test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please fix Chill

bilewormbileworm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Library
What good is "stacking chill" with your cold based spells when all you'll get from it is ZERO STACKS OF CHILL on your target at the end?!!

The system is impossible to use for two reasons... 1) the debuff visual on the enemy health bar is so ridiculously small, it's very hard to see how many chill stacks are active. 2) When you do finally put max stacks on a target and you can actually SEE they are frozen... they all of a sudden have ZERO stacks of Chill on them!

Please explain how it is that someone frozen solid could possibly not have a Chill (movement imparing) effect on them?

So unlike Arcane spells, which need no micromanagement whatsoever, we who hope to use cold based spells and stack Chill to gain the extra damage from feats, have to be able to STOP ADDING CHILL at precisely the right moment, in order to get ONE spell off with the additional damage... then start building Chill all over again?!

Chill-based builds will do damage by pure dumb *** luck. Arcane will be run by 99% of the CW population, because stacking Chill will effectively remove Chill, thereby making the feats revolving around Chill stacks pretty much worthless.

Please fix this so when a target is frozen solid, they maintain max Chill stacks on them until the ice breaks and they can move again. That is the most obvious and logical course of action in my mind.

Thanks.
Post edited by bileworm on

Comments

• Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I think the current chill mechanic needs a bit of a rework, it's kind of a PITA.

I also hate how short duration chills are, if you can't constantly spam chill and have to dodge or do something else then lose all your stacks all of a sudden it just blows. Should atleast give the last trait in the CC tree longer chill duration or something.

The part of them losing chill on freeze isn't as bad as you'd think considering there is a t2 feat in the dmg tree that gives cold spells 20% more dmg against NON-chilled targets (although it's currently not working on most skills lmao).

Then there's the issue of bosses not getting chill affects for the feats that REQUIRE them to do anything. I really hope they get it situated soon.
  • Options
    anglachel87anglachel87 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Chill for now is really disappointing. If I got it well it does nothing but stack to 6 to give you 2 secs of cd if the target is attacked (vanishing because otherwise you can keep the target frozen 24/7). I'm using Frost spells for some damage and aoe, focusing on Arcane ones for both CC and real damage.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What they need to do is add an effect that lets us consume our chills in order to trigger a freeze effect. That way we can decide when to chill freeze someone and when not to. This would fix alot of the problems i think, and keep current system in place.
  • Options
    godkingazraelgodkingazrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, only Ray of Frost and Icy Terrain can Freeze people.
    All the other cold powers just add stacks.

Having Frozen Targets count as being at 6 stacks would make sense though.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope the CC tree gets some love, it is extremely underwhelming atm, especially that last feat.

Chilling Cloud is pretty dissapointing as well honestly.
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, only Ray of Frost and Icy Terrain can Freeze people.
    All the other cold powers just add stacks.

Doesn't Chill Strike also freeze targets? I use it all the time for this purpose, and it's working according to the descriptive text...
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is also beside the fact that enemies that are immune to CC/Movement Impairing don't gain stacks of Chill at all.

While Chill stacks granting movement impair makes sense, the damage synergies mean they should make this be two be different effects.
  • Options
    nuitaransnuitarans Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    kwsapphire wrote: »
    Doesn't Chill Strike also freeze targets? I use it all the time for this purpose, and it's working according to the descriptive text...

Chill Strike is a stun, it does not remove your chill stacks.
    umbaglo wrote: »
    This is also beside the fact that enemies that are immune to CC/Movement Impairing don't gain stacks of Chill at all.

While Chill stacks granting movement impair makes sense, the damage synergies mean they should make this be two be different effects.

What would be great is if "Immune to CC" made them immune to the control aspects of the chill stacks, but still allowed them to be there. It's hard to swallow when I am fighting something that I not only cannot control, but also suffer a massive damage nerf.
  • Options
    nuitaransnuitarans Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    What they need to do is add an effect that lets us consume our chills in order to trigger a freeze effect. That way we can decide when to chill freeze someone and when not to. This would fix alot of the problems i think, and keep current system in place.

You can already do that. Just don't use Ray of Frost or Frozen Ground and they won't freeze and consume your stacks.
  • Options
    katszckatszc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My rotation in pvp, that works quite well.

Ray of Frost until 3 stacks>Ray of enfeeblement>Ray of Frost additional stacks>Chill Strike>Ray of Frost for the freeze>repeat

That's the highest dmg outputting rotation I could find on my still low lvl CW.
  • Options
    gugelsangugelsan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nuitarans wrote: »
    What would be great is if "Immune to CC" made them immune to the control aspects of the chill stacks, but still allowed them to be there. It's hard to swallow when I am fighting something that I not only cannot control, but also suffer a massive damage nerf.
    i believe to do that, ull need more encounter slots xD... beside that means they have to set up a "chilling effect" and a "freeze effect" so that way, bosses can get the effect but are immune to freeze... that would be nice... on the other hand having another stun will make cw quite op... itd be nice to see some dmg fixes on some aoe skills... the lighting one, and ray of something (not the one that freezes) im lvl 40 and im doing 300 dmg with the lighting aoe and 500 dmg with the ray, on the other hand im doing 1k dmg with magic missile, 1900 sudden strike, over9000 with chill strike... and force choke does considerable dmg too, but the other skills seems quite crappy

PS: sorry for my bad english... havent used it in quite a while
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Ahh, the difference has now been noted. Thanks!
    gugelsan wrote: »
    itd be nice to see some dmg fixes on some aoe skills... the lighting one, and ray of something (not the one that freezes) im lvl 40 and im doing 300 dmg with the lighting aoe and 500 dmg with the ray, on the other hand im doing 1k dmg with magic missile, 1900 sudden strike, over9000 with chill strike... and force choke does considerable dmg too, but the other skills seems quite crappy

Unfortunately I don't have my notes in front of me to provide hard numbers, but I agree with the sentiment here. I will have to post again when I have my data so I can back up my thought process. Generally speaking it seems like the at-will and encounter powers do more damage, either more DPS or more damage per time invested, than the dailies. (i.e. you have to invest a lot of time to fill your action bar, at which point you can execute a daily that may only deal marginally more damage than your encounter powers, which are available far more frequently.)

However, Ray of Enfeeblement is not supposed to be a "damage spell", so I am okay with there being low-to-no damage on that power. It's a debuff; the fact that it does any damage at all is icing on the cake. (I didn't even know it did damage.. does it really do damage?) UNLESS you mean Icy Rays, but I don't remember how early that's available. I wasn't overly impressed with Icy Rays TBH, but I will do a lot more testing before I respec.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    bilewormbileworm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013

All of the testing I've done indicates that once frozen and rendered immobile, the target has 0 stacks of chill. They remain at 0 stacks until unfrozen and can once again move around, at which point you can begin stacking chill again.

EDIT: I misread your post... thought you meant Ray of Frost, not Chill Strike. My mistake ;)
  • Options
    whitedemonkingwhitedemonking Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bileworm wrote: »
    What good is "stacking chill" with your cold based spells when all you'll get from it is ZERO STACKS OF CHILL on your target at the end?!!

The system is impossible to use for two reasons... 1) the debuff visual on the enemy health bar is so ridiculously small, it's very hard to see how many chill stacks are active. 2) When you do finally put max stacks on a target and you can actually SEE they are frozen... they all of a sudden have ZERO stacks of Chill on them!

Please explain how it is that someone frozen solid could possibly not have a Chill (movement imparing) effect on them?

So unlike Arcane spells, which need no micromanagement whatsoever, we who hope to use cold based spells and stack Chill to gain the extra damage from feats, have to be able to STOP ADDING CHILL at precisely the right moment, in order to get ONE spell off with the additional damage... then start building Chill all over again?!

Chill-based builds will do damage by pure dumb *** luck. Arcane will be run by 99% of the CW population, because stacking Chill will effectively remove Chill, thereby making the feats revolving around Chill stacks pretty much worthless.

Please fix this so when a target is frozen solid, they maintain max Chill stacks on them until the ice breaks and they can move again. That is the most obvious and logical course of action in my mind.

Thanks.

i somewhat disagree, there is a passive /feat that gives 20% more cold damage when at 0 stacks, on the other hand you get 3*6=18 for 6 (from powers) and 9 from feat so really there isn't much difference and them doing nothing helps. tho chill durring would be nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    some may have gotten in by luck, but others got in through talent
    phase 2 player/design a skill winner ~ WhiteDemonKing
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i somewhat disagree, there is a passive /feat that gives 20% more cold damage when at 0 stacks, on the other hand you get 3*6=18 for 6 (from powers) and 9 from feat so really there isn't much difference and them doing nothing helps. tho chill durring would be nice

There's also a feat that boosts the damage on your cold powers based on your stacks of arcane. I took both that feat, and the one that gives bonus damage from cold spells if the target has 0 stacks of chill.

I don't know if I'm "less effective" than someone who went all-arcane or all-chill, but these two feats let me mix and match the arcane, cold, and spell storm powers that I want, without making me feel like I'm disadvantaging myself by doing so.

My default set-up is to have Chill Strike in TAB (so it becomes AoE), Entangling Force, Sudden Storm, and Conduit of Ice as my other encounter powers, (Storm Column?) the storm at-will and Magic Missile, and my dailies are Ice Knife, and either Ice Storm or the storm daily. I sometimes switch out Entangling Force for Ray of Enfeeblement, sometimes Conduit of Ice gets replaced with "the bowling ball" (endless avalanche), and sometimes I throw the self-shield in one of those spots instead. While I have other powers at my disposal, these are the ones I go with most often. As you can see it's a really good mix of arcane, chill, and storm powers.

Again, I may be totally gimping myself with this play-style, but at least I'm having fun! :D
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kwsapphire wrote: »
    There's also a feat that boosts the damage on your cold powers based on your stacks of arcane. I took both that feat, and the one that gives bonus damage from cold spells if the target has 0 stacks of chill.

I don't know if I'm "less effective" than someone who went all-arcane or all-chill, but these two feats let me mix and match the arcane, cold, and spell storm powers that I want, without making me feel like I'm disadvantaging myself by doing so.

My default set-up is to have Chill Strike in TAB (so it becomes AoE), Entangling Force, Sudden Storm, and Conduit of Ice as my other encounter powers, (Storm Column?) the storm at-will and Magic Missile, and my dailies are Ice Knife, and either Ice Storm or the storm daily. I sometimes switch out Entangling Force for Ray of Enfeeblement, sometimes Conduit of Ice gets replaced with "the bowling ball" (endless avalanche), and sometimes I throw the self-shield in one of those spots instead. While I have other powers at my disposal, these are the ones I go with most often. As you can see it's a really good mix of arcane, chill, and storm powers.

Again, I may be totally gimping myself with this play-style, but at least I'm having fun! :D

That's actually not very different from me although I use steal time in place of conduit for the instant Arcane Mastery stacks/control aspects. I definitely didn't feel that having arcane mastery buff cold spells was a waste for only two spells (chill strike/ice knife) as those are my two hardest hitting spells anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    That's actually not very different from me although I use steal time in place of conduit for the instant Arcane Mastery stacks/control aspects. I definitely didn't feel that having arcane mastery buff cold spells was a waste for only two spells (chill strike/ice knife) as those are my two hardest hitting spells anyway.

I totally forgot about Steal Time. I have 3 ranks in it, but have only done very minimal testing with it.

I need to spend more time with the targeting dummies this weekend!
    qtPt2I