edited by morphona on

Comments

• Options
    hardc0reyhardc0rey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't abuse any of these mechanics and the game isn't "super hard"
    Hardcorey
    Dorks with Tranquilizers
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morphona wrote: »
    1) Skipping mobs. Some dungeons you can skip considerable amounts of trash, some of it really hard trash this might be intended for good game play but it leads to:

1) may be intentional. In a few quests they have set up alternative routes that let you bypass some hard encounters (and so some XP), so I doubt they will see players using their skills to avoid combat as necessarily a bad thing, as there is an automatic XP cost to doing this.
    2) Campfire skipping, If you run ahead and get far enough before you die, you can just spawn at the next campfire, skipping all trash between them for the low low cost of one injury pack.

2) I don't mind either way. The put save points in quests for a reason so unless they want you to have to finish each quest without any in-quest save-points it doesn't seem too misplaced. Currently it give players a choice - play safe and kill all the mobs (and get XP) or try to get to the next camp-fire before you get slaughtered. Can be fun ^^.
    3) Lack of Boss Tethering! If you have trouble with a boss (except the last boss that is) just pull him 2 or 3 rooms back and fight him there, all those pesky adds he spawns won't be an issue and you can just burn him down! Imagine how hard some fights will be if you have to actually fight them!

3 shouldn't happen I agree. Or at least let the boss spawn adds wherever they end up.
    4) Broken Enchanting Mechanics! Have you seen some of the absolutely crazy numbers you can get from enchanting? granted the greater enchants cost about $200 a piece but holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>..

4. is how PWE gets lots of money from those that like to P2W to show how much better they are at a game. This seems like a serious level of cognitive dissonance issues to me, but as it makes PWE (a lot of) money don't expect it to ever change.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    4. is how PWE gets lots of money from those that like to P2W to show how much better they are at a game. This seems like a serious level of cognitive dissonance issues to me, but as it makes PWE (a lot of) money don't expect it to ever change.

Eh, you can pay cash or gold to get carried in any raid in WoW that hasn't just been released for the gear. I forget how much they charge, but i've seen it done and freely advertised. Don't see the point in either game, as where do you go from there? Plus, next expansion or new gear level, and that is worthless.

Now if only when you disconnect you could be at the last campfire you unlocked. Got DCed during a Cloak Tower run (during a boss fight no less, ugh) and had to run the whole way back. You don't notice how long some of those are until you have to run back through an empty dungeon while everyone else waits on you. :\
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never do the die-near-later-campfire trick, as I hate dying on principle. I HAVE bypassed some "trash" foes before but only the Magma guys that are SO annoying for melee to fight (they drop flame pits everywhere and love to stand in PBAOE damage fields).

I will admit to pulling the boss from his room in exactly two cases, and in both cases I'd do the same again because solo in green-quality gear, I nearly ran out of potions trying to keep ahead of the boss's AoE and PBAOE spam and adds and such. If I had had a Companion that managed to survive more than 3.4 seconds I might have been able to do such fights "properly" but I'm just glad I was able to do them at ALL. I don't care that I was 'cheated' of the experience of the fight --- I completed the story and moved on and NEVER plan to go back. Frustration and annoyance in fights does not equal fun to me.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exploiters are going to exploit. Fix these and people will find something else... there is always something. They need to be fixed (except skipping mobs, its dumb to have a door that is locked until every last mob is dead).

I am not sure 4 is broken so much as there is a problem with lack of content suitable for high end geared players (that is a 12-20 or so person raid boss). The top end gear, enchanted or not, is way OP for most content.
  • Options
    shroommageshroommage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really consider the first two to be exploits. I'd vote to make skipping harder, but currently if you skip you get less rewards. Unfortunately, because of the way events work, this may be desirable for players.

The third one is definitely a problem. If you're pulling a boss to a place where adds won't spawn, you're exploiting. It's similar to the GW2 exploits where you could shoot certain bosses from ledges where they could never reach you.

The fourth one is a problem but is sadly working as intended.