test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP should not give Astral Diamonds and other suggestions

lwetlwet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Firstly, I think removal of the Daily PvP quest (for Astral Diamonds) would eliminate a lot of AFK farming in PvP.

And while I'm here, I think Neverwinter could be a competitive PVP game, but it needs:
- Modes: CTF, Defense/Assault, Summoner's Rift
- Small number of maps, with more detail
- Less open space in maps
- PvP Rankings
- World PvP server
- Spectator Mode
Post edited by lwet on

Comments

• Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lwet wrote: »
    Firstly, I think removal of the Daily PvP quest (for Astral Diamonds) would eliminate a lot of AFK farming in PvP.

And while I'm here, I think Neverwinter could be a competitive PVP game, but it needs:
    - Modes: CTF, Defense/Assault, Summoner's Rift
    - Small number of maps, with more detail
    - Less open space in maps
    - PvP Rankings
    - World PvP server
    - Spectator Mode

Ruining the rewards for PvP is not the answer to the AFK farmers. Fix the mechanics of the system, don't ruin the incentives.
  • Options
    xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep, remove daily AD and give some AD to best players.

Also agree with everything else OP said. Except world PvP, that is not needed IMO.
  • Options
    raal1raal1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    Ruining the rewards for PvP is not the answer to the AFK farmers. Fix the mechanics of the system, don't ruin the incentives.

Which mechanics need to be changed in order to fix the problem, in your opinion?
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epixcomix wrote: »
    Isn't 2 days of casual PvP for full pvp set incentive enough?
  • Options
    applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Daily AD is not the problem; BOE PVP rewards is.

People are not AFK'ing an hour for a garbage 4k AD reward.
    Such is why PVP weapons went from 500k to 50k in a matter of days now that everyone is AFK for them.
  • Options
    katszckatszc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea people farm the glory afk to buy pvp gear to sell on the auction house for astral diamonds and then sell that for cash.

Giving Gold farmers a different kind of crop so to say. Im already sick of how often I see AD and Gold seller spam. srsly, just make it BoP there is no need for BoE pvp gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    katszc wrote: »
    World PvP server, me like.

It sounds good in theory but really it'd just be a huge gank fest. More modes of play and maps, open world pvp server isnt going to happen. That isn't my opinion thats pretty much a fact since they are consolidating all shards to one after launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bind-on-Pickup PvP gear sounds like the best idea to get rid of AFK players.

The only incentive necessary for PvP should be competition, I think.

An open world PvP server (or maybe PvP instances?), gank fest or not, is fun for competitive players.
  • Options
    lucidveinlucidvein Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or just penalize those who AFK in a match flagging their account to be unable to queue for PVP for 30 minutes.
    Accounts accumulating 10+ flags in a week could perhaps lose their queuing for a week.

That way those of us who enjoy pvp can still enjoy rewards.. and we will be more likely to be matched with someone that doesn't AFK.
  • Options
    vyruzvetrixvyruzvetrix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a few suggestions:

1. Make PvP gear BoP. (No idea why it would be BoE in the first place).
    2. Award the player with the highest score some Astral diamonds, thus giving some sort of incentive to do well in a game.
    3. If a player does not damage an enemy player in a game, they get 0 honor.
    4. Give players the ability to mark people AFK, booting the marked player after a short time of inactivity or failing to enter combat / objectives.
  • Options
    maebeknotmaebeknot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lucidvein wrote: »
    Or just penalize those who AFK in a match flagging their account to be unable to queue for PVP for 30 minutes.
    Accounts accumulating 10+ flags in a week could perhaps lose their queuing for a week.

That way those of us who enjoy pvp can still enjoy rewards.. and we will be more likely to be matched with someone that doesn't AFK.

Right here. Problem mostly solved.
  • Options
    mreptmrept Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IIRC, STO had a nice system for their skirmishes (not exactly PvP, but...) where the top three players would get extra rewards on top of the standard participation reward.
    That could work in NW, albeit with a little tweaking so that AFKers with 0 score would get exactly that - nothing.

Encourage people to play the game instead of taking away our rewards for doing so. And, for the love of <insert fictional entity here>, give us a way of kicking idle people and add some sort of leaver's penalty for those who get kicked.
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    If your suggestion involves making AD harder to come by, you shouldn't bother posting it.
  • Options
    v1510n5v1510n5 Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    It's really amazing that Cryptic didn't foresee this kind of thing. It's a pretty big oversight on their part.

After 3 games with 2-3 AFK players in each one I've decided that if you can't beat them, join them. I'll be farming glory the easy way until this gets fixed.

The obvious fix has already been stated and it's really a no-brainer: a deserter debuff, a report system and a ban from PvP for repeat offenders. Otherwise people will continue to AFK farm until they get their full PvP gear.
  • Options
    rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Summoner's Rift please! MOBA game mode would make me a very happy camper.
    8.jpg
  • Options
    azuregateazuregate Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a few suggestions:

1. Make PvP gear BoP. (No idea why it would be BoE in the first place).

This wouldn't prevent players from afking.

The players prone to afking would still do it for:
    Effort free glory for gear (and even if they have all of it, if new gear is added the cycle repeats)
    Astral diamond dailies
    Effort free exp when leveling up

I'm sure you wouldn't propose removing all those rewards as well.

In the end, the legitimate players would be shafted with that approach just because of a handful of afkers.
    2. Award the player with the highest score some Astral diamonds, thus giving some sort of incentive to do well in a game.

The problem with this is that scores aren't really indicative of a player's actual contribution to the game. Defending a point from capture grants no points, but a guardian fighter rushing to protect his point each time a rogue tried to steal it would be hugely helpful to his team. Healing also gives less points than killing a player, yet a good cleric can make or break a game.

Unless you want a team of self centered players running around only trying to top the scoreboards instead of working to win the match, this isn't a good idea.
    3. If a player does not damage an enemy player in a game, they get 0 honor.
    4. Give players the ability to mark people AFK, booting the marked player after a short time of inactivity or failing to enter combat / objectives.
    v1510n5 wrote: »
    The obvious fix has already been stated and it's really a no-brainer: a deserter debuff, a report system and a ban from PvP for repeat offenders. Otherwise people will continue to AFK farm until they get their full PvP gear.

These are the most obvious solutions, although marking AFK may lead to abuse. Preferably there should be an innate timer, where if, within 2mins you do not deal damage, capture a point, or heal deficit health (not overhealing max health, to prevent spamming self heals), then you're removed from the match and given the deserter debuff mentioned above (not allowed to queue for PvP for X mins).

Repeated accrual of deserter debuff in a short time span could stack exponentially, further dissuading players from being afk in arenas.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Right now AFK farming is ruining PvP more than anything else in this game.

PvP needs players who are genuinely interested in playing, and I would gladly sacrifice all my legitimate PvP rewards if it meant less AFK farming.

I also see a new type of AFK farmer who doesn't sit in spawn, but rather wanders around the map being useless, disregarding capture points or fights.
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Just boot the afk player. I do it all the time especially if they just give up halfway through the match. No pikers in my group ever get their rewards.
  • Options
    firefly113firefly113 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    azuregate wrote: »
    These are the most obvious solutions, although marking AFK may lead to abuse. Preferably there should be an innate timer, where if, within 2mins you do not deal damage, capture a point, or heal deficit health (not overhealing max health, to prevent spamming self heals), then you're removed from the match and given the deserter debuff mentioned above (not allowed to queue for PvP for X mins).

Repeated accrual of deserter debuff in a short time span could stack exponentially, further dissuading players from being afk in arenas.

I agree that marking others as afk would pave the way to abuse. Although I think the two minute countdown should be extended if a player has spared a concerted effort to take a point, etc.

I like to defend points. I can occasionally sit for 2-3 minutes at a point I just captured to see if a loner tries to get it back. If more than one person tries to get it back, I can distract them all while my team takes other points. But this tactic takes time, and may mark me as an AFK simply because I'm guarding a point for a bit.

Having, say, a 5 minute countdown after capturing a point would allow me some time to watch it, but will poke me into getting back into the battle at the four minute mark. Which makes sense to me.
  • Options
    ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    I found out that PVP group leaders can actually kick people from the PVP matches and get replacement. I think leadership is attributed on the amount of Glory accumulated. So real PVPers are usually leaders from what i understand. So if you have members that are leaching just kick them out. Friendly warning beforehand might be nice but people that just give up dont belong in there. They want free AD they can send their leadership bots farm some. Also, glory generated by an AFK match is fairly poor. Those that farm PVP for rewards are usually just showing up during the events so you want real match play in between events. That is to my experience where the real matchs are fought.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just boot the afk player. I do it all the time especially if they just give up halfway through the match. No pikers in my group ever get their rewards.

Awesome. I'm going to do this.
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    BOE gear is the biggest problem. People will always AFK in PVP in all MMOs but it just makes it way worse when you can get BOE gear from it to sell.
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you go idle for 3 min or longer in a PVP match you should be flagged as AFK and kicked, if this happens three times you get a 30min ban from PVP (this will go up overtime for repeat offenders, 2nd offense fifteen min, etc.)

There needs to be a PVP ranking POINT system. Which tracks kills/assists/deaths/caps. Top PVPers should have their rank displayed alongside a symbol to show what position they are actually at. Top 10 or 20 should earn a stipend of AD that is generated from the AH posting fee and divided up amongst the top 20. This would happen once, daily.

Moar gametypes, domination is not enough. CTF IMHO would not be a good idea either.

Open world PVP instance please, with not just PVP but also boss spawns.. Come on lets get creative here, so many ways you could spin this..

Incentives for Guild wars, friendly compettiton is always fun.

Just a few ideas that would exponentially improve this games PVP methinks
  • Options
    djabolicdjabolic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    summoner's rift
    no! Nope! Nope! Nope!
  • Options
    theisingguytheisingguy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    Simply, if the amount of Damage done/ HP healed < 1000, give no reward and ban from PVP for a whole day