test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Foundry

samahczsamahcz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Hello,

I wanted to make some nice quest or campaign in foundry since I've heard there will be this option. I just want to ask you one question. Is there any problem if in the Quest/Campaign is used character from Forgotten Realms? It's a character you could meet in games like Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and in many books which are placed in Forgotten Realms.
I just don't want to think about some great story and then found out that this map can't be published:(
I've read Foundry Terms of Use but I'm not actually sure if it's problem or not.
I hope that this question would not bother you.
Thank you for releasing this wonderfull game, I am big enthusiast of Forgotten Realms and DnD:)

Have a nice day and thank you in advance for you help.
Post edited by samahcz on

Comments

• Options
    robdblackwolfrobdblackwolf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Theoretical it could be a copyright infringement / TOS violation. However, Neverwinter is indeed based in the Forgotten Realms. But please be aware that over 100 years have passed since Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 ,most novels and Neverwinter. As example, the "Shadows of the Avatar" Trilogy is set in 1358 DR. Neverwinter is in 1479 DR. Belkram, Itharr and Sharantyr are long gone, but their descendants are maybe still around.
  • Options
    verse4verse4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Theoretical it could be a copyright infringement / TOS violation. However, Neverwinter is indeed based in the Forgotten Realms. But please be aware that over 100 years have passed since Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 ,most novels and Neverwinter. As example, the "Shadows of the Avatar" Trilogy is set in 1358 DR. Neverwinter is in 1479 DR. Belkram, Itharr and Sharantyr are long gone, but their descendants are maybe still around.

you are of course right, but this are the forgotten realms! time travel (with all its issues ;-) ), wonders, etc. etc. etc.
    Death and/or time are not an "issue" per se. Oh boy, i LOVE forgotten realms and its possibilities.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I know that it can be problem with copyright and that is why I was asking.

Robdblackwolf: Of course I am aware about that "time" issue but with some imagination you can beat this problem:) As verse4 said there is no problem to use some kind of "Time travel". And I was trying to make a story which would be in many ways same as Caverns of Time in World of Warcraft. That means something like fixing time order or stopping evil from disturbing Forgotten Realms time sequence:)
    Thx for your replies guys, I appreciate this:)
    BTW: That character I am talking about is Drizzt Do'Urden:)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is there any chance that someone from Cryptic Studios will reply to this thread? Someone who decide which foundry Q are going to be published or not:)
  • Options
    adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    samahcz wrote: »
    Hello,

I wanted to make some nice quest or campaign in foundry since I've heard there will be this option. I just want to ask you one question. Is there any problem if in the Quest/Campaign is used character from Forgotten Realms? It's a character you could meet in games like Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and in many books which are placed in Forgotten Realms.
    I just don't want to think about some great story and then found out that this map can't be published:(
    I've read Foundry Terms of Use but I'm not actually sure if it's problem or not.
    I hope that this question would not bother you.
    Thank you for releasing this wonderfull game, I am big enthusiast of Forgotten Realms and DnD:)

Have a nice day and thank you in advance for you help.

I can't imagine there being any issue with this, the game has a legit license from Wizards of the Coast and content you produce is technically the property of of the license holder anyway.
    As for using characters that are probably long dead, make a history quest (based x many years ago) or a time travel quest.
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
  • Options
    nokturnelnokturnel Member Posts: 173 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yea I was planning on creating a tall tale about Baldur's Gate 2 and use some characters and locations from the game.

To avoid copyright infringement I was going to make it a parody and have all the character's names be slightly different. (Minks and Roo!) lol while blowing everything out of proportion and exaggerating. (Like a real tall tale lol) But I was wondering if it was even possible to be able to use characters from Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 legit in a foundry map. Cryptic care to comment? Otherwise I think creating a parody should be fine, right?
    -Protect the Caravan-
    Fun 15-20 Minute Heavy Combat Quest with a difficulty slider. Hand crafted environments and encounters.
    Code: NW-DSVCX8LD4
    Thread URL: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?257391-Protect-the-Caravan
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anything and everything that is owned by Wizards of the Coast in the D&D universe is fair game. You are pretty much not restricted in anything - as long as it does not outright offend anyone, does not contain bad language, nudity, all that stuff.

What you are asking is most certainly allowed.

HOWEVER - in these cases it will never be considered for "Foundry Spotlight" and "Featured Quest" - so just don't submit it for consideration of these. Otherwise, as long as you're not breaking the Cryptic rules, you can do pretty much what you want.