test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are in game services too expensive?

tokki31tokki31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What i noticed not to long after hitting level 60 is that in-game services (Respecing talents,unenchanting,etc..) are way expensive. Everyone wants to repec the talents every now and then but it looks like it cost an arm and leg just to do so. I know some people dont like there enchants they have on items but just to change it it cost you like 200k AD. I dont know about anyone else or if im just not catching on how to get these millions of AD but i get like 24k AD max for dailys. Because u can only refine that many rough AD a Day. It looks like the only other solid source of AD is Trade Broker. Which im sorry to say sucks because everythings value goes down by probaly 200k AD a day because of people undercutting ppl by 50k and they keep reposting the item to undercut ppl. Not to mention u cant even sell items for AD only for Gold. Not to mention gold is kind of useless(Golds only really for Pots and Medkits)not saying pots and medkits are useless. But come on Cryptic Prices are outrageous. Since AD is pretty much the main source of money, make some other way for ppl to obtain Astral Diamonds. Love the game but it seems Cryptic is money hungry. Simply because the only other way to make AD is selling Zen. This is just my opinion but COME ON LOWER PRICES!!!
Post edited by tokki31 on

Comments

• articulatefoolarticulatefool Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alternatively, you could pursue a higher paying job.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Paragraphs, the OP needs to learn to use them.

You forgot to note that praying hourly also generates astral diamonds but as far as it goes, Astral Diamonds aren't meant to be easily obtainable as they are meant to be an alternative means to get things you'd otherwise have to pay for. If they were too easy to get nobody would buy pay for things since they'd just get the AD things instead. The only reason to get pay for things would then be vanity only and it's unlikely an MMO could fund itself entirely off of vanity gear alone unfortunately.
  • pinkysansbrainpinkysansbrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Six bucks for a power respec is ridiculous, and upwards of 50,000 AD for a feat respec is also ridiculous. Champions Online is the last Cryptic game that truly got how to respec. In-game currency for ALL respecs, no cash shop tokens required. And it was fairly inexpensive in the long run. By the time you got around to wanting/needing a respec, you had more than enough to play around with various specs to see what felt good. Here, you screw up ONE power point placement and you're out six bucks or you just live with that accident.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You forgot to note that praying hourly also generates astral diamonds but as far as it goes, Astral Diamonds aren't meant to be easily obtainable as they are meant to be an alternative means to get things you'd otherwise have to pay for.

That would be true if it weren't for what the OP mentioned - a number of "basic services" run on AD as well. Removing enchantments & companion runes, appearance switching your armor (I've heard that's around 60k a pop at 60. Yay?), feat respec, etc. Yes, some of those are luxuries, but the basic charges for them still seem somewhat high. (I know I'd certainly be doing appearance changes at a pretty high rate, if they wouldn't bankrupt me inside a day or two.)
  • stringsestringse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    The store is a bit over priced, but I gladly pay for the mounts...etc I want because it is a good game.
  • tresp4ssertresp4sser Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a good game... but its pricing says "THIS GAME IS BEST OF DECADE". So I agree with OP.
  • dornstoneshielddornstoneshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Yes...everything is overpriced...as it is in Startrek.

Great games but their price structure is firmly in the "charge a very small portion of the players who can afford it so the vast majority can play for free" camp. Instead of reducing the prices to a more acceptable level and stopping people from buying everything in game.

In other words...charge a more reasonable amount for stuff (maybe $5 for a companion) and make that companion untradeable (maybe account bound) so that people had to pay to get it...but could afford to because it wasn't thirty freaking dollars.

As it stands, a few people with lots of money are supporting the game...then reselling zen items to the rabid players with more diamonds (and time to farm them) than sense. Kinda screws those of us with lives and middle of the road jobs who WANT to buy the cool stuff but can neither afford the ridiculous zen prices NOR the days of boring farming to get the items in game.
  • hardway01hardway01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    The store is a bit over priced, but I gladly pay for the mounts...etc I want because it is a good game.

30 bucks for a mount is stupid. I'm not even going to type out all the reasons why this game and its pricing is set way to high. Some people will pay it though. Just look at all those people who dropped 200 dollars on this FotM mmo. A vast majority of which will be on to the next one when it drops.
  • realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    That would be true if it weren't for what the OP mentioned - a number of "basic services" run on AD as well. Removing enchantments & companion runes, appearance switching your armor (I've heard that's around 60k a pop at 60. Yay?), feat respec, etc. Yes, some of those are luxuries, but the basic charges for them still seem somewhat high. (I know I'd certainly be doing appearance changes at a pretty high rate, if they wouldn't bankrupt me inside a day or two.)

To be fair, I had a hard time following all the things the OP was saying for first note in my reply which is that his/her post really needed paragraphs.

Yes, some basic services run on AD however I don't know if I'd say those prices are insane. 60K Astral Diamonds can be achieved in 2~3 days or a single idol can net 40K from a nightmare box which was a part of my point. I really don't think at 60 you're going to be switch armor appearance every day either or moving enchantments around that often since once you got most of the best stuff you're only really going to change when there is something better available to you... Overall no, I don't actually consider those services to be that excessive in price.
  • j0mberwakij0mberwaki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Plz 2 make all things free 4 me. We can all be super dragon knight warriors of infinite light and darkness, tbh.
    4895b885-3d65-48d2-9eb2-d940289d7be4_zps8e4ae678.jpg
    WTB Big-Giant Robot Camels, tbh...
  • edgeofthorns79edgeofthorns79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Monthly subs are still my preferred choice. Hell if its a good game and devs want 20 a month, ill pay it. But i hate the nickel and dime <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • dacovedacove Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not exactly sure why but still can't create new thread since I have had this account for over a year so spose this is good place as any. I am usually the last one to complain, however, I do feel for right now especially though that respec tokens are way too expensive. With all the bugs in the powers/feats not working right or at all for that matter sometimes.

Before anyone says it is beta and is bound to have issues, well if that's the case then why do I have to pay money/AD to try to test these things. Especially on my CW atm, alot of things on my CW just don't work at all like they should/advertise, and it is quite obvious. Even beyond testing, with these issues, you can tough it out and hope they finally fix them, and be a hinderance to your group having wasted feats/etc until then. Or you can pay and respec, then if/when they fix the issues, have to pay them again to respec back to what should worked in the first place.

Basically I think they should allow FREE respecs til the trees get sorted out and not so buggy/glitchy. Sucks to respec into something thinking it might be better just to find out it don't work at all, being stuck with it, or having to pay again to change it again. It's like getting a steak in a restaurant, ordering it well done, but waiter brings it out rare, and you either have to eat the bloody steak or pay for a second one, hoping they can get it right then.
  • bluemibluemi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mounts, bags and fashion stuff..ok sure... but a respec seems a little to far to me.
  • dacovedacove Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bluemi wrote: »
    mounts, bags and fashion stuff..ok sure... but a respec seems a little to far to me.

Typically I wouldn't have any issues with the cost of respecing as long as you knew what you were getting and that it was going to work, they do have to make money somehow anyways. My issue is the fact that it costs money/AD to in the current state of the trees. Everyone wants their spec to be good and the best for their playstyle/preference, problem is what you might want might not even work and be wasted points. There's alot of powers/feats that just aren't working with each other as advertised, as they should, or in some cases just not working at all. As well as obviously there's 0 way to test it out beforehand, once you drop the point into it, if it don't work, well too bad. Either stuck with it or gotta respec again.
  • mobukamobuka Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's keep it simple. Pricing is extreme in this game and over rated.
  • okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cryptic is charging way too much for their zen store, and will be losing money and players for it. they would make much more if they lowered them and just added more variety.
  • wesleyericwesleyeric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    Based on other games I've played, yeah, most of what they have is a little overpriced. Respecs and bags in particular need to be addressed, if not made accessible completely via AD by an in-game vendor in the first place. Mounts and the like I really have no issue with, though I would like to see them taken out of PVP due to the edge it gives those players. Same with Companions, really. Most of what I've seen is purely for convenience more than "Pay2Win" (aside from the mounts in PVP anyway), so nothing to complain about aside from the basics I mentioned above.

The biggest thing is that the Fashion portion of the cash shop isn't robust enough to be able to tell one way or the other, and that's the area I'd be most likely to spend money on. I've bought a few skins in LoL, for example, at about $5 apiece or $10 for a really nice skin. I feel that's a fairly reasonable amount to pay for the ability to customize your character to separate them from the crowd. Right now, though, there's not much aside from dyes and, what, three outfits? I'll make a judgement when they have more to offer in that regard.
    Echoes of Providence: A Campaign! NWS-DD6DRTTVH
    #Story #Combat #Exploration #Long #Solo