test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Prioritization of Stats

theghalttheghalt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Library
Can someone help enlighten me about the prioritization of the stats available on gear?

It seems like the game "Recommends" gear (when comparing two armor pieces) that pushes Defense and Recovery.

Level 33, and so far I'm not dying much (or, at all). And I have pitifully low Defense.

I'm prioritizing DPS over defense, trusting in my Man-at-Arms to hold aggro (or whatever tank class is in a party).

But even some of the offensive stats confuse me: crit vs. armor pen vs. power

I haven't found any theorycrafted lists that explain the differences between the stats and how they affect CW DPS.

Does anyone know, if you're going for pure deeps, what the priority is of the stats?

For example: power > crit > armor pen > recovery > regen > defense > life steal > deflect ??

I made that up (sorta), but does anyone know the generally accepted ranking?

Thanks!
Post edited by theghalt on

Comments

• Options
    sableshrikesableshrike Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tend to only worry about PvE, and my playstyle's aggressive and up close.

For gear I went with Power > Regen > Defense. "Caster's" "of Youth" are the tags for those items. Basically I made a warlock or troll mage. The hefty regen values this gives lets you face tank a lot of stuff and just take the hits. This's good, cuz a lot of our power root in firing. Regen'll let you sling em without too much worry of being rooted.

I'm level 41 now, and the regen is proccing up to 450 healing a tick when I'm below 50%. It's quite noticeable, and I rarely have to use potions or top off after most fights.

Also, since you are your own healer with this setup, you can use whatever companion you want! I'm training up a Phoera I got through dumb luck right now.

If they fix the **** companion stats and damage, I can see this being a lot of added damage potential.
  • Options
    caprtegcaprteg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm personally geared towards group play and as such prioritize crit and recovery. That is since it helps keeping alot of mobs (all those adds on bosses) in controll. The way I play is crit too help build alot of action points (frequent dayli spam) and recovery for constant encounter spells spam.

The great thing about that is that it also gives alot of DPS since you can spam your higher dmg dealing abilites alot more. But all this is for PVE. While it works in PVP it is probably better to go for alot of power and crit to make those few shots, as you teleport in and out, really count.
  • Options
    wormgaswormgas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    What about the stats that we're rolling? I see lots of people roll for int and charisma bonuses which is cool. However, while you can get crit from items you don't get control bonus.

Or am I missing something?
    That's a fact!
  • Options
    trickyflokitrickyfloki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My CW is only 40 at the moment, but i prioritize crit>power=recovery. Not sure about how useful armor pen is so I don't use that at all. Crit is top priority to take full advantage of all the paragon feats that proc on crit. This may change with the feature that procs guaranteed crits for 4/6/8s but I dont have that yet. Currently i do top damage in all dungeons by a good 15%, and specialize in AoE on trash. I have essentialy 0 control skills on bar as they are largely useless in dungeon settings
  • Options
    huttjhuttj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have essentialy 0 control skills on bar as they are largely useless in dungeon settings

I find entangling force on something nomming the cleric, ray of frost, and arcane singularity to be invaluable in managing packs and bosses for dungeons.
  • Options
    gwasgwas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    Power > Crit > Recovery > Defense = Reflection > Life Steal
    As a control wizard we can reduce the mitigation of mobs so armor pen is underwhelming and takes too much to be effective over power and crit.

You must not forget about the fact that stats can have diminishing returns, power does not seem to be one of them at the moment as more is always better. I do not have all the details at the moment but I am sure someone has already tested the majority of these stats and has figured out the cap for most stats when you are about to have diminishing returns.
    Nessa@gwas - 10,500 Gearscore Control Wizard on Dragon Shard.
    4/4 Castle Never legit. 4/4 Shadow Weaver set. 1/2 Ancient Court Magister.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What's with charisma over wisdom?
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    novron wrote: »
    What's with charisma over wisdom?

Charisma gives 1% crit, 1% combat advantage, and 1% companion stats per point over 10. Those all directly increase damage, which is what many of us are interested in doing. Wisdom gives 1% control bonus, 1% control resistance, 1% recharge speed, and 1% action point gain per point over 10. Some of these indirectly increase damage, but Wisdom is better for someone really focusing on maximizing CC.
  • Options
    xoph0ivtxoph0ivt Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So for a heavy control-based build, it'd be Wisdom > Int > Charisma?

I'm studying up on creating a strong "Chill Control" build. I really wanna see how we can push the limits of Chill. Any advice/websites would be great.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps, but it depends on what wisdom actually affects. It's just listed as a "control bonus", which is pretty vague.

Otherwise that sounds good, but realize that most bosses are currently immune to chill, which is why very few are trying to make use of cold builds atm.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    violated87 wrote: »
    Charisma gives 1% crit, 1% combat advantage, and 1% companion stats per point over 10. Those all directly increase damage, which is what many of us are interested in doing. Wisdom gives 1% control bonus, 1% control resistance, 1% recharge speed, and 1% action point gain per point over 10. Some of these indirectly increase damage, but Wisdom is better for someone really focusing on maximizing CC.

I'd think I want the recharge speed but I can see companion bonus with an ioun stone.
  • Options
    xoph0ivtxoph0ivt Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    violated87 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it depends on what wisdom actually affects. It's just listed as a "control bonus", which is pretty vague.

Otherwise that sounds good, but realize that most bosses are currently immune to chill, which is why very few are trying to make use of cold builds atm.

I definitely noticed that, so what I'm thinking is using it to keep the adds off the Cleric/Myself. If done properly, adds shouldn't be a problem and I'm hoping for superior lockdown in pvp
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xoph0ivt wrote: »
    I definitely noticed that, so what I'm thinking is using it to keep the adds off the Cleric/Myself. If done properly, adds shouldn't be a problem and I'm hoping for superior lockdown in pvp

You'll get more AP generation and with a focus on recovery , well, you'll get everything faster so that is naturally more disruption.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    novron wrote: »
    I'd think I want the recharge speed but I can see companion bonus with an ioun stone.

The companion bonus the least of the reasons why we are taking Charisma over Wisdom. The extra crit and combat advantage bonus damage are the key stats, while the companion bonuses are just gravy if you have a decent DPS companion.
  • Options
    hardpeck1hardpeck1 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    At 60, in my experience it's this.

Crit (to get to at least 25% total, I might start stacking more) > Power > recovery > defense.

But i'm also running a renegade spec which is heavily reliant upon crits to do massive damage.

TF's are the only class that can reliably beat my damage in dungeons, and in pvp, unless I'm focused I will run around and wreck your team one by one.
  • Options
    darqiondarqion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive been focusing mostly around power > crit > recovery and the rest i dont care about.
    I`m only lvl 30 though. For stats ive focused on int and cha. The cooldown bonus is too little to worry about while levelling i feel. Maybe if you do a whole lot of dungeons that 2% extra CD reduction is going to help you
  • Options
    drussivdrussiv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theghalt wrote: »
    Can someone help enlighten me about the prioritization of the stats available on gear?

It seems like the game "Recommends" gear (when comparing two armor pieces) that pushes Defense and Recovery.

Level 33, and so far I'm not dying much (or, at all). And I have pitifully low Defense.

I'm prioritizing DPS over defense, trusting in my Man-at-Arms to hold aggro (or whatever tank class is in a party).

But even some of the offensive stats confuse me: crit vs. armor pen vs. power

I haven't found any theorycrafted lists that explain the differences between the stats and how they affect CW DPS.

Does anyone know, if you're going for pure deeps, what the priority is of the stats?

For example: power > crit > armor pen > recovery > regen > defense > life steal > deflect ??

I made that up (sorta), but does anyone know the generally accepted ranking?

Thanks!

I prioritize crit (have around 30% even though I was a nap and didn't put 3 points in the crit feat, weapons mastery I think it's called) and then armor pen and then power.

Out of my last 10 dungeons/skirmishes, I had top damage in 9 of them and 2nd damage in 1.

In PvP I fare not as good, but I am usually within the top 3 of my team in terms of points. But admittedly atm I only do PvP for the daily astrals, and don't really know what powers to use and what tactics.
  • Options
    f1shb0tf1shb0t Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mini Wall of Text crits you for 9999 damage! ^^

As lvl60 (somewhat Hybrid crit+cc build), I value power=recovery=crit. Best is a proper combination of all 3 of these (explanation below). Armor Pen and Defense/Life are secondary stats.
    Rest - meh: LifeSteal is totally useless unless you prioritise it over other stats to get really decent amount, pretty much same with Regen. Deflect - Come on... ^^
    All of that is because you, as CW, mostly rely on your CCs and huge burst dps, especially in PvP.

First thing at lvl60 for u will prolly be 4piece pvp set. Why? - It gives sick stats compared to pre-60 gear (even blue), also 4piece bonus is just too good to not take it for further grind. It will give insane recovery boost, what will let you to focus solely on power+crit (and maybe defense) on your "right" side of char (Jewels+belt).
    Imho, crit should be somewhere 28%+, highend gear will have huge power and recovery, so it won't be an issue focusing mainly on crit rolls :)

Personally, I am using pvp gear for PvE too atm, with crappy jewelry and no-proper-talisman I have like 64% or something recovery increase and ~25% AP gain, and I have just enough time to cast m.missile inbetween rotations for lowering mitigation of target.

Thats only my personal thoughts from my own experience so far, feel free to criticise.
  • Options
    qryticalqrytical Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f1shb0t wrote: »
    Mini Wall of Text crits you for 9999 damage! ^^

As lvl60 (somewhat Hybrid crit+cc build), I value power=recovery=crit. Best is a proper combination of all 3 of these (explanation below). Armor Pen and Defense/Life are secondary stats.
    Rest - meh: LifeSteal is totally useless unless you prioritise it over other stats to get really decent amount, pretty much same with Regen. Deflect - Come on... ^^
    All of that is because you, as CW, mostly rely on your CCs and huge burst dps, especially in PvP.

First thing at lvl60 for u will prolly be 4piece pvp set. Why? - It gives sick stats compared to pre-60 gear (even blue), also 4piece bonus is just too good to not take it for further grind. It will give insane recovery boost, what will let you to focus solely on power+crit (and maybe defense) on your "right" side of char (Jewels+belt).
    Imho, crit should be somewhere 28%+, highend gear will have huge power and recovery, so it won't be an issue focusing mainly on crit rolls :)

Personally, I am using pvp gear for PvE too atm, with crappy jewelry and no-proper-talisman I have like 64% or something recovery increase and ~25% AP gain, and I have just enough time to cast m.missile inbetween rotations for lowering mitigation of target.

Thats only my personal thoughts from my own experience so far, feel free to criticise.

I agree with you, except that the 4 piece PvP set bonus is currently not working (it doesn't grant 25% CD reduction like it should).

Other than that, I value crit and power equally. I went 25% crit and put the rest in power. I also got tons of recovery since Control gear seems to have a lot of that.

I imagine if I were a Renegade spec I'd put more weight on crit, but since I'm Thaumaturge I value the consistency of power more.