test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

server crash, can't resume foundry mission - what should I do?

mirarkittymirarkitty Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
The server crashed yesterday in the middle of a Foundry mission (Act 2: The Lanaar Legacy).
How does the game expect me to resume at this point? I'm tossed out of the instance,
and back into the Tower District. I'm supposed to enter the Crypt, but all there was in
the Tower District was the sewer entrance, and it's no longer active.

Does all the foundry missions suffer from this problem?

I presume the only course of action is to abandon and restart, and hope for no server crash this time?
Post edited by mirarkitty on

Comments

• Options
    forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just start it over again.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish there was some way for me to address this issue (I'm the author of that quest), but I can't think of anything. This seems to be a limitation with the game itself. On the other hand, I did disconnect while inside the mansion during one of my own playtests, and when I reconnected was still there. It seems kind of random.
  • Options
    forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    I wish there was some way for me to address this issue (I'm the author of that quest), but I can't think of anything. This seems to be a limitation with the game itself. On the other hand, I did disconnect while inside the mansion during one of my own playtests, and when I reconnected was still there. It seems kind of random.

If you are inside quest's map (or whatever map your current objective is on) after logging in, then it's good. Otherwise you have to restart quest.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »

It seems like the quest-map is saved for a little bit. But yesterday the servers crashed, and there were nothing I could do to login in time. I gave up and went to sleep after about an hour, knewing I were screwed...

I haven't looked into foundry coding, but maybe an idea like this would work:
    When at the following phases, let the "sewer entrance" in the tower region go to the correct instance for that phase.
    That is, let the normal-world-map door act as the door to the next/current phase just like the ones inside the instances during the entire quest. (Or have a world map point just like the inn in the previous act that continues the current phase.)

(If it's possible to have two doors starting/continuing the same map.)

Alternatively, or maybe in combination, make the foundry missions a lot shorter (never longer than 30 minutes). If you're making acts anyway, this shouldn't be much of a problem...
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mirarkitty wrote: »
    I haven't looked into foundry coding, but maybe an idea like this would work:
    When at the following phases, let the "sewer entrance" in the tower region go to the correct instance for that phase.
    That is, let the normal-world-map door act as the door to the next/current phase just like the ones inside the instances during the entire quest. (Or have a world map point just like the inn in the previous act that continues the current phase.)

Cryptic might be able to implement something like that for us, but us Foundry authors don't have the power to add such a feature right now.
    Alternatively, or maybe in combination, make the foundry missions a lot shorter (never longer than 30 minutes). If you're making acts anyway, this shouldn't be much of a problem...

The length of my quests is dictated by the story. A Hidden Blade is reasonably short, while The Lanaar Legacy turned out a lot longer than I thought it would. I'm learning as I go here. Act 3 is likely to be somewhere in between those two in length. As for The Lanaar Legacy, I don't think I could have split that into two pieces. Considering the nature of the story and how you get there, it just wouldn't have felt right.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see. I'd have thought that Cryptic would have added some sort of method of resuming an aborted Foundry dungeon... or at least have it revert to the last salvageable state (even if it means complete reset).

Pity.

I'd still recommend chopping them up whenever possible, if this is the state of affairs.

(The chain is really, really nice, by the way. The few bugs I encountered I think it's due to Cryptic, not you.)