test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Petition] Make the foundry accessible offline/when servers are down

sweetemilysweetemily Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Not alot to say here. The title says it all. It would be awesome if we can access the foundry even when the servers are down. Maybe (as others noted in Facebook comments), make it so we can access the foundry, edit and build our quests and then when we want and the servers are up, we can publish it.

Please sign this so we can get a chance of really happening! We want to create. Let us do it offline as well! As a side note, I love the game so far and I am really hooked with the foundry and its potential.
Post edited by sweetemily on

Comments

• Options
    hercul33thercul33t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 190 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious as to why it's not already implemented that way. It seems to me it would be a lot less taxing on their servers if we weren't required to be logged in constantly.
    Dr. Herc trilogy NWS-DHDPDVTMA
  • Options
    inspectahinspectah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have plenty of time with no web access throughout the week and this would be the best way i can think of to use that time. This also is especially handy when the servers are down.
  • Options
    zodatzodat Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This. Give us something to do during maintenance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    roguejd000roguejd000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    This is a very good suggestion.

I'd wager that if the game is financially successful, we'll see this implemented in a few months. It'll probably require time to develop in order to mitigate the risk of potential exploitation. I'd imagine it would be relatively simple, but the QA / testing phase would require time they haven't allotted yet.

This likely isn't top of the priority list right now, as they're still working out some core issues.
  • Options
    antcoleyantcoley Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    agreed it is annoying 1/2 way through making a mission and you get cut off
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This idea is perfect. Let us download a version of it at least, to which we can upload to our profile then to the game
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    roguejd000roguejd000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    inspectah wrote: »
    i also would love if there was a foundry we could use offline.

There's likely a VERY ToS-breaking method utilizing authentication server spoofing. I wouldn't even try it though. Great way to lose that founder account.

(That, and it's a very cumbersome process, requires a lot of know-how.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If we do get an offline application I'd like to be able to place items while actually in the map rather than just from the map tab.

I'd also like to see this even if we don't get an offline application :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    metalmushroom360metalmushroom360 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be awesome. Also what is the average time for a map to get published. It's been like a day and my map is not appearing in the For Review or any of the tabs. I asked other players to check and they could not find it either.

Any way to check if something went wrong. Did I break any rules? Thanks.
  • Options
    thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This would be great. It seems as though every time I have some free time to log into the Foundry lately, they're doing maintenance on the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That would be awesome. Also what is the average time for a map to get published. It's been like a day and my map is not appearing in the For Review or any of the tabs. I asked other players to check and they could not find it either.

Any way to check if something went wrong. Did I break any rules? Thanks.
    Search seems to not work very well. I published one a few days ago and it even got a review; yet I still haven't been able to locate it ingame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not going to happen. Sorry.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The ability for players to create custom content through Aurora is what has kept NWN and NWN2 alive for years and years and years, and for players like me, the desire to play Neverwinter was largely based on that. I think that for maximum longevity, that the game makers should consider the benefits of not only allowing offline use of the Foundry but user-created textures as well.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

That settles it... It's not going to happen.

Idiot. Why post if you're going to do nothing but add to the immeasurable amount of non-constructive, opinionated posts?

I think it's very likely to happen. Just not for a while. The devs will probably stabilize the core fundamentals of the game, then move on to projects like these - if there's enough interest, and if the game's financially stable by then.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

1) read post
    2) check poster rank
    3) disregard post
    daschla wrote: »
    user-created textures as well.

This would become second life quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zodat wrote: »

This would become second life quickly.

Which is an apt description, considering how much I have been living in the game lately. >.>
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    1) read post
    2) check poster rank
    3) disregard post
    Feel better now that I turned on my Silverstar?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Feel better now that I turned on my Silverstar?

You misunderstand.

If you're talking with such certainty and your name is not in red. I sir, do not give a ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wasabisnooterwasabisnooter Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sweetemily wrote: »
    Not alot to say here. The title says it all. It would be awesome if we can access the foundry even when the servers are down. Maybe (as others noted in Facebook comments), make it so we can access the foundry, edit and build our quests and then when we want and the servers are up, we can publish it.

Please sign this so we can get a chance of really happening! We want to create. Let us do it offline as well! As a side note, I love the game so far and I am really hooked with the foundry and its potential.

+1

Cryptic, please make this happen
    The Emperor's Staff: NW-DUUNOHIB2

The Retribution of Kel'thalun: NW-DJ46U5NZG

The Conquering of Ymir: NW-D12TWV3K3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You misunderstand.

If you're talking with such certainty and your name is not in red. I sir, do not give a ****.
    Actually, it was explained to us in Foundry beta. We got lots of direct answers, including for even more requested things like why we don't have bosses. Keep petitioning though.
  • Options
    sabo630sabo630 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    +1, I think they are more concerned with people using it for other stuff besides NW, like their own games, etc. But yes it would be cool if there was even limited access. Like if you had a made project, you could work on it, without being able to test it, and local save it. Then next time you are online you could upload your changes?

It would sure save a lot of garbage being posted on the forums, and a lot of crying. Hopefully they will figure something out that works for the players.

offline foundry would be very cool, make it happen NW!
  • Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Am I wrong that when you finish zones and it says maps are unlocked that is when you are able to use those maps in the foundry? Perhaps the Idea is to be able to do an online check to what you have available. If this were sent to the client area so that you could do it offline it could be hacked and that may be the concern.

However I do feel it is not a valid concern, foundry authors should have all available stuff and more tools than they currently have, but I am not the developers and I am sure they have seen things I have missed. It would be nice to get an official response on this however, and until then /signed.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We've been asking for this in STO for a while, the official word is that because all the creation process and the assets are server side a full client version isn't currently possible.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    Am I wrong that when you finish zones and it says maps are unlocked that is when you are able to use those maps in the foundry? Perhaps the Idea is to be able to do an online check to what you have available. If this were sent to the client area so that you could do it offline it could be hacked and that may be the concern.

However I do feel it is not a valid concern, foundry authors should have all available stuff and more tools than they currently have, but I am not the developers and I am sure they have seen things I have missed. It would be nice to get an official response on this however, and until then /signed.
    You can use the area maps for your custom maps at any time, and people can go to a map that they otherwise wouldn't see until endgame for instance. For some time, you could accept quests that pointed to level locked maps such as endgame), but the player couldn't go to the map because it was locked. They changed that at some point so if you have a Foundry quest that goes to the official Underdark (for example) map, the player can go but will immediately get a warning about not being right level. What you describe may be a leftover from that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    We've been asking for this in STO for a while, the official word is that because all the creation process and the assets are server side a full client version isn't currently possible.
    Sorry, you're account names not red so your answer has been stuck in the bin. :p
  • Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can use the area maps for your custom maps at any time, and people can go to a map that they otherwise wouldn't see until endgame for instance. For some time, you could accept quests that pointed to level locked maps such as endgame), but the player couldn't go to the map because it was locked. They changed that at some point so if you have a Foundry quest that goes to the official Underdark (for example) map, the player can go but will immediately get a warning about not being right level. What you describe may be a leftover from that.

Ahhh well it is beta and that is a low priority issue so your explanation makes perfect sense, thank you!
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Signed
    Offline option would be great
    Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
    Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
    Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
    Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min