test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Instances Gear Being (BoE) is this a joke?

leetlazztleetlazzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Seriously Cryptic,

Why is all the gear BoE? The amount of loot stealing going on is absurd.

Is this just another scheme to make money?

Make everything BoE so people can post the items on AH so people can convert zen to AD and buy the items?

This seriously need to be addressed. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be fired.

Anyone else with me on this?
Post edited by leetlazzt on

Comments

• fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as the endgame gear is bop I'm happy. And no, this is not the endgame, just dungeons.
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What does BoE mean?

[Edit]: Ah. “Binding on Equip”. (Thank you Google. You make the human species smarter.)
  • chikarchikar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You wish to wear magical armaments? Then you must understand the price! Magical armaments must bind with your spirit to impart their magical properties to you. Do you think these pieces of armor just do the hard stuff for you? No! You think you just suddenly became super fast or overly powerful overnight? NO! It is a symbiotic relationship between you and the magic inside. YOU! Not the next guy. Once discarded, these armaments are just a husk of their former selves and will provide no further use to anyone but you.

So if you want that awesome gear thats going to make you awesomesauce so you can pwn noobs fo dayz... Then you're going to have to fight others for it! Because they know once you wear it, they have no chance of buying or selling it in the future.

Welcome to Neverwinter! ;)
  • ebonsonebonson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems like all gear is BoE even the stuff you can get with Valor, we're talking purple lvl 60 gear. I dunno I kinda like it. There's a lot of people that just love to run dungeons and some that just really want that one piece now they can help each other out without ever meeting. The dungeon crawler gets a way to make AD and the buyer doesn't have to put up with numerous runs just to get that one thing... Win/Win if you ask me.

Also "loot stealing" has always been a issue with pugs in any MMO the only way to get safe loot distribution is to run with friends so nothing has changed really.
  • ccoulterccoulter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leetlazzt wrote: »

Make everything BoE so people can post the items on AH so people can convert zen to AD and buy the items?

I've kept asking why the loot system is the way it is and this is the first sensible answer I've seen.

Thanks.
    edited May 2013
    ebonson wrote: »
    Seems like all gear is BoE even the stuff you can get with Valor, we're talking purple lvl 60 gear. I dunno I kinda like it. There's a lot of people that just love to run dungeons and some that just really want that one piece now they can help each other out without ever meeting. The dungeon crawler gets a way to make AD and the buyer doesn't have to put up with numerous runs just to get that one thing... Win/Win if you ask me.
    The above attitude seems kind of healthy to me. Figure out ways for different people to find enjoyment in the game.

I care alot about how reallife money (aka Zen and defacto Astral Diamonds) disrupts a game. But so far, Neverwinter doesnt seem to have a problem. All of the magic items have level prerequisites. As far as I can tell from comparing Auction Hall searches, the rare items seem roughly comparable to the common items. Of course, slightly better, nothing to really jeopardize the gaming experience.

Surprisingly, because of the level prereqs, I dont see a problem with reallife-money payers getting some cool items. Eventually, these items appear on the auction block, and are attainable via Astral Diamonds. The ADs are attainable ... at the appropriately high levels.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Seriously Cryptic,

Why is all the gear BoE? The amount of loot stealing going on is absurd.

Is this just another scheme to make money?

This seriously need to be addressed. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be fired.

Anyone else with me on this?

Nope, item based economies are a wonderous idea and harkens back to old school MMO techonoly before the advent of the idiotic and "elitist" WoW mentality of Bind on Pickup. I love this idea and if they were to ever remove it, I'd most likely quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • haurbushaurbus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You guys really should stop complaining on a random loot based game with different equipment sets for acquireing it. The whole idea of this game is kind of riddled with odd concepts to start like Bind On- to begin with, but this isn't something we should really complain about.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually like it this way.

Id much rather run dungeons and know each run will earn me a fair share of something valuable. That can be used to actually buy something id really want. Rather then to do run, after run, after run, in the hope of getting the random number gods to bless me with a drop, with the stats I want.

Ill take a fixed goal, I can measure progress toward, anytime over complete randomness. And random drops are just that.
  • leetlazztleetlazzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I actually like it this way.

Id much rather run dungeons and know each run will earn me a fair share of something valuable. That can be used to actually buy something id really want. Rather then to do run, after run, after run, in the hope of getting the random number gods to bless me with a drop, with the stats I want.

Ill take a fixed goal, I can measure progress toward, anytime over complete randomness. And random drops are just that.

So you people are ok with people stealing loot from other players who could actually use said loot to sell it?

What type of community is this.
    edited May 2013
    So you people are ok with people stealing loot from other players who could actually use said loot to sell it?

How is it stealing if everyone is rolling equally for everything? How is it better to be random?

Ive been on runs where not one single thing for my class dropped that night. Yet other classes made bank. If its bad with only 5, what happens when there are 7 or 8 classes. The odds, start to decline quickly.

Isnt it simply more fair for everyone to come out of a run with something, anything. Rather then passing on drop after drop, simply because the RNG wasn't on your side that night.
  • matzeramatzera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's the type of community that knows that it's better to form your own parties with your own guildies and friends than to press an "instant action" button and gamble your time with complete strangers. As far as I see it you have three options:

1) Deal with it and stop whining.
    2) Create your own parties with people you know and can trust.
    3) Stop playing the game.

It's pretty simple, honestly.
    AMD FX 8350 4.0 Mhz OC@ 4.8 Mhz
    ASUS M5A99X Evo
    EVGA GTX 680
    Gskill Ripjaw 8GB(2x4gb) DDR3 1600 @ 2133
    Corsair Hydro 110 Liquid Cooling
    Cyborg RAT 7
    Steelseries Merc Stealth (WTB Steelseries Apex! Sell it to me SS!)
    Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset (Orange)
    Razer Goliathas Omega Control Mousepad
    edited May 2013

Heh. I would be happy to have a problem. But I dont see what the problem is.

Binding-On-Equip seems great. Right now, I am just dipping my toes, and I am happy to play for free to experiment and explore. At the same time, I do want the business and the creative people in employment to receive money and a reasonable life. I am happy if I find something valuable that a paying customer can benefit from. I get ingame money to enjoy the game further, and the pay customer gets something cool, worth paying for.

In fact, the B-O-E is perfect. I personally like the *story* explanation that magic binds to a specific person, symbiosis, as the other forumer pointed out (who is on a previous page, so I cant doublecheck the name).

Also, there are a number of times when I found a valuable item, and I thought, Should I use this for myself or sell it at auction? This decision is tense but interesting.

The only thing about binding-on-equip that bothers me is, it is problematic when *consumable* resources are binding. Having one set of healing potions that bind and another that dont just kills valuable space in the bag slots. All consumables should be binding (or all should be nonbinding). But for serious equipment, I am cool with it binding on equip.

I might even go so far to say: All equipment can be Binding-On-Equip - except for items purchased by Zen reallife-money. The money payers can enjoy the use of the equipment, and then auction it while after they level and move on to a higher level item. Meanwhile, the free players have to choose between use and auction, and the payer players will non-binding items that are more valuable than binding because of their resale value.

None of this seems to disrupt gaming balance. Not by much anyway.
  • beamanbrbeamanbr Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its stealing because we have the option to "greed" roll, and most people are conditioned (from WoW) to click that option if you don't plan on equipping it, but some people are clicking "need" on everything.

If this is how the devs want it, they should just remove the option of greed/need, and have everyone auto-random roll. That seems dumb to me, but at least it would be fair. Its either that or the entire playerbase just learns to "need" on everything.

I just don't see why so many details of this game are re-inventing the wheel... Say what you want about WoW, they spent years figuring out how to deal with loot systems and they worked... Why would a new game come out that brings us back to the EQ days of griefing people?
  • haurbushaurbus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do you need a company to hard lock how you play the game to solve a problem that isn't there? Is it too hard to role need if you want to sell an item as well just like everyone else? Does the name of the 'roll' really matter? What drives me insane is when people expect the game to do everything for them when they have the tools to accomplish it there with the exact same ease.
  • seonsaengnimseonsaengnim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to see individual loot tables for each character in the group like they did in LOTRO. That completely wiped out the issues of greed/need and gave everyone an equal chance at nice loot. Remote looting would be nice so as to give my F key a break.
    edited May 2013
    beamanbr wrote: »
    Its stealing because we have the option to "greed" roll, and most people are conditioned (from WoW) to click that option if you don't plan on equipping it, but some people are clicking "need" on everything.

If this is how the devs want it, they should just remove the option of greed/need, and have everyone auto-random roll. That seems dumb to me, but at least it would be fair. Its either that or the entire playerbase just learns to "need" on everything.

I just don't see why so many details of this game are re-inventing the wheel... Say what you want about WoW, they spent years figuring out how to deal with loot systems and they worked... Why would a new game come out that brings us back to the EQ days of griefing people?
    Sincerely. I want to be an ethical person. When gaming, I dont like how binding on equip makes realllife money cause unfairness. I have never played World Of Warcraft, or Elf Quest. I honestly cant understand how this accusation of “stealing” comes in. Paying customers are happy. I - as a so far nonpaying dabbler in Neverwinter - am happy. I dont see where paying customers are ruining my gaming experience.

Please. Someone spell out for me what the problem is. Who is stealing from who?
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to see individual loot tables for each character in the group like they did in LOTRO. That completely wiped out the issues of greed/need and gave everyone an equal chance at nice loot. Remote looting would be nice so as to give my F key a break.

Id love to see that. I think a lot of the anger here isn't the fact that people are winning items. But that others can see what people are winning. Most of the posts are of the nature of "You got that?! YOU DI#K!"

If the game simply awarded loot, to everyone, evenly and privately. You'll see nearly all the anger and jealously evaporate.
  • sarsparilla1sarsparilla1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think D&D is all about dice rolls... so get over it.
  • venymvenym Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Okay, but here's the question. Since I'm not level 60, only mid 20's right now... but if I don't get the loot I want. *shrugs* I queue up for a dungeon again. Especially if I'm lucky enough that the event is on to award a bonus chest.

Now that's me in my 20's, what is there to do at 60 other than pvp, and run dungeons? So what's the problem. You don't get the item you want every time... don't tell me you're not gonna run that dungeon again?

So, for those of you that will only run the endgame dungeons once and miss out, I on behalf of every mmo player out there apologize. For those of you who are going to darn well run that dungeon again and again.

Shut the **** up and grow a pair you puissant little babies.
  • leetlazztleetlazzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    venym wrote: »
    Okay, but here's the question. Since I'm not level 60, only mid 20's right now... but if I don't get the loot I want. *shrugs* I queue up for a dungeon again. Especially if I'm lucky enough that the event is on to award a bonus chest.

Now that's me in my 20's, what is there to do at 60 other than pvp, and run dungeons? So what's the problem. You don't get the item you want every time... don't tell me you're not gonna run that dungeon again?

So, for those of you that will only run the endgame dungeons once and miss out, I on behalf of every mmo player out there apologize. For those of you who are going to darn well run that dungeon again and again.

Shut the **** up and grow a pair you puissant little babies.

Once again fail to see how you people think it's ok for a CW to roll need on a GF chest that said GF needs just so he can go sell it on the AH.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as the Seal of the Drake equipment and other restricted equpment and not BoE is far better than any of the BoE equipment, then what is the problem? Who cares if someone can purchase purple level 60 equipment as long as its not the best purple level 60 equipment.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    beamanbr wrote: »

I do think the default looting should be round robin, for qued quests.

any premade groups that do a quest would use the loot ssystem that the leader has set for group, but when it's a group that was not premade and joined without selecting a loot system, it should default to round robin (that way all members auto-roll loot equaly, instead of the need/greed. (I see how need/greed may be helpfull in a private group, but I also think in private grouping, that free for all is best)