test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More classes please. At any cost.

ff2nn2ff2nn2 Member Posts: 60
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would love to have most D&D classes as soon as possible.
A class is fundamental to a roleplaying game.
The classes and their gameplay are the most important distinction from other RPG.

I do not mind if animations and special effects are recycled.
I do not mind if classes are unbalanced at first.

Offer now and fix later. It is impossible to make things perfect for the first time anyway.
And the D&D background should be a solid starting point.

If classes are adapted for PvP, then in small steps and with group vs group in mind.
A fair 1v1 is impossible with diverse classes and roles anyway.
Post edited by ff2nn2 on

Comments

• sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's not only necessary to be able to play more classes. But also to feel more unique in parties
  • lordquncagelordquncage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's still in Open beta because they wanted to release more classes and races in the official release. Or that is what I've heard at least.
  • ff2nn2ff2nn2 Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    True.
    The best and maybe only way is more classes for more freedom to play the individual style you want to play.
    I do not like class restricted weapons. Why not a cleric with sword and dagger ?
    But do not mind iconic class weapon types like the holy symbol.

Maybe I got you wrong and you meant visual distinction.
    sadmummy wrote: »
    I think it's not only necessary to be able to play more classes. But also to feel more unique in parties
    edited May 2013
    Open beta or not. If MMO does not change then because it is dead.

Some developer said in some preview video that he could cry that only so few classes are available.
    But he still thinks that doing classes right is better than offering many classes done wrong.
    I think the opposite is better.
    I would like to play my favoured class now.
    Even if it is broken for PvP of any kind.
    Even if it looks like a mix of other class judging from the visuals.
    And with D&D as foundation, it can go wrong only to some degree.
    It's still in Open beta because they wanted to release more classes and races in the official release. Or that is what I've heard at least.
  • foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Facepalm.

No. This is not dnd, this is a video game. This means that the assets need development and internal testing and then Q/A testing before they move to live. Introducing a broken class results in this:

1) angry and upset players who play the class when its 'nerfed' or 'buffed'
    2) Other classes get balance tweaked for the new one, and then they end up in a mess because they tweak the new one and have to re-tweak all the others again and again to compensate.
    3) Unfinished animations, sound, combat.
    4) Re-learning your class again and again and again because its changed so often.

You say you dont mind but, surely you would be one of the first back on here complaining that your class was not 'done right' or 'finished' if they released it right this moment without half of its abilities or gear or anything.
    Kitsunami Lupo
    Head of PR
    http://www.gamersaurs.com/
    edited May 2013
    Judging from the posts on this forum, there is no and will be no fine player balance anyway.
    Content is relatively easy for any kind of class and group.
    There are casual and hardcore players.
    And the cash shop offers powerful (even OP) equipment to beat any enemy.
    edited May 2013
    No need to be rude (facepalm).
    I accept your standpoint and opinion.
    Whatever you do, players are always upset for some reason.
    But lacking classes is at least an objective flaw.

Classes will (and should) be nerfed and buffed over time anyway.
    I doubt that NWO is different from any other MMO in this regard.
    The more choice, the more difficult to say what is OP and what not. Especially in group play.

As already mentioned multiple times, there is no need to add new junk stuff (animation) to the game.
    Just reuse the existing working stuff and offer more as time goes by.

And stop making assumptions about what I would do nor not.
    I am not totally stupid.
    I play only PVE with friends.
    I am a casual player and have not all time in the world to play.
    As my wanted playstyle is not possible, I stopped playing the game so far.

foxwater wrote: »
    Facepalm.

No. This is not dnd, this is a video game. This means that the assets need development and internal testing and then Q/A testing before they move to live. Introducing a broken class results in this:

1) angry and upset players who play the class when its 'nerfed' or 'buffed'
    2) Other classes get balance tweaked for the new one, and then they end up in a mess because they tweak the new one and have to re-tweak all the others again and again to compensate.
    3) Unfinished animations, sound, combat.
    4) Re-learning your class again and again and again because its changed so often.

You say you dont mind but, surely you would be one of the first back on here complaining that your class was not 'done right' or 'finished' if they released it right this moment without half of its abilities or gear or anything.
  • mreptmrept Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ff2nn2 wrote: »
    I play only PVE with friends.
    I am a casual player and have not all time in the world to play.

And it's when MMOs start catering to the "casual crew"'s needs that things go awry.

Classes get nerfed
    Dungeons get nerfed
    Game turns into a cakewalk.

Yeah... more classes would be nice. But they will come. In due time, after enough balancing and tweaking so that they bring something new to the game without breaking it.
    edited May 2013
    Besides, no amount of internal testing replaces player testing.
    If so many players complain in unity about something, just tweak damage, duration or range a little bit. e.g. by 2 or 5%.
    The technical adjustement is done in seconds.
    If the voices are not conclusive, keep things as they are.

The designers would better spend time listening and responding to the forum than trying to make the perfect solution in internal testing.
    There is no need to be flawless as developer.
    Players would love to see that their opinion matters and leads to a change within a month, a week or for the next update.
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you that patience for new additions is required. Everything takes time.
    The question remains, how much time.

Maybe overly cautious and politically correct advances and perfect balancing are the main reason why things become stale and more of the same.
    I wanted to propose the idea that brave and raw additions might be more welcome than perfection.
    Perfection is practically impossible to achieve and especially for the first try.

mrept wrote: »
    And it's when MMOs start catering to the "casual crew"'s needs that things go awry.

Classes get nerfed
    Dungeons get nerfed
    Game turns into a cakewalk.

Yeah... more classes would be nice. But they will come. In due time, after enough balancing and tweaking so that they bring something new to the game without breaking it.
  • xarkocznwnxarkocznwn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some developer said in some preview video that he could cry that only so few classes are available.
    But he still thinks that doing classes right is better than offering many classes done wrong.

Yep I remember him saying this, would be nice if it were true.. they only managed to do 3 classes right a 2 are useless.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xarkocznwn wrote: »
    Yep I remember him saying this, would be nice if it were true.. they only managed to do 3 classes right a 2 are useless.

Which two? I'll roll them and be awesome.

Anyway, if you poke around the forums and other pre-OB interviews the Dev's have confirmed that they are working on 2 more strikers (two-weapon ranger and scourge warlock) and I recall there being another non-striker but I can't think of it right now. Go poke around. You'll find them.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    foxwater wrote: »
    Facepalm.

No. This is not dnd, this is a video game.
    Please stop repeating that nonsense.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • jjeshopjjeshop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *Wants Ranger*
    IGN: Teseanna

Closed :D Beta :D Tester
    [SIGPIC]i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/jjeshop/ooo-1.png[/SIGPIC]
  • rakunenrakunen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately since this is Cryptic the odds are good the entire development team has already been moved onto their next MMO. If not for that I'd reckon classes would be one of the major focusses for extra content.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would love to have most D&D classes as soon as possible.
    A class is fundamental to a roleplaying game.
    The classes and their gameplay are the most important distinction from other RPG.

I do not mind if animations and special effects are recycled.
    I do not mind if classes are unbalanced at first.

Offer now and fix later. It is impossible to make things perfect for the first time anyway.
    And the D&D background should be a solid starting point.

If classes are adapted for PvP, then in small steps and with group vs group in mind.
    A fair 1v1 is impossible with diverse classes and roles anyway.

Wow, I hope they don't listen to you....
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    Which two? I'll roll them and be awesome.
    I like that attitude (honestly). Just go for it and have fun.
    If things are too broken, then come back to the forum and tell about it.
    Hopefully Cryptic will listen and not think they have achieved perfection after months of internal testing.
    bpphantom wrote: »
    Anyway, if you poke around the forums and other pre-OB interviews the Dev's have confirmed that they are working on 2 more strikers (two-weapon ranger and scourge warlock) and I recall there being another non-striker but I can't think of it right now. Go poke around. You'll find them.

Why is this kept obscure ? Does Cryptic love to surprise the gamers ?
    Why is there no estimated release plan ?
    What are the designers working on ?