test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sure Strike and Reaping Strike

asaviosasavios Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I don't understand why the feats regarding those two At-wills were placed in their respective Paragon trees.

Why do Sentinels (the GWF's aoe tank path) have to build thread using Sure Strike, a single target Power (well, not exactly single target but with an extremely narrow hitbox)?

Why do Destroyers (the GWF's striker path) have to use Reaping Strike when they don't even gain the benefit of increased Determination since they aren't supposed to tank?

I would like the feats regarding those two At-wills to switch places in their respective Paragon trees. With minor changes obviously. Something like:

Sentinel path:
Grudge Style
Reaping Strike now generates 5/10/15/20/25% additional threat and grants 3/6/9/12/15% Defense while charging up.

Destroyer path:
Executioner's Style
Sure Strike now has an extra 1/2/3/4/5% chance to Crit and has 5/10/15/20/25% increased critical severity.

What do you think?
/discuss
Post edited by asavios on

Comments

• vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    asavios wrote: »
    I don't understand why the feats regarding those two At-wills were placed in their respective Paragon trees.

Why do Sentinels (the GWF's aoe tank path) have to build thread using Sure Strike, a single target Power (well, not exactly single target but with an extremely narrow hitbox)?

Why do Destroyers (the GWF's striker path) have to use Reaping Strike when they don't even gain the benefit of increased Determination since they aren't supposed to tank?

I would like the feats regarding those two At-wills to switch places in their respective Paragon trees. With minor changes obviously. Something like:

Destroyer path:
    Executioner's Style
    Sure Strike now has an extra 1/2/3/4/5% chance to Crit and has 5/10/15/20/25% increased critical severity.

Sentinel path:
    Grudge Style
    Reaping Strike now generates 5/10/15/20/25% additional threat and grants 3/6/9/12/15% Defense while charging up.

What do you think?
    /discuss

No. We will run into serious threat issues if that change were to hit live. We need the increased ST damage from Sure Strike plus the increased threat on crit if we are to hold a boss on us against a party.
  • elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think it's fine now, although I'm not happy with the state (or lack) of threat generation on the GWF as of BW4. This kind of a change would only further complicate the current Sentinel threat situation. I'd prefer that Cryptic balance what they have already implemented, as opposed to making drastic changes at this time.
    | Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
    | Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am OK with how things are now. My biggest issue is with the complete and utter failure of

Intimidation
    Daring Shout and Come and Get it generate 5/10/15/20/25% additional threat and now do 1/2/3/4/5% of your Power as damage.

This needs to go to a minimum of

Intimidation
    Daring Shout and Come and Get it generate 10/20/30/40/50% additional threat and now do 5/10/15/20/25% of your Power as damage.

This is the kind of on demand threat and damage output that we need to be a viable 2nd defender and still not suck at damage output in the group. This would give us less AoE damage than any other encounters but more threat.
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    I'm waiting to see what the live Damage numbers are before I commit to the class. I'll try it out in Open Beta, and if the feats / abilities don't seem to do well, I may reconsider and role another role. Divine Cleric or Guardian Fighter or Trickster Rogue. Eventually I'll have 1 of each, but I'll only have 1 true main, and I'd love for it to be my GWF, but we'll see.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    silknight wrote: »
    I'm waiting to see what the live Damage numbers are before I commit to the class. I'll try it out in Open Beta, and if the feats / abilities don't seem to do well, I may reconsider and role another role. Divine Cleric or Guardian Fighter or Trickster Rogue. Eventually I'll have 1 of each, but I'll only have 1 true main, and I'd love for it to be my GWF, but we'll see.

Pretty much the way I feel about it as well. I am a bit torn between TR, DC, and GF if the GWF does not work out well. Likely I will go with GF though as it is the least populated and strongest solo class.
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    Pretty much the way I feel about it as well. I am a bit torn between TR, DC, and GF if the GWF does not work out well. Likely I will go with GF though as it is the least populated and strongest solo class.

I kind of like the DC, not hard to find work as a healer. :p Really depends on how broken the GWF is, is it worth the time to wait for it, invest AD and items, or better to go with another class that will be at least role balanced.
  • juansorianojuansoriano Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Re-post

I'm having trouble with the build of my GWF. Because I think my skills have different names. For example on the At Wills, I dont have Weapon Master Strike. I only have Reaping Strike, Wicked Strike, Sure strike. But I don't have Weapon Master Strike. Can anyone help me? I'm a Halfling GWF...

I'm really having a hard time leveling because I don't know where to put all my skill points at the moment. I'm level 12 already, and the guide from this GWF is really confusing because of the skill names. Please help me from level 1-60 skills on where I need to put them. Thanks

Thanks
  • lemonromeoolemonromeoo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Re-post

I'm having trouble with the build of my GWF. Because I think my skills have different names. For example on the At Wills, I dont have Weapon Master Strike. I only have Reaping Strike, Wicked Strike, Sure strike. But I don't have Weapon Master Strike. Can anyone help me? I'm a Halfling GWF...

I'm really having a hard time leveling because I don't know where to put all my skill points at the moment. I'm level 12 already, and the guide from this GWF is really confusing because of the skill names. Please help me from level 1-60 skills on where I need to put them. Thanks

Thanks
    do you want a drink with that?
    edited May 2013
    do you want a drink with that?

What do you mean by that?
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What do you mean by that?

I think he is just being a jerk. People are so unhelpful sometimes. I am having some similar problems as you.
  • nerddreamnerddream Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You get wms with level 30 =)
  • magusdddmagusddd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Re-post

Thanks

The skills you are looking for are higher level skills. The skills you don't see are lvl 30 or higher. Some of them are paragon path skills which you won't see until you pick a paragon path at lvl 30.
  • barthanbarthan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What ever happened to knock down? or Improved Knock down?
    edited May 2013
    The skills you are looking for are higher level skills. The skills you don't see are lvl 30 or higher. Some of them are paragon path skills which you won't see until you pick a paragon path at lvl 30.

darn it... So I don't have to level 3 my reaping strike xD.... Darn it is there any reset skills around here? I've leveled 2 my Reaping strike...
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No. We will run into serious threat issues if that change were to hit live. We need the increased ST damage from Sure Strike plus the increased threat on crit if we are to hold a boss on us against a party.

We're not supposed to hold bosses though right? Thats the GFs job. We don't need the threat because we need to run around behind everything and shred it from behind. The only thing I can see us needed threat for is to group everything together so we can hit it. Which is a good reason, but not to hold a boss on us. At least that my understanding.
    barthan wrote: »
    What ever happened to knock down? or Improved Knock down?

I don't exactly remember what it was, but I'm pretty sure its takedown now. Which is awesome but that quarter second or so it takes after you pop it can mean the difference between you getting hit and not getting hit or hitting or missing....especially in PVP. I was horrible with it in PVP, they're moving too fast and they delay is too big.
    darn it... So I don't have to level 3 my reaping strike xD.... Darn it is there any reset skills around here? I've leveled 2 my Reaping strike...

Don't worry about you have to spend the points to get the other stuff unlocked, you can't save them and you cant go to level 3 on anything until you spend 20 anyway. I think you will have two in just about everything in that tier anyway. I have two in that I think because I simply didn't have anywhere else to put a point.
  • shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't exactly remember what it was, but I'm pretty sure its takedown now. Which is awesome but that quarter second or so it takes after you pop it can mean the difference between you getting hit and not getting hit or hitting or missing....especially in PVP. I was horrible with it in PVP, they're moving too fast and they delay is too big.

Takedown/Flourish don't have to hit dead on to damage. As long as you cast the skill when you're near the opponent, if they move away, it will still hit. Notice how I said move and not dodge. Flourish seems to be more forgiving than Takedown, but that's why TD has a 4 second cooldown if you miss
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    These trees WILL be massively changed in the future, you'll notice that some of the trees, in all classes, offer benefits to the lone prestige class currently available, so when a new prestige class comes out, feats will need to be added/changed to account for the new skills.
  • epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    asavios wrote: »

Sentinel path:
    Grudge Style

Destroyer path:
    Executioner's Style

What do you think?
    /discuss

Reaping strike is simply trash. I used it until I hit level 5 and then never touched it again. Anything you have to charge up in combat needs to have a spectacular pay out. Reaping strike does not come close to such a thing by any means. In PvE it's stupid, in PvP it's a death sentence. Trash is trash. They need to rework this thing completely. Honestly, is there any other class that has a combat ability that has to be charged?
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    Reaping strike is simply trash. I used it until I hit level 5 and then never touched it again. Anything you have to charge up in combat needs to have a spectacular pay out. Reaping strike does not come close to such a thing by any means. In PvE it's stupid, in PvP it's a death sentence. Trash is trash. They need to rework this thing completely. Honestly, is there any other class that has a combat ability that has to be charged?

You're supposed to build determination while charging it. If they tweaked it so you either build determination twice as fast or something or added some sort or gard to it so you could gard and build determination then yeah it may be ok...but you're right in it current state I didn't use it. I even tried and didn't even see a chance in determination building.
  • epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    You're supposed to build determination while charging it. If they tweaked it so you either build determination twice as fast or something or added some sort or gard to it so you could gard and build determination then yeah it may be ok...but you're right in it current state I didn't use it. I even tried and didn't even see a chance in determination building.

Any damage you take will build determination so if the proposed "purpose" of Reaping Strike was to build determination, you can do the same thing by standing there, or by doing more effective attacks while stuff beats on you. Besides there are plenty of better mechanics that GWF can get to build determination.
    edited May 2013
    Don't worry about you have to spend the points to get the other stuff unlocked, you can't save them and you cant go to level 3 on anything until you spend 20 anyway. I think you will have two in just about everything in that tier anyway. I have two in that I think because I simply didn't have anywhere else to put a point.

So you mean I can rank 2 all the skills from level 1-30? And it doesn't affect my main skills from level 31-60?
  • vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    We're not supposed to hold bosses though right? Thats the GFs job. We don't need the threat because we need to run around behind everything and shred it from behind. The only thing I can see us needed threat for is to group everything together so we can hit it. Which is a good reason, but not to hold a boss on us. At least that my understanding.

Then they need to completely rework the Sentinel tree. There's zero reason to build such a tanky tree and not have us be tanks. And threat is a critical component to tanking.

As for "tanking adds", there's already a great tree for that. It's called the Destroyer path, it tanks adds by destroying them.
    edited May 2013
    Is there any reset skill npc here in this game?
    edited May 2013
    NW.jpg

Did I just f**cked up my build?