test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the difference between blue and green items in NWN?

coriolanus70coriolanus70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Even though I have played since the 2nd beta I haven't really delved too much into the difference in the items, usually just going with the recommendation of the game (unless I was going for a specific play style and stats). But now that it is "live" and I have started to get some blue items it seems like it is time to learn some game mechanics.

What makes blue items better (recommended by the game) than green items which have better stats? There is no wear and tear, nothing to repair, nothing breaks, so it's not like the quality matters. And stats-wise the game seems to indicate that the higher stats on the green give better bonuses, yet it will still recommend a lower level blue item.

Why?
Post edited by coriolanus70 on

Comments

• Options
    direwolfxdirewolfx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the same level, the blue item will have more stats than the green item, but it doesn't seem to be that much more, because a green item like 6 levels higher seems to start to outclass the blue item.

For example, you might see something like (numbers made up):
    Belt of Goodness (green)
    level 40
    +50 power
    +50 crit

Belt of Awesomeness (blue)
    level 40
    +60 power
    +60 crit

Belt of Super Goodness (green)
    level 50
    +65 power
    +65 crit

The recommendation system is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, btw, especially if you're using certain builds (I have a build that emphasizes crit, so I will often ignore a 'stronger' item with say armor penetration over a 'weaker' item with crit).
  • Options
    kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Those are rarity types. Obviously, the rarer the better stats.

White < Green < Blue < Purple
  • Options
    northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    You get gear replacements so fast and green gear drops so much, its not even worth spending extra AD to buy on the AH. I sold all my blue gear I got as drops.
  • Options
    coriolanus70coriolanus70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kimoy8520 wrote: »
    Those are rarity types. Obviously, the rarer the better stats.

White < Green < Blue < Purple

I know the rarity is different. I was curious was the system was recommending stuff with worse stats, even though it was blue. As someone else mentioned, it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I was hoping for a better answer but that may have to do. :)
  • Options
    stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Near as I can tell, every piece of gear has a non-weighted gear score number, and regardless of what the actual stats are on it, it will always recommend the piece with the higher gear score. I'm not a min-maxer by any means, but I'd take the *Recommended tag with a huge grain of salt and just pick the pieces that give you what you need to achieve your build.
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • Options
    umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Green items usually have 2 stats, or 1 stat that's twice the normal value. Blue tends to have 3 stats. Also, as mentioned, the stats also tend to be slightly more per rarity level.

The recommender puts far too much emphasis on quality, however, and not enough on the pure stats.
  • Options
    harshalnharshaln Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes they need to increase the stat of blue item as they need to feels rare ...legendary's are good .
    but in game green items have advantage over blue .........
  • Options
    captndafcaptndaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    I haven't played NWN for years, I can't even remember if they had green and blue items.
    "Duct tape is like the force; it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together."
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even though I have played since the 2nd beta I haven't really delved too much into the difference in the items, usually just going with the recommendation of the game (unless I was going for a specific play style and stats). But now that it is "live" and I have started to get some blue items it seems like it is time to learn some game mechanics.

What makes blue items better (recommended by the game) than green items which have better stats? There is no wear and tear, nothing to repair, nothing breaks, so it's not like the quality matters. And stats-wise the game seems to indicate that the higher stats on the green give better bonuses, yet it will still recommend a lower level blue item.

Why?

Blue gear is generally 4 levels higher then green. An example would be a sword level 20 that is blue is better then a 23 green sword. Although I remember have a 40 ring that was blue and couldn't find a better replacement til I hit 60 as the exception. It was a pimp ring.

If your unsure you can always equip the green and look at the change at your gear score. If it increases in value it may be time to use the higher level green if the stats fit your build.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I think more to stats total number spread among attributes than its rarity or quality
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    captndaf wrote: »
    I haven't played NWN for years, I can't even remember if they had green and blue items.

There was a "Diablo" persistent world server that had them. IIRC, blue were "rare" items and green were "unique".

Probably many other examples depending on the server or mods you played. ;)
  • Options
    kethronkethron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blue items get the 'Recommended' tag, even if the White or Green item equipped is better. It's a 'Special' tag.