test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quest Poll question

shiinchan01shiinchan01 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Alright this is for serious roleplayers and people who enjoy quest lines.. foundry XP grind kiddies need not read further

So guys, I am building a quest right now and essentially I want to just mainly tell a story and use encounters ONLY to strengthen that story, it is a 5 chapter story and may have multiple episodes. Now my question for you guys before I get to into it.. does a quest that is story driven (maybe a lot of talking, like 10 to 1, talking to encounter ratio) entice you to play and pass it along to others if the story is good? Or do you guys needs equal action to story elements?
Post edited by shiinchan01 on

Comments

• Options
    adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I prefer a bit of both. If it's a lot of reading, I would prefer to just have a book or my Kindle in my hands :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    It is D&D of course it is all about the story!
  • Options
    capt0bv10u5capt0bv10u5 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adaram648 wrote: »
    I prefer a bit of both. If it's a lot of reading, I would prefer to just have a book or my Kindle in my hands :)

Agreed, you can say a lot more sometimes in five words than you can in 50. Especially when you impliment the story correctly with the visual element the is ever-present in video games. I believe if you're story is solid - not lengthy or wordy - and you have proper pathfinding elements - inspect this object, acquire this key, talk to that person, read some book, etc - then you can limit the fighting encounters to feel like a natural part of the story's experience. I'm currently working out the detail for a campaign that I want to release all at once which has that kind of quality to it.
  • Options
    granatargranatar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes there needs to be a balance I think. I am still new at creating these stories but I think the encounters should be driven by the story but remember that combat is something a lot of players want in this game, so we need to keep pushing the player forward.
  • Options
    shiinchan01shiinchan01 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, you can say a lot more sometimes in five words than you can in 50. Especially when you impliment the story correctly with the visual element the is ever-present in video games. I believe if you're story is solid - not lengthy or wordy - and you have proper pathfinding elements - inspect this object, acquire this key, talk to that person, read some book, etc - then you can limit the fighting encounters to feel like a natural part of the story's experience. I'm currently working out the detail for a campaign that I want to release all at once which has that kind of quality to it.

So what I am afraid of is a great plot but having little words (maybe a sentence or two) and people think :god this guy got lazy with dialog: but I seem to put paragraphs in each dialog.