test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flipping... What... "The Hellthorn Traitor"

hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Playing my 58 CW, I've soloed everything bar skirmishes and dungeons up to this point, in spite of derpkitty being my "best" companion. I've focussed my gear on power, but it's probably a horrible idea :P

So, I get a quest - "The Hellthorn Traitor" - thinking "Okay, this'll be easy. Just another one of those side-story quests". Everything's smooth right up until Commander Thangardt, where everything goes wrong.

He hits for ~9k about every 3 seconds. He's vulnerable to stuns, but even so, I can't get him down to even 50%. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
Post edited by hipolipolopigus on

Comments

• jero500jero500 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just hit the same barrier. Even as a gwf with plenty of stuns this guy just rips me a new one every time I try...
  • wnxcookiemonstewnxcookiemonste Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here.
  • fattyguyriley33fattyguyriley33 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you can get him a bit under half his mount dies. stopping the big hits.
  • morphonamorphona Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Trick is to change your abilities, hes CCable, so use steal time force chock and freeze ray. basically anything that will disable him, that combined with dodge should keep you alive, he cant reach you unless he jumps and if he does just dodge, shouldn't be too hard, just run around until a CD is up if needed. just remember the channel time on steal time.
  • pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea he is CCable. You want to use Chill Strike Choke Steal Time and RoE to weaken him and keep the DoT goin while you're dodging.

Also freeze him after chill striek and dont hit him when he is frozen. Let him sit there frozen while your cool downs tick down.

Took me about 5 tries solo before I could finally get him down. Once I did this set up it was actually super easy. Just time your dodges for his mounted charge attack. And when he is finally off the mount he likes to spam a mid range attack that hits pretty hard. So Chain CC him and end with freeze to wait for your cooldowns. Rinse Repeat and win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • mandingobuckmandingobuck Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the advice. Swapped out a few attacks for more reflect DMG & recovery on my 56 Guardian Fighter & got him second time.
  • demalion0demalion0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you can get him a bit under half his mount dies. stopping the big hits.

I got the mount to die on the first try even, but after that it is WORSE for me...he hits for less, but he hits more frequently and unavoidably for me off of his mount...
  • demalion0demalion0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, Dazed effect not preventing the boss continuing to move to follow and then use various attacks, having the dismounted boss shots follow me into Stealth seconds after entering it and do a third of my health in damage, and this being repeated pretty quickly, is not fun. It looks like something a Guardian Fighter or chain-stunning Control Wizard has the tools to handle easily, but without Dazed countering/interrupting things other than what I can dodge myself and without the amount of ranged damage and consecutive stunning tools a CW has, I think this encounter is in need of some mechanics tweaking for at least TR.

The major issue for me is the chase-you-everywhere hits from the dismounted boss being so large, with a minor issue of glitchiness in the pounce of the mount and things like animation duration relative to it and when cutting it close as a result, being outside of its effect area but being sucked into it somehow (not sure if rubberbanding or its effect not being confined to the splat circle).
  • perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not as easy for a GF as you might think. The followup attacks to the pounce are incredibly strong, hard to dodge, and will break a guard in about one hit. Without that guard, all a GF can do is run away and get stabbed in the back some more. GFs do have Griffon's Wrath though, which is great on shutting down the boss. The boss is vulnerable to stun, so timing a stun right after the pounce will stop those mount attacks. However, the cooldown is too long to keep up. So, hit the boss with it, run away screaming and trying not to take too much damage, then hit the boss again when it's up.

Once the dwarf is off the cat, though, the boss is really easy for a GF, as the hits can no longer break guard.

I'm not sure what's up with this boss, as it's so much harder than other solo bosses. Needs to be tweaked.
  • pechenkkapechenkka Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi guys,
    This boss sounds interesting. But I just complete quest line in Mountain Hotenow and never found "The Hellthorn Traitor" quest. Where did you get it, from what npc or zone?