test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please let us place working loot chests!

lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Cryptic,

Please allow Foundry authors to place at least a few lootable chests into our creations.

Make each chest come with guardians and limit the amount we can place if you are worried about exploits, but please let us have chests in dungeons!!
Post edited by lisau1974 on

Comments

• agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Could work if there were a limitation like "1 chest per 50 encounters, interactable after defeating at least 75% of them" or different.

But I agree, it's not in Foundry because of fear of exploits :/
  • visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Too easily exploitable.

so, do it in a way that is imposable to exploit "like give them a set value so you can only have a certain number on a certain sized map. just saying everything is too exploitable means we will never get new items :p sure things can be exploited "till you program it in a way that fixes the exploit"

to O.P. yeah I would like chest too, and skill based loot "like the ones you see that require Dungenerring to loot"
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • crimeapplecrimeapple Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe it can be a self funded chest, like if you put 10 gold in it, you can tell it to generate items that worth 1sliver for 1000 plays. And when the money run out all you need to do is put in another 10 gold if you want. Then there will be no exploits since the money comes from players themselves.
    Please try out my quest! I'll be grateful if you leave a review!
    Quest Tread
    "Flesh Forge Prelude: The Death of A Nasher" NW-DOVTSEIKQ
  • lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    forien69 wrote: »
    Could work if there were a limitation like "1 chest per 50 encounters, interactable after defeating at least 75% of them" or different.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Must beat X encounters before the chest can be looted.

Like I said, give the chest guardians that must be killed, which will then unlock it.

Many ways to get rid of the exploit part.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    forien69 wrote: »

then someone would put a mechanic that can easily kill the 50 encounters - maybe they throw in re-spawn-able guard encounters as well? Or get the mobs intentionally stuck behind objects do they can not attack you?
    visigoth18 wrote: »
    so, do it in a way that is imposable to exploit

Rarely, if any, is anything "imposable" or impossible to exploit. Someone will always find a way...
    lisau1974 wrote: »
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

Must beat X encounters before the chest can be looted.

Like I said, give the chest guardians that must be killed, which will then unlock it.

Many ways to get rid of the exploit part.

What is to stop me from spawning 2 or 3 elite re-spawn-able guard encounters that are friendly to you but enemies to the mobs... every few minutes to combat those enemies?

crimeapple wrote: »
    Maybe it can be a self funded chest, like if you put 10 gold in it, you can tell it to generate items that worth 1sliver for 1000 plays. And when the money run out all you need to do is put in another 10 gold if you want. Then there will be no exploits since the money comes from players themselves.

I like this idea the most. Unless, your map becomes wildly popular... and you get 100 people a day who play it... and you dont log in for a few days... some people may get upset when they get... nothing?
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »
    then someone would put a mechanic that can easily kill the 50 encounters - maybe they throw in re-spawn-able guard encounters as well? Or get the mobs intentionally stuck behind objects do they can not attack you?

You say like this were impossible now... exploits making mobs easily dying are other issue here.
  • adamjm85adamjm85 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's face it much of what we might have seen possible in the Foundry will never happen now that it has been used in such an exploitative way.

We all feel the limitations of what it can do and were looking forward to updates. I am confident we can kiss all that goodbye now.
  • lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    adamjm85 wrote: »
    Let's face it much of what we might have seen possible in the Foundry will never happen now that it has been used in such an exploitative way.

We all feel the limitations of what it can do and were looking forward to updates. I am confident we can kiss all that goodbye now.

I really hope not, since I wanted to bring a few of my campaigns to life.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Go to details, and find a treasure chest.

2. Make an objective where you interact with the treasure chest, and it drops a custom item. Have another objective require said item.

You can make your own items, my first quest even has the Eye of Gruumsh in it. Don't complain about lacking randomized junk loot because I get tons of that just occasionally testing my first map to see if they've fixed the music yet, and I even avoid 90% of the encounters..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dadeleviathandadeleviathan Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    To be fair, there is a very way to fix the exploitative possibilities of allowing authors to place their own loot: A placed loot budget.

There is no way to control the overall loot budget of the level, because the author could just make a room filled with 50 ogres, but a placed loot budget would allow for authors to place loot, thus allowing for a more seamless experience.

Let me explain what I mean by the budget.

Let's say that they give you a loot budget of, say, 10 (an arbitrary number, but easy to work with for this example) for a 'large' map. Let's say that '10' means that there can only ever be a max total of 10 silver worth of loot placed in each map. So for example, if you had only one loot chest, you could choose to fill with loot or gold up to the value of 10 silver. If you had 2 chest, the max for each would be 5 silver. 3 chests, 3 silver, 34 copper. 4 chests, 2 silver, 50 copper. So on and so forth.

This would enable authors to place loot, such as having quest givers hand the player pouches of gold, without giving them the ability to create loot or gold farming maps. Provided you have a large enough map, you could easily come up with 20-30 silver (maybe more depending on the difficulty and your level) in dropped loot from enemies alone, so adding another small loot budget would not disrupt any balance.
  • auricklemtauricklemt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It really wouldn't be hard to make it so that chests can't be exploited:

1) The total dungeon budget for chests would be based on room values. A large room, for example, would have a budget of 3, medium 2, small 1. Corridors no budget. Outdoor maps would have a budget based on the size of the map.

2) Each room can have only one chest, no matter what the budget is. Chests may not be placed in corridors. Outdoor maps would not allow chests to be placed within a certain distance of each other.

3) The contents of the chests are determined by the system, using an equation that factors in the average run time taken to complete the quest, the total number of encounters and the average difficulty of the encounters. However, it only factors in the mobs defeated by players.

4) Only quests eligible for the Daily Foundry reward will have functional chests. The time before that is used to calculate the values for 3, above.

5) Once the loot has been calculated, it is evenly split between all chests.

I wouldn't say that this would be totally exploit proof. But it would be pretty darned hard to abuse!
    Foundry Campaign: The Stars of Desolation
    Adapted from "The Desert of Desolation" by Tracy and Laura Hickman