test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

are servers all same location?

realwhistrealwhist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I play on mindflayer and have ~120 ping to it, it seems a little high to me and I feel like it affects my ability to dodge and block spells (if I hit block at the last second, I still get hit).

I noticed a lot of streamers play on Dragon...

Are all the servers in the same location or did I mess up picking Mindflayer as a California player?

Comments

• darknight0354darknight0354 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    All servers are on the west coast. 120 ping isn't ****.
  • realwhistrealwhist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I figured since it's a mmo it's typical to expect pings over 50 regardless of proximity to server, but I felt that because this isn't a "TRUE" open world mmo (each map aside from protectors holds 20 people per instance) I could expect a little lower than 120.

I do run into trouble with blocking and dodging (mainly on GWF because there's no dodge stat added to sprint). When I'm clearly out of danger or gave more than a half second time for block to activate I still take damage. Kind of annoying, but good to know it's not something that can't be fixed by simply switching servers.
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    All the servers are located in the same physical location.

EDIT: Cryptic's in California...but I'm sure Cryptic's datacentre was in Boston - I recall posts confirming that on the Star Trek Online and Champions forums way back. They used to run beta tests out of California, but since Neverwinter's open beta is kind-of-sort-of launch and on the same hardware as CO/STO...I assume everything's still out of Boston unless they moved.

Anyway, Mindflayer's the most heavily populated of the three servers right now. The game in general's under pretty heavy load even now. Also, if you're using the US proxy in your settings, that's been known to cause issues too.
  • realwhistrealwhist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »
    Also, if you're using the US proxy in your settings, that's been known to cause issues too.

I don't know what this means but thank you for the other info :X

(I hoped my ping would go down (I didn't check it on prerelease) after a month when players who don't dig the game leave)