test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mount cost is messed up

isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I saw someone selling a nightmare mount for around 700k AD. This is ridiculous when you consider rank 3 training alone costs 2 mill AD, but they aren't necessary because the speed is tied to the mount and not separate training. This makes buying the mount directly much cheaper.

$5 for a rank 1 mount, but it would cost you $50 in AD to get it up to rank 3 at 400 AD rate. It also makes me ask why bother even selling rank 1 mounts? No one wants to settle for the lowest mount speed and it still costs a lot when you consider it is the lowest speed. This also leads me into another issue with mounts.

It is like p2win because you can get any speed right from level 20 which gives a significant advantage in pvp allowing you to get to nodes and get points faster. It is not possible for a level 20 to get even rank 2. I didn't even have enough gold until level 25 let alone the diamonds. Mounts are not just purely aesthetics which is the problem.

It costs nearly 3 mill AD from rank 1 to 3 which is a lot even at 60 because you have the limit of 24k refining per day. The reason in-game method matters is because the extra influx of diamonds is determined by people buying zen and thus spending real money or that the game matured enough for surplus to exist. Mostly it's because of people spending real money. The entire system is broken.

WoW does it right. Mount speed is restricted by level and a basic mount and training is absolutely affordable when you reach that level. This makes it balanced. It is not in NW and that's why it's borderline p2win. I find the WoW model great, but at very least the mount training cost should be drastically reduced. It's enough to make cosmetic mounts cost a lot, but not the speed which creates balance issues.

Also why is there one rank 3 mount for $30 and the rest $40? What possible, sensible reason is there for the price difference?
Post edited by isopoint on

Comments

• Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they can charge more for mounts in higher demand. people buy the slower one because not everyone starts off with millions of ad. and theoretically you could get the nightmare opening just 1 nightmare box and it would be very cheap then $1.25 for a key I think..
  • Options
    peterfspeterfs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    Also why is there one rank 3 mount for $30 and the rest $40? What possible, sensible reason is there for the price difference?

Because people will buy them. When you are in pvp and racing to the node to cap it, the free player will ALWAYS lose.

would you like to always lose? No? Then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3bhh8fqYs
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mounts in PvP _should_ by all means be capped at a certain speed, that is the only true p2w aspect in this game, IMO. But PWE probably won't do that, becuase I'm pretty sure lots of people drop big $ into mounts for this very reason.

That being said, obviously with more and more Nightmares being thrown into the economy, their value will drop, that's a pretty simple concept.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    peterfs wrote: »
    Because people will buy them. When you are in pvp and racing to the node to cap it, the free player will ALWAYS lose.

That's a fallacy though. The short distance you have to go is negligible, and being out in front makes you more of a target, so you end up dead sooner. Also, getting to the node first means nothing, it's how long you hold it and other score things.
  • Options
    peterfspeterfs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    That's a fallacy though. The short distance you have to go is negligible, and being out in front makes you more of a target, so you end up dead sooner. Also, getting to the node first means nothing, it's how long you hold it and other score things.

Hero of the North, you seem to have stockholm syndrome. The fast speed at which you get to the node allows for you to cap it and let a few point ticks happen. By that time the slow 50% guy rolls up and you fight.

But how could I expect someone who is deeply bonded with their captor to understand? You don't have this issue because you paid for the mount. A free player does. So, in that light, you have no ground to stand on because you have no idea what it is like, paid player.

50% race the 110% to the node, who wins?

Pay to win baby!