test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stop Saying "We don't need tank" for Tier 2

pinkiepie17pinkiepie17 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Getting really, REALLY tired of getting in groups that say "We don't need a tank, they are not required" I may be a GWF, but I'm not tank spec. Will people get this outta their minds that "Zerging a boss down" is not a great tactic and that it doesn't work 100% of the time. Getting swarmed by adds is *not* fun.
pinkamena_d__pie_signatur_iii_by_grumbeerkopp-d4uncp9.jpg
Pinkamena Diane Pie - Great Warrior Fighter
One, two, Pinkie's coming for you, three, four, you better lock your door, five, six, grab your crucifix, seven, eight, gonna stay up late, nine, ten, never party again.
Post edited by pinkiepie17 on

Comments

• Options
    rojjinrojjin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OR and this is a huge leap and logical...... they could just tone down the insane number of elite adds or at least stop them from spawning infinitely..

then a tank would be viable because you wouldn't need 2 wizards and 2 clerics to knock everything off the map while a rogue solo's the boss
  • Options
    john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I thought us Clerics weren't needed. This is just a dps game seems like. I guess everyone JUST ROLL A ROGUE!!!
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • Options
    karzak851karzak851 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hate the infinity add spawns
  • Options
    delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Getting really, REALLY tired of getting in groups that say "We don't need a tank, they are not required" I may be a GWF, but I'm not tank spec. Will people get this outta their minds that "Zerging a boss down" is not a great tactic and that it doesn't work 100% of the time. Getting swarmed by adds is *not* fun.

They probably assume you are a tank thanks to the absurd notion that anyone would currently use a GWF to DPS, when they could take another cleric, rogue or wizard to do it at much better.
  • Options
    inullableinullable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play gwf and I love all the add spawns. It keeps the fight interesting and goes on longer. I'm sorry if it prolongs your farming expedition.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    delekii1 wrote: »
    They probably assume you are a tank thanks to the absurd notion that anyone would currently use a GWF to DPS, when they could take another cleric, rogue or wizard to do it at much better.

Nope, they wanted a dps gwf, so I go in, they que instantly and we go in, before I could ask where's the tank, they said "we don't need one", first boss, two rogues burns the boss, nonstop adds all over the place, cleric dies and I get told to aoe harder and slow them, i'm like "WHAT????" while we are fighting (after our third wipe) I just up and left the group while we were getting over swarmed by mobs.
    I play gwf and I love all the add spawns. It keeps the fight interesting and goes on longer. I'm sorry if it prolongs your farming expedition.

The endless amount of adds is fine, the WINDOW TIME TO DPS THEM needs to be larger for us to aoe them down, chasing mobs after our cleric is *not* fun. Second, I tried that *GWF* tank, and it was horrible, we do not soak up damage like a guardian can
    One, two, Pinkie's coming for you, three, four, you better lock your door, five, six, grab your crucifix, seven, eight, gonna stay up late, nine, ten, never party again.
  • Options
    spazzenspazzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The endless amount of adds is fine, the WINDOW TIME TO DPS THEM needs to be larger for us to aoe them down, chasing mobs after our cleric is *not* fun. Second, I tried that *GWF* tank, and it was horrible, we do not soak up damage like a guardian can

I tend to agree. I have one GF and one Rogue character. With the GF I almost always just keep my focus on perma taunting the boss and let the group deal with adds mostly since I just can't keep them all aggroed on my level (30s).

With my rogue I constantly switch between attacking the boss and as soon as adds spawn I try to rush kill them before they get close to our cleric but ye... the biggest problem for me is that so far every **** boss have spawned adds and ffs... really didn't they have any other ideas for boss mechanics? None?
  • Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Guardian fighters are useless even in tier 2. I've been 3/4 castle never and done almost every other instance, trust me... you dont need a tank... 2 clerics is infinitely better.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jkaplan92 wrote: »
    Guardian fighters are useless even in tier 2. I've been 3/4 castle never and done almost every other instance, trust me... you dont need a tank... 2 clerics is infinitely better.

I don't believe that, a guardian tank is always needed, two clerics won't save you from tons of adds and a boss beating on ya
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    We don't need tank!

There, I said it! What ya gonna do about it?
  • Options
    stewiecraftstewiecraft Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't believe that, a guardian tank is always needed, two clerics won't save you from tons of adds and a boss beating on ya
    A GF won't help you with the tons of adds.
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've tanked several t2 instances, including some crazy ones. Really depends on the group comp and the cleric. Generally speaking you just get initial thread and semi-kite/tank using slam and unstoppable. If you have a good cleric it's amazing and works pretty well, if you don't, you die horribly.
  • Options
    dezmerdezmer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly I think tanks are not actually needed. If the CW/Rogues are on the ball you can even get away with 1 cleric.

What does a tank provide? Guaranteed aggro for 1 mob. A cleric meanwhile is electric sliding all over the place because every single add comes equipped with a burning hatred for him as soon as they spawn.

What do bosses do? They have slow, incredibly telegraphed mega-powerful attacks. The cleric is already dodging literally everything in the room, having one person in the group dedicated to keeping one more off of him is not a good use of 20% of the team.

I really wish it weren't so because GF play differently from anything else and seem to have a very high skill ceiling, but I think I'm going to shelve her for now that I've seen the endgame.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    I've tanked several t2 instances, including some crazy ones. Really depends on the group comp and the cleric. Generally speaking you just get initial thread and semi-kite/tank using slam and unstoppable. If you have a good cleric it's amazing and works pretty well, if you don't, you die horribly.

I've been doing that but there are *some* mobs that run really fast, I can only pull them away for so long, I also can't really dps them when they run outta my reach every time to aoe them
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope, they wanted a dps gwf, so I go in, they que instantly and we go in, before I could ask where's the tank, they said "we don't need one", first boss, two rogues burns the boss, nonstop adds all over the place, cleric dies and I get told to aoe harder and slow them, i'm like "WHAT????" while we are fighting (after our third wipe) I just up and left the group while we were getting over swarmed by mobs.

some fights have constantly spawning trash.

however the spawning of the larger boss style adds is tied directly to boss health. having two rogues on the boss means you won't be dropping those adds before more are brought in.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just got in a another group, the group make up

Guardian
    GWF <-- me
    GWF <-- some other guy
    rogue
    cleric

THROUGH the whole pulls, tank could never keep aggro on anything, the cleric had aggro 100% of the time.

*sigh* I think i'm done with this game till they fix the aggro problem
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    two rogues burns the boss, nonstop adds all over the place

The endless amount of adds is fine, the WINDOW TIME TO DPS THEM needs to be larger for us to aoe them down,

Here is a thought, and this has worked in every boss fight i've been in, stop dps on boss as soon as adds spawn, kill spawns, then go back to dps on boss. The bosses all seem to be spawning at X% of health, not on a timer. If you keep hitting boss, guess what? More adds. Anyone with skill in kiting and dodging can usually lead the boss around while everyone else focuses fire on each add. AOE the minions, single target CC and DPS on the more health ones, and if you aren't all over the place, you'll do fine. Having a different group make up without a tank just means learning to adapt.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Here is a thought, and this has worked in every boss fight i've been in, stop dps on boss as soon as adds spawn, kill spawns, then go back to dps on boss. The bosses all seem to be spawning at X% of health, not on a timer. If you keep hitting boss, guess what? More adds. Anyone with skill in kiting and dodging can usually lead the boss around while everyone else focuses fire on each add. AOE the minions, single target CC and DPS on the more health ones, and if you aren't all over the place, you'll do fine. Having a different group make up without a tank just means learning to adapt.

i'm not trying to insult here but - are you new to mmo's or do you run with a pre-made 100% of the time?

because yeah, telling a pug rogue to do something that may make him do less damage on the sheet at the end of the dungeon just does not fly.
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    john242424 wrote: »
    And I thought us Clerics weren't needed. This is just a dps game seems like. I guess everyone JUST ROLL A ROGUE!!!

I've not seen anything anywhere suggesting Clerics aren't needed? Cleric has various useful buffs, abilities and what not. Astral seal on a boss is probably very significant for a rogue since they'll heal very quickly off of it, hallowed ground gives a big bonus to attack and defense... there are other things that can boost attack/defense and Divine Glow which reduces an enemies defense... and also divine sun burst which an AoE pushback, heal and damage move all in one.

the threat bug is the only real bad thing for Cleric since it primarily affects clerics.
  • Options
    hivitrohivitro Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "you dont need a tank... 2 clerics is infinitely better"

that happens in to many mmo, is an development issue that's not doing well and that all necessary classes
  • Options
    symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    tanks need a good buff to threat, then people will cry "we need a tannnnnnnnnnnnk!".
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60