test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Quest for Magic

yoshitheblmyoshitheblm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Hello fellow Neverwinter Adventurers! My name is Yoshihito or @yoshi theblm (no space - profanityfilterftw!).

I'm here to ask my fellow players to please Review my new (and first) quest, 'The Quest for Magic - Part 1'. The code is NW-DTCQAWOM3. I've never used something like this before so I hope it's good. After much trial and tribulation I actually fixed it so it works. There was a bug with my added quest items that would drop the quest completely once you got one. Please play-through and review the quest and provide any feedback. Just looking to get it out of the review stage and into the masses!

Take care people!
Post edited by yoshitheblm on

Comments

• yoshitheblmyoshitheblm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looking for people to help me review my quest. If you have a quest you need reviewed let me know and I'll help you out as well!
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey! I just reviewed your quest. I only gave it a 3-star rating, but I think you've got a lot of potential as an author. The below are my notes that I wrote down while playing the quest:

Why did I have to ask the cleric for directions? Why not just go directly to where we need to go? Particularly jarring since they're on the opposite sides of the map from each other.

Dialogue feels a little clunky and too matter-of-fact.

How come we're suddenly in a huge crypt by entering a house in the Blacklake District?

The environments feel a little empty. Perhaps add some interactions/clues?

I like how you've named some of the common enemies along the way. Gives them more personality and uniqueness, even if we all know they are standard enemies.

The walking between and into common buildings in Neverwinter is interesting and makes the quest more lively, even if the places themselves are a little empty.

The crystal ball needs a proper name.

The dungeon is too linear and repetitive. This is the part that really pulled down the rating for me. I was tired of fighting the same enemies over and over almost immediately.

Don't get discouraged by the 3 stars. I have faith in you! :)
  • yoshitheblmyoshitheblm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the response and rating. I appreciate the feedback and have a few answers for you.

Like I said in the original post this was my first time using the Foundry or anything like it for that matter. Now on to the other stuff.

Talking to the Cleric is something I'm going to remove. When I first started using the Foundry I had trouble figuring out a few things, like how to make my own NPC's. I thought I was forced at first to use the ones populated on the Neverwinter Adventure map, which were rather scarce. So the Cleric was at first going to take the Great Wizards place. Now that I have it figured out that little nuisance will be removed.

As far as the dialogue goes, I'm still playing around with the system and figuring out new things every day. What exactly do you think should be changed in terms of that?

The dungeon entrance location will be changed, I just picked a spot for starters to get everything situated and ready for play.

My plan is to keep updating the quest before I add Part 2. So the environments will be more fleshed out with more NPC activity. Once sounds are fixed that will be nice too.

The crystal ball is called the 'Scrying Eye'. I thought the name was proper if not, any suggestions?

For the dungeon itself the idea was to have you go against the Wicked Blade Mercenaries. That's why they are all Human and it feels repetitive. I do have plans to re-skin a lot of them as well as add a variety of other enemies like animal companions and other nasty things that occupy dark places like that.

I thank you for the review and hope that you will consider playing through it again once the changes have been made. Also, if you have any suggestions or responses to what I posted please feel free to add your input. I really appreciate all the help I get.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't help you with all of your raised points, but here are some answers:
    As far as the dialogue goes, I'm still playing around with the system and figuring out new things every day. What exactly do you think should be changed in terms of that?

This is a bit too complex to handle in a post like this, but I felt that your style of writing NPCs was very terse and unnaturally straight to the point (if I recall correctly. I've reviewed 33 quests at the time of writing, so they tend to flow into each other in my head). It's not really a problem for most people, and if you've played my quests you'll know that I'm myself unusually verbose with mine. I'm just looking for a little realism in NPCs, and that's admittedly not easy to create.
    The crystal ball is called the 'Scrying Eye'. I thought the name was proper if not, any suggestions?

It had the standard name when interacting with it. This is a common Foundry mistake to make. If you playtest that section of the quest (turn on untargetable to make the enemies ignore you) and look at the crystall ball, you'll see what I mean. It has the number that identifies it in the Foundry lists, among other things.
    For the dungeon itself the idea was to have you go against the Wicked Blade Mercenaries. That's why they are all Human and it feels repetitive. I do have plans to re-skin a lot of them as well as add a variety of other enemies like animal companions and other nasty things that occupy dark places like that.

Going up against the same kinds of enemies isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you need to spice it up in some way in my opinion. My own quests don't have much variety in monster types, but I keep things fresh by adding nonlinearity and unusual battle scenarios. In your quests, all battles start by having the enemies stand in one obviously visible spot until the player gets close, at which point a straightforward combat begins. There's so much more you can do with the Foundry than this. Play with triggers and behaviors, have optional encounters, ambushes, etc.
    I thank you for the review and hope that you will consider playing through it again once the changes have been made.

Sure! Just let me know. :)
    edited May 2013
    Well I've made a ton of changes/additions to the quest. I've added a sub-dungeon so the story doesn't seem so linear and straightforward. I've also expanded the dialogue a bit too. Check it out!
  • vonkatastrophenvonkatastrophen Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    HOW DO I FIND A QUEST BY CODE?

im on it my man, lemme dive into it. the code still NW-DTCQAWOM3 ?

cheers

Noili Kiburga
    :::THE DIRTY DOZEN:::
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it's still the same code. In terms of finding it by code, I'm not sure for the quests that still need to be reviewed. I can tell you that mine is between halfway and three-quarters of the way down the list though.

Thanks!
    edited May 2013
    I made some additional adjustments. Hope you guys enjoy it!
  • vonkatastrophenvonkatastrophen Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am fixing some dialogs in my quest, lemme get them finish and will play yours and review it mate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for the feedback friend. Let me know if you have any projects you would like me to check out.

I'm also in need of a few more reviews. Please help and I'll help you out!
  • shinjiyoshishinjiyoshi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great quest, played through and reviewed. Can't wait to see what you do with it and the series!
    edited May 2013
    Thanks everyone, my quest has now been published and is out of the 'For Review' section at last! For those who haven't checked it out yet, look it up in the New section!
    edited May 2013
    When we're able to get back into the game, check out my quest guys. Looking to get some more plays!