test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF at will's (pvp)

ioannides5ioannides5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Is it just me, or do the GWF at will's seem to hit like wet noodles in pvp. Every pvp bracket I've queued for so far, I've queued at level x8 or x9 (2 highest levels of each bracket), with pretty good gear for the level, and my at will's are constantly hitting for only 100 or so... meanwhile rogues and even mages, seem to be nuking with just their at will's at some occasions
Post edited by ioannides5 on

Comments

• Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sometimes it just depends on what you are hitting. Last night did several 50-59 pvp matches, their was this one CW, im SURE something was hurting his mitigation because Weaponmasters Strike crit him for 1000 and then 700, thats one strike. Then there was another CW, probably using that **** energy shield, could barely at-will 200 on them and they hurt like hell, 8000dmg crit with their daily, they did over 6000damage in the duration of the force lift spell alone.

Having less and less trouble with rogues, more and more with CW's, they're super hard to pin down when they can 'dodge' any encounter ability you use, and even dodge dailies.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ioannides5 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do the GWF at will's seem to hit like wet noodles in pvp. Every pvp bracket I've queued for so far, I've queued at level x8 or x9 (2 highest levels of each bracket), with pretty good gear for the level, and my at will's are constantly hitting for only 100 or so... meanwhile rogues and even mages, seem to be nuking with just their at will's at some occasions

What level are you? GWF pretty much is a joke in pvp under level 30. After 30 you start to gradually get a little better. That said...GWF is probably the worst pvp class all told. GF makes great capture point holders and takers because of their durability, CW do pretty good damage as well as a ridiculous amount of knockbacks, stuns, snares, roots. TR has very high damage as well as stealth to get by large groups. DC pretty much can be a battle winner with their heals if they are done right. GWF brings a mediocre level of damage with potentially a couple of interrupts, but they have no actual dodge which mechanically works very different from sprint.
  • Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The sprint thing really worries me, when at 60 with TTK being so much lower, people who can completely and repeatedly dodge an encounter attack or a daily have a clear advantage over 'sprinting', we are still vulnerable to damage and CC while sprinting.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The sprint thing really worries me, when at 60 with TTK being so much lower, people who can completely and repeatedly dodge an encounter attack or a daily have a clear advantage over 'sprinting', we are still vulnerable to damage and CC while sprinting.

Yup, dodge has a massive advantage over sprint. We're also the only class that cannot defend themselves while moving toward a target. GF can block, TR/DC/CW can all dodge forward, GWF can only sprint.
  • Options
    mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes they are extremely weak, even with Unstoppable up. this is why good GFWs run away when encoutner cooldowns are not up in PVP. Not worth it to spam at wills.
  • Options
    mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GFW are not meant to stand toe to toe and PVP. They excel and distracting enemies and capping points though. they should call them Great Runners, or Great Weapon Holders.
  • Options
    imafckingdragnimafckingdragn Banned Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GFW are not meant to stand toe to toe and PVP. They excel and distracting enemies and capping points though. they should call them Great Runners, or Great Weapon Holders.

This statement makes me very sad as it runs counter to what I'd expect from a tank in PvP.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do just fine in the 60 bracket in PvP. I didn't bother to PvP below that bracket. I use WMS and I actually do take down people with it if stuff is on CD, especially rogues who have little to no CC. CW who usually CC me as much as possible allow my encounters to be more of a factor. I do cap points, but that is usually because I fight on them. After all the big glory gain is on the points, not out in the middle of nowhere. Put a cleric behind me and we can tear down 3 to our 2. Put two clerics behind me or a Cleric and CW and we can take on all five of the opposing team while the other two players roam and swap from assisting us to capping the non mid point.
  • Options
    volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    I do just fine in the 60 bracket in PvP. I didn't bother to PvP below that bracket. I use WMS and I actually do take down people with it if stuff is on CD, especially rogues who have little to no CC. CW who usually CC me as much as possible allow my encounters to be more of a factor. I do cap points, but that is usually because I fight on them. After all the big glory gain is on the points, not out in the middle of nowhere. Put a cleric behind me and we can tear down 3 to our 2. Put two clerics behind me or a Cleric and CW and we can take on all five of the opposing team while the other two players roam and swap from assisting us to capping the non mid point.

this
    /10 char
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    argantis wrote: »

Level 60 GWF has a lot more tools at their disposal than a sub 30 GWF, so it makes them more viable in pvp. Having said that, the GWF still is the worst situated of the 5 classes for pvp. Can a good player still have some effectiveness especially with a good team? Sure, but then so can all the other classes, except even more so. The GWF is not completely helpless, especially at 60, but when you compare the various abilities of each class in a pvp situation, they are just at the bottom of the barrel.
  • Options
    shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Queuing in the 4x bracket while being 43, I'm doing just fine. The only class that really gives me trouble is a CW, and that's just because of their pushback and dodge. Sprint just can't keep up because it burns out way too quickly.

I relegate myself to support in PvP, and usually try to pair up with a CW. If I can't pair with one, I usually just keep an eye out for whoever is in trouble.

We're far from useless sub 60. I use Weapon Strike for the extra crit and Steel Defense for the immunity. Put a Cleric behind, I'm pretty much unkillable. My average score in PvP is around 4/1/20.

All depends on how you play the class.
  • Options
    possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ioannides5 wrote: »

The "leveling" the brackets give is nonsense and does nothing for you, you will find you get good teams or bad if pugging and if a premade you will still face other premades from time to time. At level 60 you will begin to see a difference in your GWF build IF you specced correctly and have the correct armor, that said I do not give away builds but others do unfortunately, you will find these sprinkled around the pages of the interwebs, concentrate on the level 60 builds and concepts or your own and do not worry too much sub 60.

Still, even at 60 the GWF is the weakest no role class around, every class does everything better than a GWF after Cryptic nerfed them to hell, though not totally useless the GFW is the second string and will not be called off the bench unless the first string goes down. Keep that in mind.

Some reality....
    You will never put out the dps a rogue does.
    You will never put out the control or aoe damage a wizard does.
    You will never put out the aoe damage or healing a cleric does.
    You will never out dps a Guardian or tank/defend as well.

You will be able to stroll around carrying a big hunk of metal on your back though and look good doing it.

those are all factual statements all things being equal and with players that know their builds.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.