test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whats a good thing to buy with Zen for a casual player?

insubstantialinsubstantial Member Posts: 36
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Looking to support the game...as of now I'm thinking I will grab a few character slots... I'd like to have one of each class I think. I am wondering if there are any other recommendations of something to buy that I might be missing.
Post edited by insubstantial on

Comments

• lordquncagelordquncage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would go with extra bags.
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    Character slots are definitely a good choice. Maybe bags or bank slots, but inventory space is something you can manage if you're careful. Depends on your priorities.

EDIT: I bought character slots, bags and bank space...but I'm a packrat in MMOs.
  • yupp99yupp99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    I bought the chrs slots also.I wanted to try all 5 classes and saving one for the future.
  • akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honey Badger
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    Honey Badger

Honey Badger? Don't give a zen.

Okay, I kid. It's a pretty awesome pet. If you're going to buy a DPS companion, that's probably the one to get. And it MAY be worth getting a zen DPS companion that can be ranked to 30, because the tank Man at Arms and healer Cleric can do their jobs well while stuck at white-quality Rank 15...a DPS pet can't.

It is very expensive, though.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I really couldn't name just one. There are a few things I personally love having though.

1) Two character slots for 5 dollars. Win.
    2) A Tier 3 Mount. Costs a bit but it's unlocked for ALL of your characters. Huge time saver.
    3) Bags. You can never go wrong with bag space.

Honestly if you are a casual player who is just here to play and have fun those are the three main things I think would improve your experience in the game. I haven't broken down and purchased another bag yet but I'm getting close to doing so...

But overall don't underestimate just how nice an account wide Tier 3 Mount unlock is. It looks expensive...heck it is expensive....but it's a gift that just keeps on giving if you plan on playing for a longer period of time :D
    edited May 2013
    2) A Tier 3 Mount. Costs a bit but it's unlocked for ALL of your characters. Huge time saver.

Whoa, wait, it unlocks for all characters? I didn't know that. Everything else is per-character, so I sort of just assumed. Wow, that changes...absolutely nothing for me personally, because I have a founder's mount.

But that makes it pretty good value for someone without founder's status.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing no one has touched on yet: Astral Diamonds.

You can take Zen and convert them to Astral Diamonds on the in-game exchange. If you're a casual player, you're likely to not be earning large amounts of AD, and there's a lot of stuff you can spend it on. Right now, the exchange rates are quite high (~410 AD:1 Zen), and they are likely to trend lower for quite some time, so now is a good time to buy.

Of course, you could shortcut all of our recommendations and just get the Guardian pack :) Tier 3 mount and tier 3 pet for all your characters, a nice starter weapons, a char slot and 600k AD... but I understand if $60 is more than you want to spend.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Indeed, the Founders packs truly are an excellent value comparatively.

If you want to spend something that'd be the best way to go but if you want to just test some things out before you commit to anything a bag might be your best convenience for testing the game...
    But if you play for a bit and enjoy the game the founder's packs will give you an excellent bang for your buck. The mount alone is 40 dollars but you'll also get a companion per character, starter weapon per character (a great weapon until level 20 or so), 600K Astral Diamonds (once ever) and some pretty nice cosmetic things to show off.

If you plan on playing for a period of time it's really a great option.
    But the game is free to play...so play it...see if you like the game. If you do then the best deal you're going to get is from the Guardian Pack.

And yes all the mounts are account wide. If you buy any mount from the Zen Vendor you will never have to pay for it again. I am not sure how this works with Mount Training but I know if you buy a Tier 3 Mount out of the shop, such as the Armored Bear or Heavy Worg, you will always receive them on every present and future character at Tier 3. :D
  • yoloswag6191yoloswag6191 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait what? Mounts are unlocked for all characters? Wtf
  • zrye1977zrye1977 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could someone pass up the chain that some of us would like a monthly sub option? Seriously, Put together a package, and let us pay a sub for it, Let us have another couple character slots. a bag or two. and maybe some stuff to make crafting easier. And a higher refinement cap for Rough Astral Diamonds. I would gladly pay a monthly sub just for some bundled goodies like that. make it the standard 14.99 fee. I'm sure you'd get alot of bites out of that.

So far the only money i've spent on the game is i bought the mount for 30 bucks, Coulda spent another 30 for the guardian founder pack but i just felt like most of the stuff there, other than the AD woulda just been something i woulda never used. I woulda probably used the Mount, the respec token, and i think that's it. and of course the AD's