test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Future of the Foundry - Direct Quote from Craig Zinkievich COO of Cryptic

adamjm85adamjm85 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Players are players - they need rewards. They are extremely reluctant. Any player is extremely reluctant to play any piece of content in an MMO that does not give comparable rewards to any other content. If players think that this sort of questing is going to give them better XP than this questing then they're never going to player this, they will rarely ever play this content. The UGC rewards structure needs to be at least attractive as your core game content or nobody is going to play it.

In neverwinter we plan on rewarding players in the exact same manner as core quest content. From the enemies encounters that you see you will get the same XP drops and currencies that you do in the core game. At the end of the mission you will get the same XP and item resources that you do in the core Neverwinter game.
-Craig Zinkievich COO Cryptic Studios

This is a direct quote from a presentation he gave on Neverwinter, you can listen for yourself at 22:30~

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016471/User-Generated-Content-In-MMOs

I am very disappointed in the current state of the Foundry, mainly because I was incredibly invested in it and have already worked so hard on the content I have created. As it stands Foundry content is clearly not on equal footing with core game content, and as a creator that does hurt.

But because of this statement, because of this vision of what they want the Foundry to be, I'm going to wait it out and see whether Craig / Cryptic are true to their word.
Post edited by adamjm85 on

Comments

• lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only way they can do this without allowing the ogre in a box exploits is to award based on time and objectives.

I hope they get it figured out, because it's certainly not there now. I can finish 4 Foundry quests and gain a level in an hour, or gain two levels in an hour (at level 40) doing official content. It's not comparable.
  • foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, the STO Foundry has been out for years and they haven't added any of the promised functions there. As a matter fo fact, they rewrote the 'STO Upcoming Foundry Updates' leaving out some of the items stated in STO Foundry's early day. There was a real poo-storm a few years ago when PW first bought Cryptic from Atari, that there wouldn't be many updates to the Foundry because it doesn't make any money.

If PW decides the same for the NW Foundry, don't expect much more than there is now. I would really like to have a long relationship with the NW Foundry. I will use the excuse "Its still Beta" for awhile, but the STO Foundry can't use that excuse anymore. So we shall see if PW rhetoric is just more lip-service like they did in STO.
  • chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    The only way they can do this without allowing the ogre in a box exploits is to award based on time and objectives.

Sorry, but that is flat out wrong. The "ogre in a box" is fixed trivially easily by making mobs that can't hit the player invincible (MOST other MMOs do it this way and it's a simple enough thing to do in terms of code-requirements).

As for the cliff-exploit maps, that one is *EVEN EASIER* to fix without putting all sorts of game-breaking restrictions on Foundry content: Simply don't allow mobs that die from fall damage to give out XP.

Seriously, this stuff isn't rocket science. Both of these *REAL ACTUAL FIXES* (unlike this nerf, which doesn't fix anything) are trivially easy to implement.

So let's just drop this nonsense about how this is a good fix for these exploiters, because not only is not NOT EVEN a fix, the REAL FIXES are also EASIER to implement.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well this is odd my foundry mishes are giving crappy loot from the box just now.
  • vreyek11vreyek11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    adamjm85 wrote: »

I am very disappointed in the current state of the Foundry, mainly because I was incredibly invested in it and have already worked so hard on the content I have created. As it stands Foundry content is clearly not on equal footing with core game content, and as a creator that does hurt.

But because of this statement, because of this vision of what they want the Foundry to be, I'm going to wait it out and see whether Craig / Cryptic are true to their word.

Don't blame Cryptic. This is the direct result of players creating lame xp exploit quests that were about as fun as watching paint dry. I doubt this action by Cryptic is their long-term solution, but a band-aid. I for one was reporting every one of the exploit quests as I saw them, and they were popping up like weeds.

If Cryptic is to blame for anything it's underestimating the magnitude of idiocy certain segments of the MMO community are capable of.
    8.jpg
  • asmatiasmati Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -Craig Zinkievich COO Cryptic Studios

This is a direct quote from a presentation he gave on Neverwinter, you can listen for yourself at 22:30~

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016471/User-Generated-Content-In-MMOs

Was this said before or after players abused the option?

Were you one of those that abused the system?
  • asmatiasmati Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vreyek11 wrote: »
    Don't blame Cryptic. This is the direct result of players creating lame xp exploit quests that were about as fun as watching paint dry. I doubt this action by Cryptic is their long-term solution, but a band-aid. I for one was reporting every one of the exploit quests as I saw them, and they were popping up like weeds.

If Cryptic is to blame for anything it's underestimating the magnitude of idiocy certain segments of the MMO community are capable of.
    True.Story.
    *applause*
  • paddrickpaddrick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's easy, while they are figuring out what to do, put it back the way it was. Other characters leveling to 60 quick, do not in any way effect my gameplay or anyone else's for that matter and gold is worth nothing in this game, its all about diamonds.. At 60 if you don't have your friends on to dungeon with, you may want to run foundry, or even power level an alt in the foundry, since you already ran the content once. Who cares, honestly, it doesn't effect anyone but the person doing it...

If it stays the way it is, I can see people leaving as soon as any other game comes out to pull them away. I ran a toon to 60 in the first week in game content, hardly touched the foundry, but now I want to and it sucks with the nerf. The foundry can make or break the game, currently its breaking it and going to make people leave.

Sorry about the rant, just wanted to get it out there, I know many feel the same. Thanks!
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quests that were about as fun as watching paint dry.
    For you. Clearly others are finding them fun since they were very popular.

/I personally have 4 quests published. Each has received less than 5 plays since open beta began, one has received zero plays since open beta began.
  • adamjm85adamjm85 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I don't blame Cryptic for taking action. I am disappointed that the action taken was a blunt instrument aimed at all players and all content creators. If this remains their solution I'll blame Cryptic but no right now I place the blame squarely on those that thought that unlike any other game they could reach end-game without effort or time investment.
    edited May 2013
    asmati wrote: »
    Was this said before or after players abused the option?

Were you one of those that abused the system?

It was before, I think it was before or during closed beta.

No, I have never played a single farm map or exploited any game mechanic in Neverwinter. I only have a level 22 character and a level 16, I'm taking my time.
    edited May 2013
    paddrick wrote: »
    It's easy, while they are figuring out what to do, put it back the way it was. Other characters leveling to 60 quick, do not in any way effect my gameplay or anyone else's for that matter and gold is worth nothing in this game, its all about diamonds.. At 60 if you don't have your friends on to dungeon with, you may want to run foundry, or even power level an alt in the foundry, since you already ran the content once. Who cares, honestly, it doesn't effect anyone but the person doing it...

If it stays the way it is, I can see people leaving as soon as any other game comes out to pull them away. I ran a toon to 60 in the first week in game content, hardly touched the foundry, but now I want to and it sucks with the nerf. The foundry can make or break the game, currently its breaking it and going to make people leave.

Sorry about the rant, just wanted to get it out there, I know many feel the same. Thanks!

This is not true. Players exploiting the game to get significantly more experience and rewards meant that PVP is completely unbalanced and players have harvested unique items through repetitious killing of elite mobs that they should not have yet. The game balance has been drastically altered for the worse.

Unused items can be sold for AD, further time spent owning in PVP means they can progress even further.

When the exploit content was present no one wanted to do anything other than farm XP. Zone was completely filled with LFM Foundry XP spam. It was unreadable.

Sorry but the entire game was impacted.
    For you. Clearly others are finding them fun since they were very popular.

/I personally have 4 quests published. Each has received less than 5 plays since open beta began, one has received zero plays since open beta began.

Whether some people have so little going on upstairs as to find them fun is irrelevant. They were exploits. And let's not pretend that these farm "Quests" were popular for anything other than XP and loot. If they are so fun, go play them now that they are nerfed? No? Hence my point.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is not true. Players exploiting the game to get significantly more experience and rewards meant that PVP is completely unbalanced and players have harvested unique items through repetitious killing of elite mobs that they should not have yet. The game balance has been drastically altered for the worse.

Unused items can be sold for AD, further time spent owning in PVP means they can progress even further.

When the exploit content was present no one wanted to do anything other than farm XP. Zone was completely filled with LFM Foundry XP spam. It was unreadable.

Sorry but the entire game was impacted.

Whether some people have so little going on upstairs as to find them fun is irrelevant. They were exploits. And let's not pretend that these farm "Quests" were popular for anything other than XP and loot. If they are so fun, go play them now that they are nerfed? No? Hence my point.
    Since it's irrelevant that people find them fun, I should play them because they don't exist since they were banned? And since the COO of Cryptic says people make the content they want to play, I made exploit content during Foundry beta and submitted this exploit content to a Cryptic contest?
    edited May 2013
    I think I was pretty clear that if we are to be honest we must acknowledge that what attracted players to these quests was not the content of the quest it was the result.

Now that they have taken that result away people are upset. So yes, I am absolutely unconditionally saying that what people valued MOST about these Quests was the speed of which they levelled and obtained items.
  • chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I think I was pretty clear that if we are to be honest we must acknowledge that what attracted players to these quests was not the content of the quest it was the result.

Now that they have taken that result away people are upset. So yes, I am absolutely unconditionally saying that what people valued MOST about these Quests was the speed of which they levelled and obtained items.
    How do you explain me and people like me that don't have a single level 60 (my highest and only character is level 20) and thus never played these exploit maps at all being pissed off about the fact that all the REAL missions now give abysmally broken pathetic loot and xp?

Let's stop pretending that the only people that are mad are exploiters because that's pure fabrication.
  • rasmenar2112rasmenar2112 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a difference between finding a quest "fun" and "efficient" - the fun in this case was the INSANE XP that people were getting, not really the content itself.

Post your quests stating that they need reviews on the forums, I'm sure you'd get plenty of people that would be willing to play and give it honest feedback.
    Alone in the darkness, that is where you truly discover yourself. Without self, without the core of your identity, you are nothing. - Rasmenar
    edited May 2013
    How do you explain me and people like me that don't have a single level 60 (my highest and only character is level 20) and thus never played these exploit maps at all being pissed off about the fact that all the REAL missions now give abysmally broken pathetic loot and xp?

Let's stop pretending that the only people that are mad are exploiters because that's pure fabrication.

You seem to completely misunderstand my position. To be clear, like you I am a creator of content and only have a level 24 character and like you I am not happy about the "fix" being such a blunt weapon against all players.

To be even more clear I completely understand why you are mad because I feel the same way.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The foundry is and always will be what it is.

The Foundry will NOT "make or break" this game. The Zen Store will.
    The Foundry is a tool to allow people to do what Cryptic is doing: create their own game content. Some are in it for fame and some for fortune, both will be disappointed (the Fortune seekers already as we have seen this week). Those who create Foundry content for the simple joy of creating Foundry content and sharing with their friends will be the successful ones.

That is why the Foundry will continue to succeed. This is why Neverwinter, for the foreseeable future will thrive. All the naysayer proclamations of doom and gloom for Neverwinter because of [name your reason: Foundry, bugs, class choice, race choice, class being OP/UP, yadda, blah, duh] are absolutely self-important experts in their own mind and no other universe.

These threads are ridiculously entertaining.

More please!