test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disheartened with my Cleric :(

elddirelddir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
I'm feeling a bit low regarding my beloved Cleric.

I'm not an awesome player by any means, but neither am I a complete newbie. During dungeons I'm keeping my team alive just fine, but when I look at our bars between battles, everyone is topped up nicely while I'm stumbling around behind at half health.

I always seem to be the first to fall during a boss battle unless the others manage to slay all the adds before they down me. I'm starting to wonder if they'd be better off without me.

I feel like the 40% self heal debuff combined with every enemy and his mother making a beeline directly for me is just too much for me to bare. I don't feel like a 'Leader' at all... more like a hindrance to my team.

I think I'm just going to shelf her for a little while and hope that something happens to improve her lot.
Post edited by elddir on

Comments

• kukoshukukoshu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My crit cleric, now at level 30, does great soloing and with groups on dungeons...
    I dont even use potions...
    Maybe u need to get better gear/build, and the tanker companion that holds agroo on him ;]
    Know how to manage ur stamina and ur divine power, also look for powers that have a good dps with healing while tab skill is active for example.
    Have fun and burn them all with sacred fireeeeee

\|__| @_@ |__|/
  • joeldgnjoeldgn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    Daunting light is great for clearing trash mobs on you (in divine you usually one-shot whole groups), chains is great for giving yourself some time, sun burst in divine mode will blow everything away from you and you get that right off the bat. Hate to ask but, are you using diving mode? (when you press tab to use the more powerful versions of the skills).

I never had any issues leveling my cleric solo, I did all the content to 60 solo, with a few exceptions when someone needed some help. I would be interested in what build you did, also in what gear you have and if you are fitting runes and which ones.

The basics are: Power = heals/dmg, Defense = damage protection, Recovery = lowers the time your skills are on cooldown and also helps generate divine power and action points. For leveling until about 35 or so you want to be full on recovery so you can spam skills all over. You can go crit cleric and power cleric once you are later, but to start recovery seemed to be the best because you can swing your big skills faster which does more damage (over time) than the small amount of damage that power would give you. Once you are 35/40 you can start looking into going heavy into defense and then power. I would suggest defense to help with the later instances and for issues in the group dungeons. Once you hit 60 you get some incredible gear with power stats, uncorn and war priest gear (which the set gives an additional 400 recovery also) Mine are mixed as I have some gears from epic dungeons and then mix and match with pvp gear. Expect to have have a set of purples for pvp and set for pve no matter which class you are.

Anyway, check out some of the videos some of us posted in the PVP tactics thread here and see if what you think.
    I will add some more tonight and start posting screens of the end score of matches and you will see.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A part of the issue maybe the aggro bug that's going around... however the 40% self-heal reduction was put in place for a reason. You have potions don't be afraid to use them since that is kind of the point of them and it's not like this is an MMO where potions are hard to come by either. Given how easily cleric can solo things that other classes can not it's easy to build up a stockpile of healing potions.

The only thing that I can see changing is the threat levels being corrected, right now GF has issues because of threat as well (they can't build enough of it on multiple mobs). Anyways later on there are a few things that can help survivability including foresight for example, temporary HP moves and lots of damage mitigation tools.
  • rakunenrakunen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having played in groups with a cleric and without I can pretty safely say a well played cleric is by no means a hindrance. They're squish but worth protecting, my other character is a Control Wizard and my understanding is their entire role amounts to "keep the cleric alive". A good control wizard will be your best friend, in return, as you say you're keeping the entire parties health topped up.
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rakunen wrote: »
    A good control wizard will be your best friend, in return, as you say you're keeping the entire parties health topped up.

I can testify that if a Control Wizard is ever in doubt of which mobs near to be controlled the most during a difficult encounter, just look for what is attacking the Cleric in the group. :P
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • valentine41valentine41 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hear your point. I understand the 40% less self-healing for when you're solo, otherwise we'd have a big advantage over other classes. The problem is when you're in a group everyone is getting the benefit of heals, but you get 40% less compared to everyone else. When combined with the healing aggro, that makes it rough.

Would be great if there was a way to turn off the 40% when you were in a dungeon.
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It seems, some of the problem might be coordination of the team.

The cleric is the magnet right now. So then the GF on the boss, everyone else on the adds on cleric.
  • knavery2112knavery2112 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I started a cleric today and am around level 10. I did the first skirmish, but couldn't figure out how to target people. In WoW, you just click on their portrait. Well, you can't do that here. What's the best way to target allies in your party to heal them? Thanks!
  • montiblancmontiblanc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    you aim them close enuf for HW or you can aim close to the ally and hold Ctrl for aim to be fixed to them. If ther is too much clutter on screen to aim then learn to use the interface options along with rearranging UI
  • karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Once you have astral shield everything changes... It is amazing. Stick with your cleric and at 50+ you're well rewarded.
  • armlpeglegarmlpegleg Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im currently 39 on my second cleric, i decided to reroll race and starting stats with my first cleric that i got to 29.

Im currently using for passives: Foresight maxed out (with points in it in feats) granting me a neat 11% extra flat dmg reduction
    Encounters: Daunting light (maxed) - Searing light (maxed) - Forgemasters flame (maxed)
    At-wills: Sacred flame & Brand of the sun (the at-will dot, it is amazing.)

Aoe:
    So what do you do? You pull a ****ton of mobs, run ahead of them, line them up and use Divinity Searing light This skill is totally broken, the additional aoe from divinity will hit a unlimited amout of targets.
    Then procceed to use Daunting light when everything is around you, i prefere to not use it with divinity as i rather save that for searing and Forgemasters flame.
    Speaking of Forgemasters flame, this skill, in divinity, will heal you for perhaps 30-40% of your hp, its absolutley insane for healing.

Singel target:
    Brand of the sun > divinity Forgemasters flame > proceed to Sacred flame the living **** out of the mob, feel free to throw in a daunting light and searing aswell for extra burst.

And here's the hook. You might be a healer class, but your absolute best companion is.. You guessed it. The Cleric.

Use the Cleric Companion pet. Its heals are way way waaay better than your own ones.

And as you're using that pet, you can go super offensive with skills.

Hope this helped you somewhat, its atleast what ive found the most effective by far when it comes to soloing.
  • armlpeglegarmlpegleg Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And as for doing dungeons pre lvl50 (Astral shield)

Im using the following.

Encounters:
    Sun burst ( aoe healing, dmg and possible knockback in oh-****-moments)
    Forgemasters flame (insane aoe healing, divinity FF and your grp is completely topped off, no matter how little life they had pretty much!)
    Healing word (Just a nice hot, and potential insta heal in case of emergency)

At-wills:
    Brand of the sun (Building Divinity/ap while moving yo!)
    Astral seal (Obviously very valuable with passive healing in a grp.)

Daily: Hallowed ground, other one is entirley up to you. I use flamestrike

edit: Only founder-packs who gets the forum avatar?

/Armleg
  • ironmanfuryironmanfury Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Cleric, there is alot talking about the Agro from clerics, me Beeing a Tank heard they have 2 many adds on them and have 2 use alot of potions all the time, well.....i have 2 say its not Your Fault..its the tanks mostly. i have done a few Epic runs this weeks with my lvl 60 Guardian Tank, and its just a new play style 2 keep the mobs of your butt!, so far i've been getting around 5 friends Invites from Clerics this week, so thats telling me that the tank they play with are not playing it right, if you ever would like 2 see a good Tank just sent me a invite and i show you how A ''Guardian'' plays like it..:D
    praetorian-helmet.gif
  • brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I started a cleric today and am around level 10. I did the first skirmish, but couldn't figure out how to target people. In WoW, you just click on their portrait. Well, you can't do that here. What's the best way to target allies in your party to heal them? Thanks!

Put Astral Seal on whatever they're attacking and let them heal themselves. Just let them get aggro first. You can also use Sunburst at that level.

Should people take massive damage (that seldomly happened in my experience), tell them to step out if they want heals.