test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More than one outcome in quest options and teleporters

jennajuice69jennajuice69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I'm working on my first map in the foundry and was wondering if there could be two outcomes in a map and still be able to complete the map successfully? and how?

example: bring the item to npc #1 and get different items/rewards/encounters than if you brought it to npc #2.

im trying to look for videos on it or how i can possibly just do it in the editor, but have not been able to find out how to yet. any help would be grateful

thank you

also.... side question. how do i make teleporters at the end of the map go back to the beginning of the map? (to quickly turn in quest item instead of running back)
i have just been able to teleport to the end, and the end teleporter teleports me to another map :(
Post edited by jennajuice69 on

Comments

• Options
    gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well you have no control over rewards at all, so that's out. Also, OR logic is impossible if it is in the story line, you can only use AND logic. If you want to have options it has to be done outside the story, or ensure that all options converge back into a single point. My video on encounter choices shows one way of doing options with encounters and conversations.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    maybe i should clarify a bit more... i want two story lines in my map, one if i bring it to one person its a good thing and the map is over... the other is a bad choice and you fight encounters, and then you eventually bring it to the right one and THEN the map is over....
  • Options
    nezziepooh101nezziepooh101 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I have been working on with my campaign, no you can't do that, I don't even think they have that mechanic in the normal game (neverwinter)

It's a set path. As gemstrike stated, you can't do "or", only "and".

You can't set a mechanic where if you pick "this", "this" happens opposed to "this" happening if you picked "this".

I get what you mean, and how you want to do it. It's just not that simple for the developers to give us that option, maybe it's something for them to note down the track.
  • Options
    havoclhavocl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    Make 2 walls before the map transition or chest. The first one will appear when the Player is on path #1 and disappear when he finishes it (bring item to NPC 1) and the second similar - Path #2 appear and disappear on finish. Story wise? You have one objective - Reach Point, where the point is the exit/chest. Since the player can't reach the point due invisible walls (or other measures), he needs to finish one of your paths.
    Conflict between sworn enemies (NWS-DB3HIQPRH) by Havoc988 :
    It started with a burglary
    Then it got friendly
    But it ended badly
  • Options
    yrenlanzyrenlanz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dialog/objectives are and based, so we are quite limited. Unless somebody found a way to fake the system.
    Story is much more flexible and allows for choice based encounters since the appear and vanish are more robust.
    However once you tie the npc, object, etc to an objective in dialog you pretty much lose all flexibility.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the answers. Sad I can't do what I really want to do, but hopefully after beta they will open up some new options for better quest story-lines.

And I figured out the teleporters... Just have to make them high enough so you fall down lol
  • Options
    chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Well, you can do a branching dialogue, then tie your different pieces to each branch. What you can't do at all is make the quest objective say "Do X OR Y".

So you make a guy who has a bit of dialogue "Hey, go do this thing over here, or this other thing." with two responses. "Do the thing over here" and "do the other thing". Then the NPC will have a response to each of those (important) even if it's just "blah blah blah" doesn't matter (you can leave the player responses default on the second NPC responses).

Make it so the guy is disabled after they complete the objective so they can't do both options (if you still need him to be there, just replace him with a copy that says whatever, but doesn't have the actual quest objective).

After this, you just key your stuff off of either the first or second NPC response in that dialogue. If you need to, completely disable everything that is for option A if option B is enabled and vice versa. You'll use the enable when dialogue option reached and select either the first or second NPC response (could do more branches, even).

Hope this makes sense.