test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry - NPC fight for you

samahczsamahcz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Foundry
Hi,

I am new to foundry and now I am stuck at one problem.
Is there a possibility to make an NPC follow you and fight for you after dialogue? I have found "follow" behaviour but that means that the NPC will just follow, not fight for you.

Thank you for you replies and have a nice day:)
Post edited by samahcz on

Comments

• Options
    chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use guards- they are under encounters but they are friendly. You can make them follow you but not use dialogue.

If you want to use dialogue try the following.

Decide on/ design a particular costume.

Create an npc in that costume and use dialogue. Have it disappear upon completion of dialogue.
    Have the guard encounter appear in the same place once the dialogue has completed in the same costume. Set it to follow.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    samahcz wrote: »
    Hi,

I am new to foundry and now I am stuck at one problem.
    Is there a possibility to make an NPC follow you and fight for you after dialogue? I have found "follow" behaviour but that means that the NPC will just follow, not fight for you.

Thank you for you replies and have a nice day:)
    This can be done indirectly. First, you start with an NPC for the dialog. Then, disappear the NPC and appear a guard encounter wearing the NPC's costume in its place.
    You can see this done in "Witch Hammer Chronicle" as an example.
  • Options
    samahczsamahcz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great guys:) thank you very much:) you helped a lot;)
  • Options
    nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm having problems trying to do the same thing.

Trying to create just 1 specific NPC at a time that will join the player and fight with them. I kind of also want the character to be able to be revived if he dies as well.... and for the NPC to be rather tough.

It seems like cryptic doesn't want you to be able to have NPCs help you at all during missions... even though you can make the mission as insanely hard or easy as you want by changing the encounters.... I don't get it.

Either that or they haven't gotten around to a simple way of "Hiring a temporary Companion" in Foundry Quests yet.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are no revives in the game atm - unless another player helps or the player buys (with real life money) a scroll to revive.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »
    There are no revives in the game atm - unless another player helps or the player buys (with real life money) a scroll to revive.

You can revive your companion (your pet basically) in the regular game. What I'm trying to do would basically give players a temporary pet/companion that you can revive in the same fashion and scales to be able to fight alongside you in the same fashion.

It would only last the duration of the foundry mission and it would be nice to change every aspect of it. What skills it has, give it dialogue options so you can talk to it throughout the quest, etc.

But atm can't do that. :(

You can only use the guard encounter template as friendly fighting NPCs and all other NPCs won't fight alongside you.
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ooo NPC revives... hmmm yeah... that is a property of a companion. Currently no way to give a NPC a companion in a foundry mission at this moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »
    ooo NPC revives... hmmm yeah... that is a property of a companion. Currently no way to give a NPC a companion in a foundry mission at this moment.

I have an npc and her pet dog, when she fights I used the two person guard- used her costume on her and the pet dog costume on the other.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have an npc and her pet dog, when she fights I used the two person guard- used her costume on her and the pet dog costume on the other.

Yea the 2 brute guards work well enough, but can still die sadly. They need to add a whole section to the Foundry that allows you to create companions that fight alongside you. (That will allow you to edit their skills, hp, class, weapons, etc)
    -Protect the Caravan-
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nokturnel wrote: »
    Yea the 2 brute guards work well enough, but can still die sadly. They need to add a whole section to the Foundry that allows you to create companions that fight alongside you. (That will allow you to edit their skills, hp, class, weapons, etc)

Admittedly I made it a bloody easier encounter so one of them could solo it.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    boos81boos81 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a NPC i need to make fight/follow and i know how to do those things but I need her to be a Magic caster. I found the guard encounter with one but I can't get rid of the Other gaurds it comes with. Any ideas on how to create a lol caster NPC that can actually fight? Thanks in advance for any ideas
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    boos81 wrote: »
    I have a NPC i need to make fight/follow and i know how to do those things but I need her to be a Magic caster. I found the guard encounter with one but I can't get rid of the Other gaurds it comes with. Any ideas on how to create a lol caster NPC that can actually fight? Thanks in advance for any ideas
    Hide the other guards somewhere like a room or somewhere where they can not reach the player.
  • Options
    boos81boos81 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you Kama , that is a great idea :) your the best! :p
  • Options
    rawmettlerawmettle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nokturnel wrote: »
    You can revive your companion (your pet basically) in the regular game. What I'm trying to do would basically give players a temporary pet/companion that you can revive in the same fashion and scales to be able to fight alongside you in the same fashion.

It would only last the duration of the foundry mission and it would be nice to change every aspect of it. What skills it has, give it dialogue options so you can talk to it throughout the quest, etc.

But atm can't do that. :(

You can only use the guard encounter template as friendly fighting NPCs and all other NPCs won't fight alongside you.

One way that I recently discovered to 'revive' a friendly fighting encounter is to set their combat to "fight to submission" with a linger time (can edit under layout mode) of 0 (meaning they don't disappear). So, when they would die, they do stop fighting, but they don't disappear.

Then, whenever the "defeat enemies" objective is complete, I destroy the first one (would do so even if they weren't defeated) and refresh them with a new copy of the friendly encounter. Of course, you have to place them beforehand - just somewhere nearby that makes sense for the next part, or I suppose if you have them follow that would also be an effective means of returning them.

*** I just discovered a flaw with this. When you set them to 'fight to submission', they are no longer friendly O.O They fight both your enemies and you >.< (and nearby vulnerable npc's lol) ***
    So maybe they do just have to die and be brought back :/
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have an encounter that follows and fight with the player, and yes, they usually die with enemy encounters, so every time the enemy encounter ends, I "revive" them, destroying the first copy, and creating a new one. And trick the player talking to someone, so she/he doesn't realizes what happens behind.

You can see it in:

NW-DP7A93B76 El Paso de las Sword Mountains. (Second chapter of a campaign. Barely 20 min)

It's in Spanish, but you will get the idea.

Edit: "Destroying the first copy" = Set encounter invisible when objective complete.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How do you set invisible an encounter? I haven't seen that option around :o
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    How do you set invisible an encounter? I haven't seen that option around :o

Oh lol, sorry, I mean "Disappear when" instead of invisible, in Visibility properties :confused:

Edit: "Destroying the first copy" = Set encounter "Disappear when" objective complete.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.