test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for honest opinion

lyko84lyko84 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of the Dungeon and Dragons. Let's say I love Drow's. I was really looking forward to playing Neverwinter.
I tested it for an hour or so, first impression was... good.

Let me ask you a few question;

1. Is there anything that can only be purchased through the Zen store that would give someone an advantage that can't be obtained in game? I don't mind the store if it's only for cosmetic looks etc. But if I can't get more inventory bags or keys to open locks without buying them...That would be a deal breaker for me.
2. When will Drows be available? I think I've read that they can be "purchased" so you don't have to wait until they are released for all players?
3. What's up with tanking in this game? I use to be a tank and I love it. But it looks like there is no such role like a "tank" in Neverwinter?
4. I admit, I love collecting mounts, is there a list of available in-game mounts?

thanks!
Post edited by lyko84 on

Comments

• Options
    drayven27drayven27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. You get a couple bags from quests but beyond that you have to buy them with Zen, I believe it's 1,000z for a 24 slotter
    2. I believe I heard 4 weeks after launch or so?
    3. Guardian Fighter is supposed to be a tank
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyko84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of the Dungeon and Dragons. Let's say I love Drow's. I was really looking forward to playing Neverwinter.
    I tested it for an hour or so, first impression was... good.

Let me ask you a few question;

1. Is there anything that can only be purchased through the Zen store that would give someone an advantage that can't be obtained in game? I don't mind the store if it's only for cosmetic looks etc. But if I can't get more inventory bags or keys to open locks without buying them...That would be a deal breaker for me.
    2. When will Drows be available? I think I've read that they can be "purchased" so you don't have to wait until they are released for all players?
    3. What's up with tanking in this game? I use to be a tank and I love it. But it looks like there is no such role like a "tank" in Neverwinter?
    4. I admit, I love collecting mounts, is there a list of available in-game mounts?

thanks!

1. Not directly. You can convert Zen to AD and that is where the "pay to win" argument comes into play. ALL items (epic included) are BoE (Bind on Equip) so anyone can pickup gear and sell for AD. This also means that you can convert AD to Zen in the market.

2. "suppose" to be 60 days after founders closes BUT it will be "different" looking Drow compare to Founder's pack (so I'm told/read)

3. Aggro is a problem right now. Healers can generate a ton of aggro so not sure what is going on at this time.

4. I don't have it, but the Wiki might contain that info.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Kinda.....its basically you can buy, and for ALOT of money, some stuff that would amplify your game alot, but its expensive and it doesn nothing more than expediate the pace at which you would get it in game normally. Bascially, you can buy anything in the cash shop eventually by trading AD(astral diamons) for zen and buying it, it would just tae you forever....like forever forever.

2. No ETA that I know of on Drows. If you want, you could buy them early access for $200. And the bought ones are actually special compared to the standard ones base players will get later on.

3. Guardian is the go to tank, but tanking is much different than the standard mmo practice of 'stand here, pull boss aggro, take damage and wait for healer' kind of gameplay. Bosses spawn tons of minions monsters constantly, so aggro constantly has to be pulled off cleric in order for them to survive and not wipe. Earliest bosses are solo, but after level 20, bosses summon extrras that will quickly kill everything and then overwhelm the tank.

4. No idea, I'm sure there is, but I havent looked for it. Prolly in the wiki somewhere.
  • Options
    kaelspriestkaelspriest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1: Bags and respecs and I guess Nightmare Lockbox keys, although I'm not sure those qualify as an advantage. While it is technically possible to use Astral Diamonds to buy Zen to pay for these things, it would take a really long time to do so.

2: Not sure when they'll be available to everyone, but they're currently only available to people who bought the $200 Founder's pack.

3: The Guardian Weapon Fighter is a tank.

4: Can't help you. Most mounts are through the Zen store, though.
  • Options
    unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you play PvE only you'll have a perfect and nicely made game here.

If you play PvP it's definately P2W for the first couple of months untill you grind 3-4 mill AD to get Enchantments and epic mount.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You can buy all fluff and some convenience things in store. You can also convert zen to AD and buy stuff on the AH, but it's the same with any mmo, you can always buy gold from farmers in those too. Bags are often put up on the AH, but can be bought in store too, plus two quests give you decent bags. Most things you will pick up are vendor trash anyway, so you don't really need as much as you think.

Around two months from now, for free for everyone.

Not a tank, but i hear there are aggro issues currently. I know as a control wizard i get aggro a LOT, and have a hard time shaking it.

A list? The Wiki would be a good bet, but it is also updated by players, so it may not always be up to date.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Mount

If you are good at getting AD with either quests or AH, spme people will be putting non-bind on pickup ones up eventually.
  • Options
    nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    1. Some useful things are available only through the Zen store but people put them for sale at the Auction House too. If you are extremely patient, you can collect astral diamonds, change them for zen through an automated system and buy things from the Zen store. You can get more character slots or inventory bags that way.

2. Drow should become available 60 days from the beginning of open beta test. Right now only people who buy Hero of the North pack for $200 get early access to "qu'ellaril ilythiiri". (If you are a huge fan of Dungeons & Dragons and love Underdark and drow, Neverwinter isn't the best MMO for role-playing a drow anyway, and neither is DDO. ;))

3. Guardian fighters are supposed to be tanks in Neverwinter.

4. There are quite a lot of mounts in the game and at least a few of them are not horses. I don't know the exact number but it is close to 10 or even more if you count different types and breeds of horses.
  • Options
    vilocviloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    1. Only advantage would be convenience of extra bag space or a faster mount, you can also play the exchange and trade diamonds for zen and vice-versa.

2. Drow is available to everyone 60 days after open beta starts so a few weeks from now, you could also get it from the hero of neverwinter founder pack.

3. Guardian Fighter is the tank and the Greatweapon fighter is a sort of off tank

4.You can pretty much see all the mounts available in the zen store, then there's the lockbox mount and the tarmalune trade bars mounts. Theres a neverwinter wiki somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if they had a mount list.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GO BACK TO WOW!!!

...oh wait...wrong thread.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

As you can earn Astral Diamonds and convert them to ZEN, then technically everything can be had by a free player.

Consider though that a bag costs 1000 ZEN, and that is currently about 400K AD and unless you can effectively farm the highest level dungeons you are stuck with doing dailies which might take you 2-3 hours and get you 24K AD (the daily limit) at most. So possible, yes, but very long winded.

Drow are exclusive to people who bought the Hero of the North Founders package for AT LEAST 60 days. As that is still on offer, it is going to be at least 2 months, and probably more like 3 at the earliest before Drow are available to the general public.

Guardian Fighters (GF) are the designated Tank class, but aggro mechanics are currently broken and this together with the fact that Cleric's have a self-healing debuff mean that many higher tier dungeons are actually easier to run with 2 Devoted Clerics than a Guardian Fighter and a Devoted Cleric.
  • Options
    back2workback2work Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    basics such as bag space, respects, bank space.. youll pay out the nose for in the store. yes you can get them through in game currencies but do the math...
    average exchange rate for AD / zen is 380 / 1 ... grinding casually for 10 days youll be lucky to get 40,000 AD's .. meaning you can get aprox 105 zen. somthing as simple as 1 bag would take you aprox 90-100 days to get. or buy it off aution house for ad's with loot you sell for needing on EVERYTHING you might get lucky adn cut that in half...... for one measly bag....
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You get two bags from questing by level 20 or so. That plus some slots in the bank for free. After that, well, simply stop carrying so much stuff around. If you *really* want to be carrying 100 different stacks of stuff then pony up the ten bucks. It offsets the time you would otherwise spending trying to decide what to keep and what to throw away.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all the input.
    I'm a PVE player and just wouldn't like to play a game that offers P2W.
    $10 for a bag isn't that much. I was a bit scared by all the negative posts about how expensive the store is. But if it's only the mounts that are expensive... I can live with that.
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drayven27 wrote: »
    1. You get a couple bags from quests but beyond that you have to buy them with Zen, I believe it's 1,000z for a 24 slotter
    2. I believe I heard 4 weeks after launch or so?
    3. Guardian Fighter is supposed to be a tank

Yep, 10$ for a bag, gotta love the cash grab. And dont listen to the people telling you its ok because converting AD to ZEN is a painstaking process and it will take A LONG TIME. Im sure everyone wants to grind AD's for a week straight for ONE BAG...

But in most other games, including WoW, bags are a dime a dozen, they are crafted, they drop, they are everywhere. In STO, you inventory space grows and you level. Sure, you can buy more slots, but what you get as a free players is plenty, not to mention how many bank slots you get for free there as well.

The prices for everything in the cash shop are way to high atm, just wait for them to be adjusted OP.
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Yep, 10$ for a bag, gotta love the cash grab. And dont listen to the people telling you its ok because converting AD to ZEN is a painstaking process and it will take A LONG TIME. Im sure everyone wants to grind AD's for a week straight for ONE BAG...

But in most other games, including WoW, bags are a dime a dozen, they are crafted, they drop, they are everywhere. In STO, you inventory space grows and you level. Sure, you can buy more slots, but what you get as a free players is plenty, not to mention how many bank slots you get for free there as well.

The prices for everything in the cash shop are way to high atm, just wait for them to be adjusted OP.

$10 isn't much to me in comparison to what it would take to grind it. But why bags can't be crafted is another money making thing.
    I'm not a business man, so I don't understand why everyone is trying to get away from the monthly sub fee's. I personally prefer monthly sub fee's.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all the input.
    I'm a PVE player and just wouldn't like to play a game that offers P2W.
    $10 for a bag isn't that much. I was a bit scared by all the negative posts about how expensive the store is. But if it's only the mounts that are expensive... I can live with that.

I thought "P2W" was a PVP thing, how does it affect PVE? Or would affect? There isn't really anything to 'win' in PVE
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    I thought "P2W" was a PVP thing, how does it affect PVE? Or would affect? There isn't really anything to 'win' in PVE
    One could argue about that. But this game isn't intended to be PVP based, so why all the whining threads anyways?