test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A suggestion to make endgame crafting better.

thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Alright, this is a crafting suggestion to change or at least get crafting to be more useful then what it currently is at endgame. A little bit about me I have worked in the MMO industry in the past, as cs and some game design and some QA. So I may or may not know what I am talking about as said MMO's are not really doing to well atm. A brief little disclaimer, i am sure there will be many grammar and spelling errors in this post. As I am a bit of an idiot at times, and type to fast and have an awful habit of not proof reading anything so. I am here to discuss the crafting system not how i miss used the words there they're and their.

Currently crafting in neverwinter is simply get to rank 20, craft shirts and pants. Then maybe outfit your friends in gear as they level. And leadership, which is meh at best (IMO i have not maxed it out yet but well see it might prove a useful source of diamonds.)

The issue is that, even the very rare "purple/epic" items you can craft (I will be using Guardian fighter, and Platesmithing as a reference point from here on out, so sub in what ever craft you want if it does not make sense to you.) are very sub par compared to T1 drops, dungeon vendor (uni seals), and pvp glory rewards. I have yet to find any good reason to craft any of the purple aside from the pants and shirt. The other items may be good as starter gear, but the time it takes to craft one piece you can have that in pvp or running a low end t1 dungeon.

Crafting should serve to offer players maybe a little more customization in there gear building. So what I purpose is you offer something different and a bit more unique but well within the games design to allow players this.

1) Remove all the secondary stats from purple armor. Aside from Defense or power, as almost everyone wants one or the other stats, even some want both ie guardians.
2) Add -or- replace the current enchantment slots with a special crafting slot. Call this whatever you like, but for the sake of this suggestion call it "augment" slot. Only place this special slot on crafted gear (this can be made for purple / blue items or whatever.
3) Add a new profession or add to the current professions the ability to make these special augments.

These augments at end game will offer substantial points in what ever special stats you want to fill. And can be combined to add 2-3 stats to a single item (I know rune system can already do this as the founders special rune/enchant has 3 stats on it). These special augments will give the same overall stat points as the current tier of dungeond rops however they will offer the player a choice in what stats they use at the cost of getting a dungeon set bonus.

ie. You can craft an augment with either 300 power, or 100 power, crit, and recovery. Or 150 of two ect ect.

To make these special augments I personally would suggest you add a 10-30% chance drop from e bosses of current epic dungeons (maybe 100% off the final boss or during delv/profession bonus time. A special tradeskill mat that can craft one of them. This will overall slow down the amount of these in game, as well as give players a reason to run dungeons.

If adding a new profession maybe call this a rune smith or enchanter. And allow them the ability to craft runes/enchants instead of the very silly and frustrating system in place currently. (I was combining an enchant from 5-6 at 40% chance and failed 20 in a row.. seriously 20.) As I am pretty sure very few players are currently enjoying this rune system. (maybe add a special bag that only holds runes/enchants with much bigger space for AD/ZEN. I know if There was say a 40 slot bag that only could hold runes/enchants i would be ALL over getting it.)

I mean or just simply buff crafted purples to be a bit better then say the unicorn vendor items.
Post edited by thewobey on

Comments

• cabgoldcabgold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with this thread. Given that you can quickly get better gear from dungeons and PVP crafting needs something. Until then, Leadership is the only one worth leveling, and barely worth it at that.
  • thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah thats my issue.. crafting short of pants / shirt is just garbage.
  • ianwagnerianwagner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bumpage.

I was shocked today when I compared lvl 20 purple crafted plate armor vs what is on the AH. You can currently buy an entire set of Indomitable armor for less than the cost of ONE Dragon Egg. So crafted armor costs over four times as much as BoE dungeon armor, and there is no guarantee even with all your crafting assets being purple you will even get crafted armor with an augment slot.

Endgame crafted armor needs some love, or its not worth trying to get to lvl 20 in a profession. Either revamp its stats as suggested by the OP, or give it stats, and set bonuses, on par with tier TWO armor, as that is how much effort/cost goes into being able to craft it.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is ONE thing that would easily fix crafting without altering stats.
    ALTERNATIVE SKINS with good looks.
  • ianwagnerianwagner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I plan on buying a set of Indomitable, and reskinning it with my current crafted +5 armor.. which will probably cost more than buying the Indomitable.