test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need Roll = Selfish, Lazy, and Occasionally Needing for Use

krewltykrewlty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Some players are either too selfish or too lazy to use the need/greed/pass system intelligently.

Why aren't class specific rare drops from boss battles restricted to the class that uses said item?

Got the TR boots to drop off of the final boss in Cloak Tower after 4 runs and they were taken by a CW who decided it was easy enough to just roll need and ignore chat. Second time I've seen issues with toxic players causing problems with public group experiences already.

There's also the roll need on everything because the game lets me people. The whole roll system needs an upgrade or makeover.

EDIT: (Suggested Fix)
Restrict the "Need" roll option to characters who can equip the item being rolled on, now or in the future, and who also do not already have a duplicate of that item on their character or in their inventory.
Post edited by krewlty on

Comments

• championchains03championchains03 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Last two dungeons I've run, lost all my class loot (guardian fighter) to a rogue and a wizard. I hate tanking dungeons for dumbass dps classes to roll need on literally every single drop. Time to join a guild and stop tanking pugs I guess.
  • electronaughtelectronaught Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since other games have the same loot system perhaps the free to play aspect creates/attracts a certain mentality. I've noticed that people are generally anti-social in this game so far in my experience. As I level to 60 with cleric I'm sure I'll have to find a solid group of people I can trust.
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think the real problem is that so many items are unidentified, and available to everyone. Players get so accustomed to needing anything that doesn't have a red "You can't use this" underneath it (because you very well might need it, and everyone else is rolling need, too) that they just stop paying attention. It's really a poor system.

If they want an identification system, they should have set it up so that there were a set of "static stats" and "random stats". You'd be able to see the static stats, with only the random stats hidden from you until you identified the item. At least then, you'd be able to see if the static stats worked for your character. Still a poor system (you can't see for certain if the item is an upgrade) but certainly a step up from what we have now, where an item could have completely wrong stats for you, and you have no idea until after you roll.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't it be better to run dungeons with people you know in order to get around that? I personally dislike running dungeons with other people I don't know because of this very behavior. Everyone wants to make the most out of their run, it's only understandable. They also do not lose anything by being hated for spamming Need. :)
  • aendaeronaendaeron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I am party leader and see anyone rolling need on items they can't use they'll be kicked the second they click need. One might say leader abuse, but well, ninja looting is a legitimate kick reason.
  • txdekeontxdekeon Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree.
    I was in a dungeon yesterday with a rogue that rolled need on everything
    AND would stop in the middle of battle to open chests and profession nodes(he opened EVERY profession node)
    Unfortunately with pugs, I think you have to

1. Understand that in almost every pug there is someone that rolls need on everything.
    2. Roll need on everything yourself so that you at least have a chance of making enough dough to buy the gear that you do need.
    3. Understand that if you only roll need on the items you actually need you get a lot less out of the dungeons.

FWIW I only roll need on the items for my character OR any screen that pops up during battle(because I hate that) and I pass on anything else. I also notice that the people that roll need on everything leave the dungeon with a lot more loot than I.
  • txdekeontxdekeon Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ninja looting is just as bad in subscription games.
  • minorchordminorchord Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    krewlty wrote: »
    Some players are either too selfish or too lazy to use the need/greed/pass system intelligently.

Why aren't class specific rare drops from boss battles restricted to the class that uses said item?

Got the TR boots to drop off of the final boss in Cloak Tower after 4 runs and they were taken by a CW who decided it was easy enough to just roll need and ignore chat. Second time I've seen issues with toxic players causing problems with public group experiences already.

There's also the roll need on everything because the game lets me people. The whole roll system needs an upgrade or makeover.

Can someone explain how the need/ greed roll works? I guess pass is pretty obvious. All along I thought need meant it goes to whichever class uses the gear, and greed is to keep; but seems from this post like that's totally the wrong idea??
  • nagisannagisan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lost a pure weapon upgrade on my GWF to a rogue....luckily he had just spammed need because we were still fighting mobs and he couldn't see the screen......he was more than happy to give it to me after the fight though.

That being said, the problem with limiting drops to the classes that can use them (so a CW can't roll 'need' on an item that has a TR requirement) is those classes start to feel an entitlement to those items. They know nobody else can really oppose them if they roll need (save for multiple classes in the same dungeon), so they roll need just to guarantee they get the item.

Unfortunately we either put up with that, or we put up with people being able to roll need on anything even if they can't use it.

Minorchord: Items go to whoever has the highest need roll, if no one clicked need it goes to the highest greed roll.

Currently anyone can click need on any item. In a perfect society, only those who plan on equipping the item should click need, everyone else should click greed (unless they flat out do not want the item, then they can pass). Unfortunately, people are too rude to do that most of the time.
  • krewltykrewlty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are things we can do to make up for the system being easy to exploit, this is true. But sometimes when you have enough time to run a dungeon and your friends aren't online. But the issue could be helped in a huge way with just a little development support.

You should not be able to roll on rare or better valued loot that specifically states that it is used by another class and NOT your own. This would create a situation where if no one needs the loot, like actually needs it not just rolls need, then greed is the best you can roll. To complete the fix, if you are already holding a duplicate of the item being rolled on, on your character or in your inventory you should only be able to roll greed or pass. And that would make the public grouping experience better instantly.
  • baburmisbaburmis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i never actually stopped to think about it... but ... why is there identification system at all in this game? :o There are no random stats at all, so why use system that only games like diablo/poe benefit from?
  • vdinh037vdinh037 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Last two dungeons I've run, lost all my class loot (guardian fighter) to a rogue and a wizard. I hate tanking dungeons for dumbass dps classes to roll need on literally every single drop. Time to join a guild and stop tanking pugs I guess.

It's ALWAYS the Rogues and CWs, I wonder what kind of people are playing them.
    edited May 2013
    baburmis wrote: »
    i never actually stopped to think about it... but ... why is there identification system at all in this game? :o There are no random stats at all, so why use system that only games like diablo/poe benefit from?

I agree.....at the very least all items that need to be rolled on should be auto-identified......if you have 3 TR's in a group and a blue dagger drops they are all going to roll need on it unless they are running lower level content because none of them really know whether or not they will need the item, they have to assume that it MIGHT be better than their item, but cannot know until it is identified.
  • krewltykrewlty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @baburmis I'm not trying to be negative in my answer but the only reason seems to be so that they can sell identification scrolls for currency and promote real life money spending in a round about way. I suppose there is a small bit of role playing involved in finding an item you don't understand yourself, but learn to use later. But I think the decision was made for the first reason.
  • jaguar74jaguar74 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why loot can't be individual instead of this roll system? That's why I want all my active compenions to join me for dungeons, not people.
    Why do I have to be 6 levels over to compleet dungeons on my own with one healer compenion?
    This roll system discurage me to join any group.
  • xerokaiser0xerokaiser0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nagisan wrote: »

That being said, the problem with limiting drops to the classes that can use them (so a CW can't roll 'need' on an item that has a TR requirement) is those classes start to feel an entitlement to those items. They know nobody else can really oppose them if they roll need (save for multiple classes in the same dungeon), so they roll need just to guarantee they get the item.

What's the problem with that? I don't care if another class wants an item that is utterly useless to me.
    edited May 2013
    jaguar74 wrote: »
    Why loot can't be individual instead of this roll system? That's why I want all my active compenions to join me for dungeons, not people.
    Why do I have to be 6 levels over to compleet dungeons on my own with one healer compenion?
    This roll system discurage me to join any group.

That's a very good point as well......white items are already individualized (that is, the white items you see are only seen by you), why can't they maybe reduce the normal mob drop rates of items above white, but each item dropped is dropped for a specific player. Then bosses they could work in rarer drops that are already identified and need to be rolled on.
    What's the problem with that? I don't care if another class wants an item that is utterly useless to me.

Giving up all chances of a piece of loot that might sell on the auction house because your character can't use it is okay? I'm not saying either one of the things I said is a lesser evil than the other, but class-specific items shouldn't be reserved for those classes when it comes to rolling unless it is a really rare item that can't be sold to other players.
  • highlandglenhighlandglen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Im getting sick of this too people needing on stuff they cant even equip, and yea some fine points are made about ID why bother ID gear that has set stats its silly.

Only rolling for your own class might work if they allowed the random class to role only if there is no suitable class to make that roll.
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've never had a problem with someone rolling need on something I wanted without them doing it throughout the whole dungeon (which usually lead to me leaving or them getting kicked) and that's happened one time. Again I'm only talking about class specific gear, such as it states their class couldn't use it.

Everything else (rings, amulets, belts, etc) that have no class restriction are pretty much free game. The way they designed the game mechanics everyone pretty much needs just about everything unless they already got it (and even then for jewelry there's things like companions which in the case of Ioun Stones are basically 3 more character gear slots). I still use DPS gear on my tank just to keep threat and without it I can't hold threat at all.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • radiodreadradiodread Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, this is a big problem. The Neverwinter community is quickly devolving into a inconsiderate sespit(?) of greed. I ran my first two epic dungeons last night with 3 other friends. In both instances, the pug that we picked up from the queue system rolled need on every item that dropped be it green, blue, purple, profession materials, enchantment shards, etc. Every roll was need.

Restrict the need roll function to items that are useable and not profession items.
  • trinityvtrinityv Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been lucky enough not to have run with a random group that "needs" everything, YET, but I agree that a system change has got to be in the works. There needs to be a priority system, and the identification issues gotta be hammered out. I'm probably too nice to a fault, but when I "need" roll and the item turns out to be something I will just have to throw into the auction house anyway, I make sure the second highest need-roll gets that item. A little "lol ty" makes me feel better than some silver or diamonds.

Alas, that seems to be one character attribute a majority of Neverwinter lacks. It's the same struggle we had in WoW, and honestly, enabled dishonor in the game breeds contempt throughout the community. I would love to be able to have that choice of trusting strangers and not be guild-bound. Even if they're forced to be trustworthy.
  • nomasophnomasoph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First dungeons i made i used the rules i always use in when pugging :
    - greed on everything
    - need on what i'm interested in

The result : every time, and i mean every time when we finished the dungeon i had no loot whatsoever. Nothing to sell to make some money, nada.

So now i use these rules :
    - if i can use it, even if i don't need it, i roll need.
    - if i can't use it, i roll greed.
    - if it's a boss loot i don't need/not my class, i pass.

And guess what, i finally have things to sell and can restock my potions with no stress.

But to jump back on the main topic, those guys/girls "who don't care" and would roll need on their moms make a bad name for themselves and are easily spotted. The only thing is that they just don't care.

And don't bring the "rp side of the rogue" on the table. When you pug a dungeon, you should leave this side of rp'ing outside.
    Keep this type of rp for when you are with your friends.
  • minorchordminorchord Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, okay. So greed/pass roll unless it is a usable item. Thanks for the explain. :)
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A combination of what I see and think is acceptable, thus far is this;

Class Specific Blue/Epic :: That class can need on it. Exception being, already have it? Greed so all can share in chance of selling it.
    Class Specific Green :: That class can need on it, who cares.

Non-Specific Green or Blue :: Determine if all should need, or greed. If someone is not communicating, all need.

Materials :: Need across the board

Class Specific Blue/Purple if class isn't represented :: All need for chance to sell or use on an alt, companion.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vdinh037 wrote: »
    It's ALWAYS the Rogues and CWs, I wonder what kind of people are playing them.

Apparently 80% of the user base lol.. So it is easy to fall into this category I reckon.

Back to subject. I am running 4 classes. It would gratify me to just Need everything and pass it on to my other toon but my generation had morals beaten into them and it just feels wrong. If it ain't green it gets the Shift+2.

Cannot control a PuG and if you are actually catching someone getting a need on a non-class grab then you are paying a lot more attention than I usually do, heh..

Making all Dungeon drops BOP would help, but then if you DID grab it by accident, then you are totally out of luck. Best solution would be to give each player in a group their own loot.
    the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • geostrykegeostryke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    minorchord wrote: »
    Can someone explain how the need/ greed roll works? I guess pass is pretty obvious. All along I thought need meant it goes to whichever class uses the gear, and greed is to keep; but seems from this post like that's totally the wrong idea??

Someone has probably answered this by now, but it seems that some people even the ones that started this thread don't know. Need is supposed to be used if an item is an upgrade that you can use. NOT only your character but ALSO your companions. If you don't know what items your companions can use and are just rolling need on everything that drops than you are just greedy and should get kicked from any group that has any sense until you start learning how to play with others and have some respect for the people that are helping you do a dungeon/quest. Greed is for anyone to use and should be used if you have room for items in your inventory, if you know that you don't have much room and are probably going to drop the item anyways if something else comes along that you may be able to use, than you should pass on the stuff that you cannot use.
  • theisingguytheisingguy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    Because then it would destroy part of market of high level stuff
  • ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    The best solution to greedy players i think is a vote among group members for loot attribution of purples. There is very few in an instance so it should not slow much the progression. You all vote on who should get the loot and it would prevent single abuser to ninja ... on the other hand it would promote group abusers but this is another story ... If they have enough players in group to rig the votes they can take it since its basically their group ... Part-premade should be flagged and if you dont want to risk it you should be able to Q up for a pure random group.

Its hard to come up with a good fix for actual player greed. If you get reserved loot for drops of you class you would get each purple drops of an item as long as you sold the previous ones so people would end up selling the purple they get since they would get the drop the next time around. Those behaviours are known to the devloppers and i think they prefer to wash their hand off of it. Greedy players get known and you deal with them as you see fit.

I would remove unidentified green from rolls (they are worthless since people usually pass on them) and i would not prevent other players to loot a chest until all items in it are rolled for (it can be annoying to drop behind the group to have your share because someone is letting the loot time out).
  • xerokaiser0xerokaiser0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nagisan wrote: »
    Giving up all chances of a piece of loot that might sell on the auction house because your character can't use it is okay?

As opposed to losing out on an upgrade because some clown wants to auction it off or vendor it? Yeah.

That's the whole point of a "need or greed" system anyway right? The people who can actually use the gear getting priority over those who are just going to sell it? There's plenty of ways to make money without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> someone out of their upgrades.