test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I want to play this game but....

fenixher0fenixher0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
None of the classes suit my play style so far. I'm waiting for Ranger/Hunter or Warlock to come out because those would really be my playstyle. Some could say the Control Wizard but unfortunately I just don't feel it with him. Any suggestions to help me get going?
Post edited by fenixher0 on

Comments

• birkelbirkel Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    U cant discard all the classes since you obviously dont have a lvl 60 yet... stick at it or find a new game. Dont complain over the class pool.
  • vylkervylker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Personally I found all the classes, awesome! Is it just me?
  • valkyryjavalkyryja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They've said more classes would be released after launch. A person's motivations for playing are their own. I don't think anyone can say anything to change your mind if you're not enjoying playing. Find something you like and go with it. There is plenty to do. The action combat, the Foundry, and RP is enough to keep me interested, among everything else the game has to offer. I find any game is more enjoyable with an active guild.
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    What is your playstyle? If it's ranged DPS, then the Control Wizard's your only realistic option at this point. If you don't like it, then there's not much that can be done about that...but it sounds like you didn't really play the class a lot, so you haven't really seen the full range of powers available to the Control Wizard. A lot of players are building them far less on the control side of things, but a lot more on damage.

Clerics also have ranged attacks, and clerics in this game are pretty attack-heavy - but I'm guessing you don't want to go near the healer/support class at all, even if our healer/support has teeth.

But if range as such isn't your thing, and you're willing to look at a melee class - what do you like in other games? What do you not like?
  • oioleihihuoioleihihu Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    birkel wrote: »
    U cant discard all the classes since you obviously dont have a lvl 60 yet... stick at it or find a new game. Dont complain over the class pool.

That sounds dumb, really...
    fenixher0 wrote: »
    None of the classes suit my play style so far. I'm waiting for Ranger/Hunter or Warlock to come out because those would really be my playstyle. Some could say the Control Wizard but unfortunately I just don't feel it with him. Any suggestions to help me get going?

Well mate, only thing you can do is wait, I, for instance, have a passion for necromancers and assassins on AD&D, which makes me, obviously, want those in here, and it isn't happening anytime soon, just for me to go forth with the assassin I would need to join an Assassin's Guild (In-game wise, if this game's going to respect how things work on D&D), have the prestige class system than go paragon after specializing on assassin, but I don't really know how D&D works nowadays, so that's a guess, AD&D differs in many ways, but whatnot, I've gone for rogue, obviously, and I'm having fun with it so far, tho it really bugs me to see only 1 paragon path, no prestige classes and no in-game guild quest lines, probably it'll never be like that, but what the hell, enjoy it as some sort of *another game which I cannot mention here because the tyrants who run these forums will delete my reply if I do" _____ - *insert the name here* and try to have fun...

Grey Wargen
    so much for so little, the world has too many dumb people, but wth? That's how they make money!
  • baloorbaloor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same problem with guild wars 2, none of the races/ classes, playstyle seems to fit, dont know why really, i just never felled connected to them. Dont have that problem with Neverwinter, playing wizard, and its good fun
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too want to play Ranger as that was what I was in the mid-90s on pnp. To pass the time while I wait for the Ranger to come to the game, I am currently playing a GWF. I also played a Trickster Rogue during closed beta. I had (and having) fun with both.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i hope they will add a lot more classes - but also more paragorn paths..that would also be an easy way to make the existing classes more diverse. I do not really understand tough how you can say that the ranger or warlock fit your playstile better when in fact we didnt have the chance to play them and thus know nothing about their playstyle.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited May 2013
    Ranger is going to be melee from what I hear
  • fearthemajorfearthemajor Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013

what!? Melee? a ranger can melee of course, but a ranger is supposed to excel at "ranged" combat, unless its Aragorn or Chuck Norris then they can do what ever they want ;)

why do I feel like I have had this conversation before :confused:
    edited May 2013
    ranger melee? maybe iam missing something but doesnt the name "Ranger" indicate its a distant fighter? bow and arrows? Btw iam dutch, so maybe iam wrong :)
  • hamukochanhamukochan Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rangers in DnD use melee. They were originally based on Aragorn but possibly influenced later by Drizzt Do'Urden. They can dual wield non-dagger weapons, like scimitars.
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    Rangers in D&D can be archers or melee fighters. One of the most well-known characters from the D&D lore is Drizzt, and he's a two sword-wielding ranger.

baloor: D&D's use of the word "ranger" to describe a character class comes from Tolkein's use of it in Lord of the Rings. Aragorn is a ranger. Here, "range" doesn't refer to distance. It refers to a wanderer, a traveller, or a warden. In some countries, the people who look after parks and nature reserves are called park rangers.

There's currently stuff in the game files that confirms the next two classes are most likely Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock. And that's Archer Ranger, because one of the files people have found is the character class icon. It has a bow on it.

So that's going to be a long distance attacker, unless you think our ranger friends are going to run up to people and start stabbing them in the face with arrows. Wait...actually, that would be awesome.
    edited May 2013
    thanks for explaining that to me.
    edited May 2013
    I guess I should clarify; range does mean distance, but in this case it means someone who travels over that distance. Not someone who fights at a distance. Apologies for any confusion.
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »
    I guess I should clarify; range does mean distance, but in this case it means someone who travels over that distance. Not someone who fights at a distance. Apologies for any confusion.

Its not confusing, so no apologies needed, i (for some reason) read ranger as a distance fighter, not bothering to think outside the box :) i can blame world of warcraft for that i suppose
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always took "Ranger" to mean one who patrols/scouts/protects a "range" - as in a territory, (which typically means forests in the usual medieval settings of D&D).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Bite your tongue!
    FFS. YES Rangers CAN dual wield. But they're first and foremost expert Marksmen. **** Aragorn, the Dunedain were rangers, they used melee weapons but the bow was their primary weapon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_of_the_North
    If they introduce a melee only Ranger I'm done.
    And yes, I know you don't give a ****, I'm just saying.

Edit: Furthermore you dual wielding fans already have rogues. Where as people who want to rain death upon their enemies with bows and arrows don't have ****.

As a compromise the initial Ranger should be bow only. Later on they can be expanded to dual wield *insert weapon here* with a new paragon path. And everyone is happy.

I'm never gonna stop this rant. The Ranger may very well be someone who protects a range instead of the word meaning a ranged fighter. But I honestly don't see why that would make them a melee instead of a ranged fighter.

Disregard this. I just read Acylion's posts. Should learn to read everyone's post before I go on a rant...but then it wouldn't be a rant.
  • winddancer42winddancer42 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try something new? In every game I've played in the past I have always been the tank, this time I decided to try the CW and i'm loving it.
  • rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    While I'm enjoying my control Wizard I will drop it in a split second for a Necromancer, Paladin or Ranger. I'm not a fan of the current classes either. I think the naming also hurts them a little.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bite your tongue!
    FFS. YES Rangers CAN dual wield. But they're first and foremost expert Marksmen. **** Aragorn, the Dunedain were rangers, they used melee weapons but the bow was their primary weapon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_of_the_North
    If they introduce a melee only Ranger I'm done.
    And yes, I know you don't give a ****, I'm just saying.

Edit: Furthermore you dual wielding fans already have rogues. Where as people who want to rain death upon their enemies with bows and arrows don't have ****.

As a compromise the initial Ranger should be bow only. Later on they can be expanded to dual wield *insert weapon here* with a new paragon path. And everyone is happy.

I'm never gonna stop this rant. The Ranger may very well be someone who protects a range instead of the word meaning a ranged fighter. But I honestly don't see why that would make them a melee instead of a ranged fighter.

Disregard this. I just read Acylion's posts. Should learn to read everyone's post before I go on a rant...but then it wouldn't be a rant.

Wow, umadbro?
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Except for the fact that Archer Ranger was found in the datamining and devs all but confirmed it. It also makes no sense to have another melee with three already and only one that is even sort of a ranged damage, but not a striker like Archer Ranger.
  • demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, umadbro?

I was mad bro.
  • vengolavengola Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I know what you mean.

I normally play clerics, rangers or necromancers and none of the current classes fit the bill. Before someone says we have a cleric here no, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off, we have a priest, it is a fun class but is not what most DnD players see as cleric.

That said with some tinkering and imagination there are ways to spice what we have up and make it more interesting.

Tiefling warrior - demon knight, noble beast
    Tiefling Divine cleric - can be warlocky like a fallen/mutated priest or something
    Fat Goth tattooed priest - black pope, parody
    Trickster - assassin, pirate or witch hunter/generic fantasy hero
    Control wizard - ice control based lich or chaos mage if you use electric and chaos spells
    Elven trickster - guerilla fighter