test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lets talk about some facts...

saeleth7saeleth7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I’ve been watching the forums thinking about a number of the things that players have been saying about the state of the game, cash shop, content...etc...and wanted to really think out my post before putting it up. I’d like to ask people to take a moment and breath then consider the following:

Fact: You had to pay ZERO out of pocket for Neverwinter, and if you decided to purchase one of the Founder Packs? You were well compensated for it in the form of goodies that you were given in-game.

Fact: Neverwinter has breathed life into a very stale genre. The combat system that is in place is one of the best ever implemented, and The Foundry will keep players busy with content for literally years to come. I can’t stress this enough, The Foundry is brilliant and gives players an endless stream of new content or the opportunity to design some of their own. Please name another MMO that does this.

Fact: The cash-shop prices are annoying but guess what, so are the cash shop prices in other games. I’d like to point out that Cryptic/Perfect World is charging nothing for this game. Yes it stinks when you see a cool mount on the shop and its 40 bucks but 1) They need to make money, and 2) Other MMOs have done this just as bad if not worse with the services they offer. Take a look at World of Warcraft. 10 bucks for a pet, 25 bucks for a mount, 25 bucks to server transfer, 30 bucks to change factions, something like 10 or 20 bucks to change your character’s appearance. And TERA & The Secret World are also doing the same thing! My point is this isn’t something new, and it certainly isn’t anything game breaking.

Fact: The screaming of a few on the forums does NOT reflect the opinion of the entire population. Do certain things irk me about Neverwinter? Sure they do, but I’m also rational enough to realize that the devs will correct certain issues and let the fact that I am really enjoying myself outweigh those annoyances.

Fact: Yes there are bugs, yes there are glitches, but I'd be willing to bet the devs are going to correct them. Just a hunch on that one :p

Neverwinter is setup to have absolutely zero barrier to entry for a gamer, and should someone want to support the company by purchasing Zen then good for them, its going towards paying the salary of the people who will be delivering more content. I’ll be the first to admit I was right on board with the “omg doom!” bandwagon when I began reading the forums and then after a few days and some more playing and thinking realized that there is nothing here that is that bad at all.

My advice to everyone is just relax and enjoy the game. In the grand scheme everything that is being done here is pretty darn normal :)
Post edited by saeleth7 on

Comments

• pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just the facts ma'am
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    saeleth7 wrote: »
    I’ve been watching the forums thinking about a number of the things that players have been saying about the state of the game, cash shop, content...etc...and wanted to really think out my post before putting it up. I’d like to ask people to take a moment and breath then consider the following:

Fact: You had to pay ZERO out of pocket for Neverwinter, and if you decided to purchase one of the Founder Packs? You were well compensated for it in the form of goodies that you were given in-game.

Fact: Neverwinter has breathed life into a very stale genre. The combat system that is in place is one of the best ever implemented, and The Foundry will keep players busy with content for literally years to come. I can’t stress this enough, The Foundry is brilliant and gives players an endless stream of new content or the opportunity to design some of their own. Please name another MMO that does this.

Fact: The cash-shop prices are annoying but guess what, so are the cash shop prices in other games. I’d like to point out that Cryptic/Perfect World is charging nothing for this game. Yes it stinks when you see a cool mount on the shop and its 40 bucks but 1) They need to make money, and 2) Other MMOs have done this just as bad if not worse with the services they offer. Take a look at World of Warcraft. 10 bucks for a pet, 25 bucks for a mount, 25 bucks to server transfer, 30 bucks to change factions, something like 10 or 20 bucks to change your character’s appearance. And TERA & The Secret World are also doing the same thing! My point is this isn’t something new, and it certainly isn’t anything game breaking.

Fact: The screaming of a few on the forums does NOT reflect the opinion of the entire population. Do certain things irk me about Neverwinter? Sure they do, but I’m also rational enough to realize that the devs will correct certain issues and let the fact that I am really enjoying myself outweigh those annoyances.

Neverwinter is setup to have absolutely zero barrier to entry for a gamer, and should someone want to support the company by purchasing Zen then good for them, its going towards paying the salary of the people who will be delivering more content. I’ll be the first to admit I was right on board with the “omg doom!” bandwagon when I began reading the forums and then after a few days and some more playing and thinking realized that there is nothing here that is that bad at all.

My advice to everyone is just relax and enjoy the game. In the grand scheme everything that is being done here is pretty darn normal :)

Sorry, your wrong. How about that?

Cash shop prices in other MMo's are not the same..for example...Star Trek Online, another PWE owned game.

Thanks, have a nice day fanboi.
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
  • stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like a lot of opinions to me.
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Fact: Yes there are bugs, yes there are glitches, but I'd be willing to bet the devs are going to correct them. Just a hunch on that one :p

Fact: ^^ This person above me is an idiot.
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The Cash shop here is pretty bad. I will still play the game though but to say it's the norm and necessary for the game's survival is a bit naive.

As an example: league of legends cash shop.
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So are numerous other mmos as well, and some forign mmo's yet they tend to give us access to basic stuff cheaper or, within the game itself. Also founders themselves are ripp offs and are not worth the investment... no bags, no inventory slots, no bank slots... for what they charged you basically getting some vanity and fluff items and nothing of real use. So still stuck having to pay 100+ dollars per toon.

Mean the copy and paste combat system from tera? while the skill system is quite interesting the combat itself is very much ripped from Tera online, which took ques from previous action games like monster hunter. Tera's combat is still marginally better in that weapons have weight and impact, where as they tend to not feel as good in this game. Its a great system but do not make it out like its best thing ever... its not new or innovative... its all been done before...that said they did a good job molding it into a 4e format and i enjoy it alot.

Every mmo needs to make money, this is a fact however... when you have a multi-billion dollar mmo, that has better assets, graphics, and argueably just as good combat offering things cheaper, and generally having a solid title. You try and make it sound like PWE and cryptic are offering this stuff cheaper then anyone else...you are wrong...Example D&D online...sell there bags 20 slots for 5-6 dollars, adventures are 10-15 dollars, races 10 dollars, classes 10 dollars comapanions? 40 CENTS!!! i kid you not... and dont have to level them! of course do need multi companions BUT mostly available in game... and can even summon multiables of them! so for price of 1 30 dollar companion could have 50 or so hirelings in DDO! DDO is more true to D&D and does make its money but does it through " micro " transactions and not " macro " transactions.

and this swings both ways...the problem here is that its not same people posting complaints, its new posters... differant people, when you have this many people posting and complaining this probably means you have about 10-20x's that many are not saying <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... your atempt here fails hard.

every game has bugs... i dont think a majority of people are complaining about bugs...

untill you hit end game, realize that to enchant anything you need wards, unless you want to fail constantly. Untill your bags start to fill with runes, and other odds and ends you kind of need, untill you start getting deep into the game and realize that earning AD isnt as easy as everyone tries to make it out to be. Sorry gonna disagree with you here especially... This game is designed to force you into buying things. While pretty items are the most expensive, its not those things that a majority of us are *****ing about. What we are annoyed at isnt the 40 dollar mounts, it is in fact the 30 dollar companions and 10 dollar bags, and the wards and enchanting system in general... these are all bad things...

I dont disagree i have given up trying to convince people that they are facilitating the high prices, instead i'm focused on playing the game. But that said i refuse to spend another dime on zen untill they fix the prices on bags and such, and i will just not be using high level enchants because i will not buy wards. Nobody is calling the game bad, most of us have high praises of the game, it has its problems but in general its a good game...the issue is that some of us want to support the game, but are not finding that everything is over priced... we are paying sometimes double what other mmos are charging...stop trying to gloss that fact over.

NW is charging double what its competitors are in some places or very close to it, and there is no way to hide that fact can go look in various f2p mmos yourself and see that. Also using tera online was a horrible idea...since the gave me 4 bank tabs, and access to increase my bag space IN game with NO micro transactions at all...they left almost all the quality of life things in game... tera does f2p much better then NW.
  • jourmandirjourmandir Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    40 dollar mounts arent a big deal. Mounts are cosmetic.

600 Dollar Enchantment sets are a big deal.
  • zanathos666zanathos666 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you want to make one of the greatest runes it costs you 160$.
    overpriced - fact ;)
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Fact: The game is free.

Fact: You do not have to play it.

Fact: I like Dungeons and I like Dragons and I like Free Stuff!
  • jourmandirjourmandir Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you want to make one of the greatest runes it costs you 160$.
    overpriced - fact ;)

Not even over priced.

Over-priced implies that the price is just too high.

160 dollars for an enchantment is impractical. I could buy a new computer for the price of 2 enchanted characters in neverwinter.
  • neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Sorry, your wrong. How about that?

Cash shop prices in other MMo's are not the same..for example...Star Trek Online, another PWE owned game.

Thanks, have a nice day fanboi.

Just need to ask this, is it possible to earn zen in STO? If no, you're wrong. If yes, then I'll say the cash shop needs tuning.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neolithe wrote: »
    Just need to ask this, is it possible to earn zen in STO? If no, you're wrong. If yes, then I'll say the cash shop needs tuning.

Yes, they have the same (in-game currency) <-> Zen exchange that Neverwinter does.

That said, the prices in STO aren't radically different.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • pwiratgirlpwiratgirl Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Posting opinions as if they were "facts" doesn't make them true.
  • cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fact: OP doesn't know what an opinion is.
  • sauceonsidesauceonside Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    overall I think op stated things well. yes the cash shop might not be fair but no one is forcing us to use it. plus no one event mentioned the other points. so whats that? one big negative with several positives. game is free. play it or don't. buy zen or don't. bottom line is have fun if your not, move on
  • mentalise1mentalise1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really don't understand this kind of fanboyism, you're basically arguing against your own interests, fact: the cashshop prices are ridiculous, the only way to make it better for everyone(including you, regardless of how much money you're willing to sink into a game) is to give feedback on it and hope the devs respond to it the way they should, and by the way the 'minority' you mentioned was large enough to create a 114 page thread in case you've not seen it, I love the game and that's what makes it painful, to see such a great game with such potential brought down into the dirt by a greedy cash shop, and paid respecs.
  • thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just, no.

/disagree.
    Looking for a mature guild to play with?

www.guildmedieval.com

Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.
  • klownzeroklownzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fact, you really didn't list fact's, just your thought's, Sir, People have the right to their opinion, not your or my place to negate their voice on the subject. Respect the opinion of other's, don't troll em.
    When the shadow's embrace you, it is there you will find me.