test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Little discrepancy - Neverwinter not marked as Open Beta anymore

hirichiric Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've recently accessed http://www.perfectworld.com/, and Neverwinter is marked in the grid as L:"Live" and not O:"Open Beta".

But everything in the website says it's in Open Beta. What is right and what is not?

assaaaaa.jpg

Just curious. :P
Topics: ▬► [FOUNDRY] [BUGS] Reference List and Workarounds

Modules:▬► "Mind Over Matter" NW-DNASR4HTL
(beta v0.9 - improving dialogues, fine tuning encounters, 99% bug free)
Post edited by hiric on

Comments

• peterfspeterfs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The open beta was a marketing ploy. Not big deal, it's live and accepting cash. Stores do not accept cash if they are closed or "testing"
  • applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure they want to keep the 'Open Beta' title for as long as possible to make excuses.
  • daggermouth1daggermouth1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's open beta when someone find a bug/exploit in their bad developed/programmed game.
    "Pay to Win" arguments are not allowed.
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's a live open beta. it has launched but they are still calling open beta because they don't want people thinking this is the finished product. they are still fixing and tweaking it but there will be no character wipes so it is basically a live beta.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    peterfs wrote: »
    The open beta was a marketing ploy. Not big deal, it's live and accepting cash. Stores do not accept cash if they are closed or "testing"

Wrong. Several games have done this, off the top of my head: GW2 and PoE.
  • hossbogghossbogg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting. I wonder which is the mistake.
  • vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013

not exactly true..you an cash in in Dota2 which is supposedly in Closed Beta, same with mechwarrior online, smite...pretty much any game in beta at the moment.
  • diablodeaddiablodead Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its a payed open beta thats live but still being worked on and fixed......see what i did thar?!
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure they want to keep the 'Open Beta' title for as long as possible to make excuses.

^
    This is actually correct.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /dons Scully's Tinfoil Helm of Conspiracy Theory Deflection (+4 vs. Mind Control)

How long were most Google products in beta status?
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    it is semantics only. Pwe knows it has launched, and the majority of players see it as launched. At the end of the day though it irreleant what you call it as long as you realize that by any objective standard this is not like a true beta(cash shop open, no beta feedback forums, no more char wipes, etc)
  • vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    Just because other games do it, does not make it acceptable.

Your opinion is clearly not the opinion of every developer currently in the industry. You whining about it frankly isn't going to change anything.
  • arcturitarcturit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stores do not accept cash if they are closed or "testing"

Sure they do. It's called a "soft opening," and it's meant to test the staff, networks, POS systems, etc.
    edited May 2013
    arcturit wrote: »
    Sure they do. It's called a "soft opening," and it's meant to test the staff, networks, POS systems, etc.

Don't use acronyms on these forums. People might misunderstand you.
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Unless they have said they are going to refund the money I've spent on this game, it is LIVE.

I can see why they'd want to hang on to the "beta" ploy because it gives them cover if the launch flopped (which it did not) or if there are game breaking issues (hum, Foundry exploits and garbage AH...) that need to be fixed. All in all, it's been a smooth experience so far, but the multiple, extended outages are starting to become tedious.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    The answer is it is both.

There will be no more wipes. So technically it's live.

However the game still needed the stress tests and overall testing that only comes from large amounts of players playing all at once.

It's a Live Open Beta. Also known as a soft launch. :)
  • juravianjuravian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    vertisone wrote: »
    Don't use acronyms on these forums. People might misunderstand you.

Heh. I read POS the same way it seems.
  • hirichiric Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The answer is it is both.

There will be no more wipes. So technically it's live.

However the game still needed the stress tests and overall testing that only comes from large amounts of players playing all at once.

It's a Live Open Beta. Also known as a soft launch. :)

Thanks for your answer :)

I still don't see how a "live open beta" is different from an "open beta" other than having that "have faith, we're getting close!" feel, but I was still very curious about that little detail.
    The game evolved from closed beta to open beta and then "soft launch" in about a week, that was fast! :)

The speed of the updates is amazing so far. It almost feels like a final version, that's why most people are complaining.

Glad to know "we're on the edge" of the beta, the game's evolving at a nice pace, I hope the dev's are going to give the content creators enough love in the next updates ;)
    Topics: ▬► [FOUNDRY] [BUGS] Reference List and Workarounds

Modules:▬► "Mind Over Matter" NW-DNASR4HTL
    (beta v0.9 - improving dialogues, fine tuning encounters, 99% bug free)